The Student Room Group

Ask me anything - a BCU Psychology Student!

Hi all,

I'm a second year psychology student here at Birmingham City University, and throughout my time studying this course I've come across so many fascinating topics that sparked my curiosity to further delve into the subject.

My two favourite modules that I've learnt so far were covered in my first year, those two being: (1) Individual Differences and Personality, and (2) Positive Psychology and Counselling. I think these two modules were my favourite because I loved learning about the behavioural aspects in psychology, and a lot of what we learnt in these modules demonstrated habits we could adopt to "increase the quality" of our own lives.

I got really lucky with my timetable this year, and I'm crossing my fingers I get something similar next year too. I'm in uni three times a week, Monday to Wednesday and my lessons only start in the afternoon. Although I have lectures and seminars everyday, I can leave uni just before the winter sun begins to set. Most people envy me for having a four day weekend, but do you really get weekends when you're studying psychology at uni?

We have three modules per semester, and we actually get to choose a few of the modules we want to learn for that semester. The assessments we do vary and depend on the module. For example for Forensic Psychology, my grades derive from a leaflet (worth 25%) and a time constrained assessment (worth 75%). On the other hand, past modules have consisted of an essay (worth 60%) and five quizzes (collectively worth 40%).

The most exciting part of my course, in my opinion are the endless opportunities and events offered by our subject and module leads. They are frequently posting in our forums for volunteering and placement opportunities. The volunteering opportunities offered are situated all over Birmingham and work with organisations within and outside university, catering to all types of interests.

There is so much more I'd love to share about my course, but this thread would be never-ending! Ask me anything you guys would like to know more about :smile:

Best wishes,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest