The Student Room Group

Broke up with my partner before their exams

Yes it is as the title says and I feel bad about it.
My partner and I are long distance, and I’m currently in my teenage years too. We live like miles apart and after some thought, I considered breaking up.
I decided to talk to them on a day I knew they wouldn’t have school, which was yesterday. I asked them if they had work too, and they said they did but only in a couple of hours. I wanted to postpone it due to that but they really wanted me to get it over with (as I already told them I needed to talk to them about something important) so I eventually told them that I’m leaning more towards breaking up than being on a hiatus for our relationship.
Then they asked me if I could delay a bit because they have exams this and next week and I honestly had no idea. So I said that of course we can hold off a bit as I’d love to support them during it. So we didn’t really break up. But now obviously we’re in this super weird middle state. I’ve never wanted to add them additional stress and I would never plan to break up during exams. But I just had no idea until now. I know they are distraught but I don’t know how to make it better, cuz obviously now it’s clear that the relationship will end anyway. What can I do?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yes it is as the title says and I feel bad about it.
My partner and I are long distance, and I’m currently in my teenage years too. We live like miles apart and after some thought, I considered breaking up.
I decided to talk to them on a day I knew they wouldn’t have school, which was yesterday. I asked them if they had work too, and they said they did but only in a couple of hours. I wanted to postpone it due to that but they really wanted me to get it over with (as I already told them I needed to talk to them about something important) so I eventually told them that I’m leaning more towards breaking up than being on a hiatus for our relationship.
Then they asked me if I could delay a bit because they have exams this and next week and I honestly had no idea. So I said that of course we can hold off a bit as I’d love to support them during it. So we didn’t really break up. But now obviously we’re in this super weird middle state. I’ve never wanted to add them additional stress and I would never plan to break up during exams. But I just had no idea until now. I know they are distraught but I don’t know how to make it better, cuz obviously now it’s clear that the relationship will end anyway. What can I do?

Seems wrong of you to do that during an exam or an exam to take place now their head is within two places ideally they’d have wanted focus and attention on their exam. Don’t you think maybe speaking about this afterwards made sense or to take a break reassess and then tell afterwards
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
Seems wrong of you to do that during an exam or an exam to take place now their head is within two places ideally they’d have wanted focus and attention on their exam. Don’t you think maybe speaking about this afterwards made sense or to take a break reassess and then tell afterwards

Hey, I don’t know if you read it but I didn’t know they had exams. I did. lots of checks to make sure their mind was free and as we live in different counteries I didn’t expect them to have exams during this time. Normally they tell me as well but they only told me after the conversation, I really really had no idea and that is the worst part about it all
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed_80

Whenever we have these conversations I always try to time it really well so that I don’t interrupt any important events. I just had no idea this time around, I should’ve asked but it didn’t come across my mind. We talk about it everything and usually I would be aware prior to it, I asked about school about work just to make sure they were free, and only after the convo was done then they let me know. I’d never have dreamed to do something like that to them, I do love and care for them. And that’s why I try to suck it up and move on.. but I really didn’t know this time
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, I don’t know if you read it but I didn’t know they had exams. I did. lots of checks to make sure their mind was free and as we live in different counteries I didn’t expect them to have exams during this time. Normally they tell me as well but they only told me after the conversation, I really really had no idea and that is the worst part about it all

Yeah that’s peak was it a breakdown in relationship or was there other reasons behind it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending