The Student Room Group

Oxford MSc in Advanced Computer Science 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Rejections are still going out unfourtantly
Yep, rejected as well. Good luck everyone else!
Got a rejection email 3 hours ago. All the best to everyone!
Got rejected finally...:smile: Don't know how to give a good application... Rejected last year too... Don't want to waste years in reapplying though....
Good job to everyone who applied! Got rejected sadly. That's the last of all the decisions iiuc, unless you got an interview last night?

Would be interested to know what all the accepted people study at uni? Myself and 4 others who do CS at KCL got rejected. They're all pretty cracked, surprised literally none of us got even an interview 😮
Original post by Anonymous #22
Got rejected finally...:smile: Don't know how to give a good application... Rejected last year too... Don't want to waste years in reapplying though....
I guess do you feel you did enough within the 1 year span to make your application more competitive?
Original post by Anonymous #37
I guess do you feel you did enough within the 1 year span to make your application more competitive?
All the best to all those who are accepted! Yes personally thought had more to add to the application but don't know why. Though didn't have very high GPA score(according to Indian standards) compared to other, but had few internships and exams like GRE. I think I screwed in SOP. Don't know the exact format to do.. every guy in internet tells a different format. Anyways, all is well and congrats to all who got the offer!
Original post by Anonymous #22
All the best to all those who are accepted! Yes personally thought had more to add to the application but don't know why. Though didn't have very high GPA score(according to Indian standards) compared to other, but had few internships and exams like GRE. I think I screwed in SOP. Don't know the exact format to do.. every guy in internet tells a different format. Anyways, all is well and congrats to all who got the offer!

I'm an Indian guy who has already completed this masters course. I had a very strong profile, having worked at two of the Big 5s and other things also. This course is highly competitive to get in and every component of your application is graded. I was interviewed by a person who is a world expert in the field and the interview was tough but I answered most of the questions. Also the course is tough to get through, fast paced and also very theoretical and mathematical in nature as opposed to industry oriented masters in the US. So everyone pls don't feel like this is the end of the world. I had felt the same when I didn't get into the other famous uni back then but it's alright! If anyone needs any help or feedback in improving their applications you can DM me. Heartiest congratulations to everyone who got in and best of luck to everyone else! :smile:
I'm an Indian guy who has already completed this masters course. I had a very strong profile, having worked at two of the Big 5s and other things also. This course is highly competitive to get in and every component of your application is graded. I was interviewed by a person who is a world expert in the field and the interview was tough but I answered most of the questions. Also the course is tough to get through, fast paced and also very theoretical and mathematical in nature as opposed to industry oriented masters in the US. So everyone pls don't feel like this is the end of the world. I had felt the same when I didn't get into the other famous uni back then but it's alright! If anyone needs any help or feedback in improving their applications you can DM me. Heartiest congratulations to everyone who got in and best of luck to everyone else! :smile:
Reply 429
Original post by Bhavikexperiment
Hi Bro, not able to DM you privately. I'm also from India, who is rejected this time. Can you elaborate your qualifications which got you into this program if you are good with it?
Reply 430
Original post by Bhavikexperiment
Also, I have seen PhD in CS at Cambridge is still open. Is it a good idea to apply directly after completing bachelors? Bcos I've seen in their requirements that they accept bachelors but Masters is preferred?
Original post by GTA6 X
Also, I have seen PhD in CS at Cambridge is still open. Is it a good idea to apply directly after completing bachelors? Bcos I've seen in their requirements that they accept bachelors but Masters is preferred?

I've a close friend who's a PhD student here. I'm from Armenia and doing an MPhil ACS at Cambridge. They sometimes request and require even two master's degrees including one research master's and one normal. So it is highly advisable to go for masters before. The only ones who probably get in the PhD directly are from top unis like Stanford and Berkeley with top undergraduate grades and letters from world leading faculty members. So, do not try for that. It's extremely competitive there with 900+ applications received for 50 places this year for the Cambridge CS PhD.
Reply 432
Original post by Anonymous #12
I've a close friend who's a PhD student here. I'm from Armenia and doing an MPhil ACS at Cambridge. They sometimes request and require even two master's degrees including one research master's and one normal. So it is highly advisable to go for masters before. The only ones who probably get in the PhD directly are from top unis like Stanford and Berkeley with top undergraduate grades and letters from world leading faculty members. So, do not try for that. It's extremely competitive there with 900+ applications received for 50 places this year for the Cambridge CS PhD.
Thanks for the information. By the way how does MSC ACS and MPhil ACS differ. It seems like only the finest of the finest get their ways to ACS.
Original post by GTA6 X
Hi Bro, not able to DM you privately. I'm also from India, who is rejected this time. Can you elaborate your qualifications which got you into this program if you are good with it?

Hi. Yes. I'm from India, a gold medalist from a tier 2 college, worked for 2 of the Big 5s, 2 international internships, lots of relevant work and research experience, awards, top grades and very strong letters from my FAANG manager and professors. The year I did my ACS, there were like 650 applications for 40 places. Now I've got into PhDs at both Oxbridge, Harvard and CMU.

Also regarding what the Armenian guy said above, it's very true. Master's for the PhD in CS is absolutely essential - for us Indians at least. There are people who do the MPhil ACS which has received over 1100 applications this year for 70 places - as heard on the group. People who get directly into the PhD are rare, like 2-4 students from top 10-20 schools in the world with stellar academic and research profile as undergrad students. I will suggest you to work on your profile and apply again next year or apply to other schools also.

And yes you're right, only the best of the best get into ACS. All the best to you buddy! :smile:
Hi everyone!
I got my rejection a couple of weeks ago and I have been thinking hard on what I could improve for next year, in case I decide on waiting. I'm chilean, studied engineering at the best uni here and majored in both industrial engineering and computer science, graduating first among 300 graduates. Also got a masters in operations research, same uni. My references were written by arguably the most accomplished researcher in operations management, he's got an edelman award and all. I have got a couple internships in decent companies, and have been researching on deep learning applications on wildfire management since I graduated about a year ago. My chance on improving my application is publishing a bunch of new papers on deep learning applications, but I cant think of anything else. Maybe I can improve my english, I did the ielts and scored 8.0, with a 7.0 on writing, but I dont know how relevant that is. Congrats to everyone that got in, and best of luck to those that didnt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending