The Student Room Group

Oxford MSc in Advanced Computer Science 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coltrane57
I received an interview invitation just now. The interview will be done next week.

Good luck! What stream and when did you apply?
(and out of curiosity what kind of things did they ask you to prepare for the interview?)
Original post by Anonymous #4
Good luck! What stream and when did you apply?
(and out of curiosity what kind of things did they ask you to prepare for the interview?)

Did I miss where in the application we were asked for a stream?
Original post by Anonymous #7
Did I miss where in the application we were asked for a stream?

Oh sorry, no, it was a question of which general area of interest you had.
ML/programming languages etc etc
Have received an interview invitation just now. It is arranged in 3 days and there is such a short time to prepare.
Reply 64
Original post by sandwichman2
In two days' time

Hey, man! Have you had your interview? Hope it went well
Original post by mouud
Hey, man! Have you had your interview? Hope it went well

Hi! I think I bombed it because they asked a lot about algorithms stuff instead of the stuff I mentioned on my PS. Good luck to everyone else applying!
Hi! I think I bombed it because they asked a lot about algorithms stuff instead of the stuff I mentioned on my PS. Good luck to everyone else applying!

You never know sometimes people feel like they didn't do really well but you might be surprised with the outcome. It all depends on what they are looking for during that interview.
Btw, were you asked to write any answers down during the interview?

Sorry to hear that man, I think they don't expect you to get everything! Just want to see you think :biggrin: I am waiting for a potential interview, may I DM you about your background and details?
Original post by Anonymous #8
You never know sometimes people feel like they didn't do really well but you might be surprised with the outcome. It all depends on what they are looking for during that interview.
Btw, were you asked to write any answers down during the interview?

Thank you! And no I wasn't, although having pen and paper would have helped. The questions are like tutorial questions for your average introductory course in algorithms, as well as some things I mentioned in my PS. Although, they totally neglected to ask about the topic I spent most of my PS talking about, presumably because they are not familiar with it.
Sorry to hear that man, I think they don't expect you to get everything! Just want to see you think :biggrin: I am waiting for a potential interview, may I DM you about your background and details?

Yeah sure go ahead
Thought I'd post a bit about myself since I find myself compulsively checking this thread.

My background (without identifying myself too much):
Academic - Pure maths student, top 3% of my cohort at ( Imperial | UCL ), 85%+ unweighted average grade.
Professional experience - software engineering internship at ( Citi | Goldman Sachs | JP Morgan ), paid open-source work in the ecosystem of a programming language.

Current status: have not heard anything from Oxford, kind of hoping to not have to do an interview.
Reply 71
Original post by Anonymous #10
Thought I'd post a bit about myself since I find myself compulsively checking this thread.

My background (without identifying myself too much):
Academic - Pure maths student, top 3% of my cohort at ( Imperial | UCL ), 85%+ unweighted average grade.
Professional experience - software engineering internship at ( Citi | Goldman Sachs | JP Morgan ), paid open-source work in the ecosystem of a programming language.

Current status: have not heard anything from Oxford, kind of hoping to not have to do an interview.

Based on previous threads and sources across the web, your background is pretty good and have a great chance of a direct entry. I am so nervous as I did not apply to any other uni and I'm an international student.
Original post by mouud
Based on previous threads and sources across the web, your background is pretty good and have a great chance of a direct entry. I am so nervous as I did not apply to any other uni and I'm an international student.

Thank you for the kind words, I just wish I could stop myself from checking my email/this thread.

I also only applied to one other university which is outside the UK.

But we made these choices consciously, I am happy to start working if I get rejections for both of these unis.
Reply 73
Thank you for the kind words, I just wish I could stop myself from checking my email/this thread.

I also only applied to one other university which is outside the UK.

But we made these choices consciously, I am happy to start working if I get rejections for both of these unis.

You're welcome! I keep checking my email between every 30mins to an hour. Don't say that, interview invites just started rolling out. I can say we have a week or two. Otherwise, we just gotta hope direct entries happen in March.
Original post by mouud
You're welcome! I keep checking my email between every 30mins to an hour. Don't say that, interview invites just started rolling out. I can say we have a week or two. Otherwise, we just gotta hope direct entries happen in March.

The direct entries happen in march (source: a friend who applied)!
I am in the same boat, email refreshing for this and 4 other programmes. Just one more month max of this!
Reply 75
The direct entries happen in March (source: a friend who applied)!
I am in the same boat, email refreshing for this and 4 other programmes. Just one more month max of this!

Yes, it does. I meant if someone does not get an invite for an interview within the next two weeks, he/she just has to hope for a direct entry in March. Anyway, fingers crossed and all the best!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by mouud

You mean "I am happy to start working if I get rejections for both of these unis"? I mean that in the most literal way!
Reply 77
You mean "I am happy to start working if I get rejections for both of these unis"? I mean that in the most literal way!

Okay, all the best!
My upload button just disappeared for the programme today, did the people who got interviews lined up also have the same?
To clarify, havent been asked for an interview but this is later at night so might be coming in the way or just automatic rejection 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending