The Student Room Group

Is it ok to reject Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
It's not safe to walk - I have almost be taken out by a cyclist going through a red light as I crossed the road.

Cyclists are frequently cycling through red lights and where they shouldn't be!

The plural of anecdote is not data!

In any event, I suggest that the problem of aggressive cycling is worse in London than it is in Oxford, or at the least no better. I live in London but am often in Oxford. I do not think that the choice between UCL and Oxford ought to hang on the chances of being run over by a cyclist.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by CAG575
Both Oxford and UCL are good universities. Op should visit both , once all the offers are in, and choose the one which they feel they will be most happy at. It is absolutely fine to reject Oxford if you would rather go to UCL. Just make sure that you are fully informed about both before you make the decision - rather than swayed by people that you don’t know on an Internet forum.

This is very good advice.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
The plural of anecdote is not data!

In any event, I suggest that the problem of aggressive cycling is worse in London than it is in Oxford, or at the least no better. I live in London but am often in Oxford. I do not think that the choice between UCL and Oxford ought to hang on the chances of being run over by a cyclist.

You think I'm the only one! I see it far too often in Oxford.

My niece did her DPhil in Oxford and is now doing pos-doc research in London. She cycles 8 miles across London - she says, as do colleagues, it's far safer.

You were the one putting this forward as a reason to chose Oxford - not me!!!!!
Congrats on your offer .
I wouldn't reject Oxford just yet as you may not receive offers from other universities I know its unlikely as you've had an offer from one the top universities. It's down to you.
All I'm going to say is London is stressful to travel around its expensive to even buy bread and Oxford could seriously open more doors. If you have time to visit your chosen universities including Oxford definitively do it. Look at what each university has to offer you . Speak to family about it.
Either way it's your future, your preference go with what you want
You have think which one you're going to benefit more from, can are you eligible for a scholarship or bursaries. As you can't work at while studying at Oxford can you gain voluntary experience. Will being in London benefit you more while it's down to personal preference you also need to remember you're investing in your future although the end goal is the same, which one is going to make life easier. Which university are you going to learn more from . Should Oxford be be a consideration if you're not that interested in studying there. It's fine to reject a university as they will be expecting hundreds of potential students to reject for another university.
While Oxford doesn't have the most exciting student social life life that doesn't mean you can't visit London during the end of term however if you don't like being somewhere you most likely would excel.

Make a pros and cons list if you're not sure or put Oxford down as an insurance choice.
You think I'm the only one! I see it far too often in Oxford.

My niece did her DPhil in Oxford and is now doing pos-doc research in London. She cycles 8 miles across London - she says, as do colleagues, it's far safer.

You were the one putting this forward as a reason to chose Oxford - not me!!!!!

The point I raised was that in Oxford you don't need to use tubes, buses, and trains. Oxford is smaller and less expensive than London, not least because for most students travel within the city is either free (walk) or low cost (bike). Having lived, studied, and worked in both cities, and being in both regularly nowadays, the suggestion that Oxford is a less safe place to walk around in (or cycle around in) than London strikes me as implausible, but the subjective experiences of me, you, or your niece don't amount to evidence. I reiterate that the choice of university is hardly likely to hinge on the traffic. There are so many other factors which bear on the decision.
(edited 2 months ago)
The point I raised was that in Oxford you don't need to use tubes, buses, and trains. Oxford is smaller and less expensive than London, not least because for most students travel within the city is either free (walk) or low cost (bike). Having lived, studied, and worked in both cities, and being in both regularly nowadays, the suggestion that Oxford is a less safe place to walk around in (or cycle around in) than London strikes me as implausible, but the subjective experiences of me, you, or your niece don't amount to evidence. I reiterate that the choice of university is hardly likely to hinge on the traffic. There are so many other factors which bear on the decision.

Your 'evidence' is no more valid than mine ... at least what I report comes from a number of people.
Your 'evidence' is no more valid than mine ... at least what I report comes from a number of people.

That is the very point I just made.

OP, whatever you decide, I hope that things go well for you.
Original post by Anonymous #4
You have think which one you're going to benefit more from, can are you eligible for a scholarship or bursaries. As you can't work at while studying at Oxford can you gain voluntary experience. Will being in London benefit you more while it's down to personal preference you also need to remember you're investing in your future although the end goal is the same, which one is going to make life easier. Which university are you going to learn more from . Should Oxford be be a consideration if you're not that interested in studying there. It's fine to reject a university as they will be expecting hundreds of potential students to reject for another university.
While Oxford doesn't have the most exciting student social life life that doesn't mean you can't visit London during the end of term however if you don't like being somewhere you most likely would excel.

Make a pros and cons list if you're not sure or put Oxford down as an insurance choice.

A note on visiting London from Oxford: as well as trains to Paddington (faster) and to Marylebone (slower but cheaper), the 24 hour bus service between Oxford and London is good and is relatively inexpensive. In my final year at Oxford I went to London a lot, mainly for reasons to do with my career plans, and I used the bus. I have only studied at two universities (and taught briefly at another two), so I can't say which universities have the best social life, but the social opportunities at Oxford, both collegiate and university-based, struck me as ample when I was an undergraduate.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by tastierspoon460
Hi, so I'm in y13 and i've just received an offer to study medicine at Oxford. The problem is that I'm not sure if I want to go yet. I particularly like UCL (I haven't heard back from them yet so this is all theoretical anyway), but here's kind of the reasons.

For Oxford -

- It's oxford --> it's a really good uni.
- It's a lot cheaper than London.
- It's also safer than London.
- Better societies (for me)

For London

- I think I would find Oxford stressful - one of my close friends who I'm quite similar with went to study Medicine and dropped out bc of the pressure
- I really really like London
- There's so much more to do in London
- The course has better options (SSCs, intercalation choices) for my personal goals
- UCL is more diverse (which might be better especially in medicine to meet people from all backgrounds and also I'm gay and northern with a strong accent which idk if that affects it)
- I'm not too interested in a major focus on research, which Oxford really seems keen on
- Even though Oxford is cheaper, you can't work there, and I get a reduced student loan + no money from my parents, so I would need to work to sustain myself.

UCL is only a few places behind Oxford on league tables, and it's 6th in the world, so it's not hugely bad for me.

I need opinions though, bc I really do like UCL but I feel like it's quite hard for me to consciously reject Oxford (I'm very indecisive which probably makes it a bit worse).

Sorry it's quite a long post but I would be curious for opinions :smile:
I'm not sure whether any actually cares lmao but I thought I'd do a little update on what I'm gonna do :smile:

If I don't get into UCL, I'll firm Oxford.
If I do get into UCL, the offer is (marginally) higher than Oxford's, so I'm going to firm UCL and insurance Oxford. While this sounds very stupid (and kind of is), Oxford's actually my easiest-to-get medicine offer as they're all A*AA, but Oxford has no subject requirements (and UCL's subject requirements are for A stars in my worst subjects), and if I don't get into medicine this year I'd rather take a gap year.

Thank you for all the opinions though, I did actually take some of the stuff ppl have said into account, but my main reasoning ended up being that no matter the academic prestige, I would much much rather spend 6 years of my life in London + UCL has better choices on its course. :smile:
I'm not sure whether any actually cares lmao but I thought I'd do a little update on what I'm gonna do :smile:

If I do get into UCL, the offer is (marginally) higher than Oxford's, so I'm going to firm UCL and insurance Oxford. While this sounds very stupid (and kind of is), Oxford's actually my easiest-to-get medicine offer as they're all A*AA, but Oxford has no subject requirements (and UCL's subject requirements are for A stars in my worst subjects), and if I don't get into medicine this year I'd rather take a gap year.

Thank you for all the opinions though, I did actually take some of the stuff ppl have said into account, but my main reasoning ended up being that no matter the academic prestige, I would much much rather spend 6 years of my life in London + UCL has better choices on its course. :smile:

I care! Been following this thread, though I don't think I ended up commenting. Sounds like you've come to a very good decision, especially since you prefer the course content at UCL. Fingers crossed you get the offer you're hoping for :smile:

Thank you for updating us. I also care that you end up where you will be happiest :smile:

One of my ex-students is doing post-doc research into a rare disease at UCL :smile:
Hi, so I'm in y13 and i've just received an offer to study medicine at Oxford. The problem is that I'm not sure if I want to go yet. I particularly like UCL (I haven't heard back from them yet so this is all theoretical anyway), but here's kind of the reasons.

For Oxford -

- It's oxford --> it's a really good uni.
- It's a lot cheaper than London.
- It's also safer than London.
- Better societies (for me)

For London

- I think I would find Oxford stressful - one of my close friends who I'm quite similar with went to study Medicine and dropped out bc of the pressure
- I really really like London
- There's so much more to do in London
- The course has better options (SSCs, intercalation choices) for my personal goals
- UCL is more diverse (which might be better especially in medicine to meet people from all backgrounds and also I'm gay and northern with a strong accent which idk if that affects it)
- I'm not too interested in a major focus on research, which Oxford really seems keen on
- Even though Oxford is cheaper, you can't work there, and I get a reduced student loan + no money from my parents, so I would need to work to sustain myself.

UCL is only a few places behind Oxford on league tables, and it's 6th in the world, so it's not hugely bad for me.

I need opinions though, bc I really do like UCL but I feel like it's quite hard for me to consciously reject Oxford (I'm very indecisive which probably makes it a bit worse).

Sorry it's quite a long post but I would be curious for opinions :smile:

Go for ucl
Reply 53

Thanks for the update but do go to offer days if you get the chance.Perfectly well reasoned decision btw.
Good luck, Tastierspoon, with whatever path you take. You will obtain a great training at either university. Thank you for choosing to become a doctor, and may the NHS live forever!
(edited 2 months ago)
By the way, a question for any medics at Oxford or Cambridge, just out of curiosity. When I was an undergraduate in the 1980s, it was still sometimes the done thing (albeit that it was becoming rare) to do the first three years of medicine at one of those universities, and then go to London for the rest of the training. My late father in law did that in the late 1940s (Oxford followed by Bart's, or Guy's, I can't recall which, and then into the RAMC for national service as a military doctor). Is that Oxbridge-London thing still done, or is it a practice that has died out?
By the way, a question for any medics at Oxford or Cambridge, just out of curiosity. When I was an undergraduate in the 1980s, it was still sometimes the done thing (albeit that it was becoming rare) to do the first three years of medicine at one of those universities, and then go to London for the rest of the training. My late father in law did that in the late 1940s (Oxford followed by Bart's, or Guy's, I can't recall which, and then into the RAMC for national service as a military doctor). Is that Oxbridge-London thing still done, or is it a practice that has died out?
I was looking at that, because it was kind of a perfect option for me, but unfortunately they discontinued it 3-4 years ago, which is a shame :smile:
Yes it is ok to reject Oxford, however, I rejected Oxford for undergraduate due to caring responsibilities and have regretted it ever since. In terms of medicine, Oxford does actually allow you to undertake some clinical assignments in London but even in Oxford there is the Radcliffe and Oxford is at the cutting edge of medical research so even if you don’t want to go into research yourself learning about the future of medicine from the experts creating it seems a good move.
Hi! First congratulations on getting into Oxford!! I'm currently in year 11 hoping to do medicine in the future. In terms of extracurriculars and grades, what did you need to get the offer? Thank you!
Original post by Studentanomaly
Hi! First congratulations on getting into Oxford!! I'm currently in year 11 hoping to do medicine in the future. In terms of extracurriculars and grades, what did you need to get the offer? Thank you!
I think what I needed was:

Good GCSEs (they use a combination of GCSEs and an admissions test at most unis to determine who gets an interview).

Admission test (from next years that's the UCAT for everywhere but Oxford, but that's not something to think about).

Work experience - I got mine through a volunteering scheme my local hospital has (I'm not sure whether your area will have that but its worth looking into).

Decent predicted A-Levels (basically they want to know that you can get the grades to meet the offer).

A good interview (obviously this one's more subjective but it's definitely worth doing interview prep).

Apart from that, the other extracurriculars and stuff I did I don't think had a huge bearing on my application. I do music and learn languages, and related that to my interest in medicine. As long as you can find a way to link it to medicine, it should be okay (anything like sports, part-time job, etc.)

But overall, I would say that you don't really need to majorly worry right now (it's more something to focus on in Year 12). Obviously finding out about volunteering is useful anyway as it could help you decide whether you'd actually enjoy working in a hospital, but for now it's more GCSEs. Hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending