The Student Room Group

How do you build confidence ?

Hi, any tips of being more of a confident speaker and contributing more. I really want to but not used to it and always hold back like in class settings and in general with people i don’t know. I want to really get used to it as I’ve always just listened rather than sharing my opinions. Now I have a presentation coming up I’m gonna be nervous:frown: Even if I’m confident at what I’m going to say my heart just races. I want to make the most of my degree and contribute before i regret it. Also I want to work with people in the future so I need to become better in general . Thank youu
Hi

This might sound silly but something that really helped me when doing presentations in class was that i knew everyone around me is also nervous so instead of paying attention to what i was saying, most people were just having their own thoughts and nerves about presenting next. That helped me narrow down my audience to just my teacher and a few other students and i pretended like the other students werent in the room with me.

Also drink lots of water, breathe slowly, make sure to present it in front of ur friends or a family so you know exactly what to say.

wear clothes that u feel good and comfortable in. wearing something we like helps our brain calm down and we feel mentally better when we look better.

Dont worry about what other people think cause at the end of the day everyone has their weaknesses and no one should be judged for it, lifes too short to spend ur time worrying.

i hope ur presentation goes well and even if it doesnt, its not the end of the world u still have time to build up ur confidence.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, any tips of being more of a confident speaker and contributing more. I really want to but not used to it and always hold back like in class settings and in general with people i don’t know. I want to really get used to it as I’ve always just listened rather than sharing my opinions. Now I have a presentation coming up I’m gonna be nervous:frown: Even if I’m confident at what I’m going to say my heart just races. I want to make the most of my degree and contribute before i regret it. Also I want to work with people in the future so I need to become better in general . Thank youu

I heard some interesting advice on confidence. The most commonly offered advice is to fake it and to an extent that works.

However, they suggested that confidence comes from doing difficult things. And the more difficult things you do the more confident you become in being able to do difficult things.

So your difficult thing is to speak up and contribute more. So the tip is - speak up and contribute more. At present, you are choosing not to do these things but you can choose the reverse quite easily. And the more you do it, the more confident you will become.
Reply 3
Original post by angelicmoodz
Hi

This might sound silly but something that really helped me when doing presentations in class was that i knew everyone around me is also nervous so instead of paying attention to what i was saying, most people were just having their own thoughts and nerves about presenting next. That helped me narrow down my audience to just my teacher and a few other students and i pretended like the other students werent in the room with me.

Also drink lots of water, breathe slowly, make sure to present it in front of ur friends or a family so you know exactly what to say.

wear clothes that u feel good and comfortable in. wearing something we like helps our brain calm down and we feel mentally better when we look better.

Dont worry about what other people think cause at the end of the day everyone has their weaknesses and no one should be judged for it, lifes too short to spend ur time worrying.

i hope ur presentation goes well and even if it doesnt, its not the end of the world u still have time to build up ur confidence.

Thank youu
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud

I heard some interesting advice on confidence. The most commonly offered advice is to fake it and to an extent that works.

However, they suggested that confidence comes from doing difficult things. And the more difficult things you do the more confident you become in being able to do difficult things.

So your difficult thing is to speak up and contribute more. So the tip is - speak up and contribute more. At present, you are choosing not to do these things but you can choose the reverse quite easily. And the more you do it, the more confident you will become.

Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending