The Student Room Group

GYG Asks: How do you organise and plan your revision?

Hello everyone, exams are on the horizon for a lot of us whether we like it or not!

My question to you is:
How do you organise and plan your revision?

Do you like to work in time blocks? Do you write a daily to-do list or make a weekly one?

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone, exams are on the horizon for a lot of us whether we like it or not!

My question to you is:

Do you like to work in time blocks? Do you write a daily to-do list or make a weekly one?

Let me know below!!
Hi @emm4nuella,

I devised a revision timetable that worked for me, and religiously kept at it!

In the beginning devising a timetable felt overwhelming because I was unsure of which subjects/topics I should dedicate my time to and how much of my time I should put toward it. But a helpful tip I received from my tutor was to mirror my revision schedule to my actual timetable in college/sixth form.

For example, if on Mondays I had Chemistry and Biology- I would focus on those subjects when I came back home. And I would revise the same topics we covered that day in class. Some would argue that it could be impractical as you're just learning the same thing and repeating what was covered. But I saw it as an opportunity to further strengthen my understanding of the topic and help engrain it in my head. I would do this for the rest of the week as well.

In terms of how I used the time revising, I would refer to the specification points and ensure that any notes I made sufficiently covered and addressed the spec points. I would also have an attempt at topical questions to familiarise myself with the formatting of the questions I can expect in the exam.

I also integrated the pomodoro technique with my revision timetable. I would revise for an hour straight with no distractions, then take a twenty minute break in between. This cycle repeats until I met my goal for the day, (or before it's time for dinner and unwind).

I found that sticking to this routine helped me achieve a lot throughout sixth form :smile:
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @emm4nuella,

I devised a revision timetable that worked for me, and religiously kept at it!

In the beginning devising a timetable felt overwhelming because I was unsure of which subjects/topics I should dedicate my time to and how much of my time I should put toward it. But a helpful tip I received from my tutor was to mirror my revision schedule to my actual timetable in college/sixth form.

For example, if on Mondays I had Chemistry and Biology- I would focus on those subjects when I came back home. And I would revise the same topics we covered that day in class. Some would argue that it could be impractical as you're just learning the same thing and repeating what was covered. But I saw it as an opportunity to further strengthen my understanding of the topic and help engrain it in my head. I would do this for the rest of the week as well.

In terms of how I used the time revising, I would refer to the specification points and ensure that any notes I made sufficiently covered and addressed the spec points. I would also have an attempt at topical questions to familiarise myself with the formatting of the questions I can expect in the exam.

I also integrated the pomodoro technique with my revision timetable. I would revise for an hour straight with no distractions, then take a twenty minute break in between. This cycle repeats until I met my goal for the day, (or before it's time for dinner and unwind).

I found that sticking to this routine helped me achieve a lot throughout sixth form :smile:
Danish
BCU Student Rep
ooo i love that!! :smile: thank you @BCU Student Rep

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

hey thx for tagging me, i really like set schedules, i have a schedule for every day. i'm not quite sure what revision is, as for studying i have specific time blocks set aside for myself :smile:
Original post by MysteryyyGirl86
hey thx for tagging me, i really like set schedules, i have a schedule for every day. i'm not quite sure what revision is, as for studying i have specific time blocks set aside for myself :smile:
oh revision is ig the british way of saying studying.

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

I like to make daily to do lists recently but if I dont finish the task I ususally push it to the next day ext. And I defo work in timeblocks just a bunch of revision and then a break
Reply 6

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

I usually plan it out on that day or the day hefore because my life is quite busy so a set timetable doesn't work lmao.

I simply make a to do list in priorities and the time it takes so it can fit my life😭👍
Original post by Tatakae L
oh revision is ig the british way of saying studying.
oh ok that makes sense
Reply 8

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

I want to make timetables and lists but I'm not organised enough to do this because of the sheer amount of work I have to do andit would just kill a lot of my time that I don't have at the moment.

So therefore, I revise what I feel like doing, but flick between all of my different subjects as and when required so that I ensure that each subject is covered. They say that you should work 30 minutes and take a break and keep doing that iteratively and switching topic between each 30 minute segment but I find that the 30 minutes is only sufficient for understanding the bare basics of a topic, which is just not worth it.

In non-exam times, I can do 2 hour sittings and then take a break for 45 minutes to an hour and feel that I'm way more productive then.

In exam times, I can do 4-5 hour sittings in one go and then take a break.
i do to do lists and work harrrrd until i can check them all off
I tried making a schedule but I could never follow it so now I make a list of what I want to achieve during the week then I can work through it at my own pace and still be making progress
I try and base my revision on how much energy have, so that then I feel less guilty if I do not do as much revision as I 'should'. I tend to plan it out in Google calendar because I timeblock and make it look pretty (which may be procrastination, but hey, at least my calendar is pretty).

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

Hi there :smile:
I haven’t really been doing this yet since I have so many things coming up that I didn’t quite have the time to get in full swing with revision.
I’ve planned to do my subjects on a rotation basis. Since I have 7 subjects I’d study 1 per day :biggrin:!
If any of you have seen my gyg (insert self advertisement) I plan to-do lists the night before. I find this better to see everything I've got to do at a glance and schedule in timing for things.

I do and try and have small breaks in between of either 15, 30, or 60 mins - depending on how much work I did in that session or if I'm on a roll. In terms of how long I spend revising I try and make it varying times, like I'll do 30 mins bio then 15 mins break, 1 hour chem then 1 hour break, then 45 mins maths. So I don't get tired but actually get things done! Sometimes I just don't have the effort for an hour session so it needs to be 30 mins to be more manageable.

I'm not a big fan of pomodoro technique as I don't feel like 25 mins is enough for me and the short interval turns into a very long one!

I use notion to put in every deadline, webinar, important thing in my life so I can change my revision strategy to what I need to prioritise. Also makes sure I don't forget anything and rush it the night before.

Also doing 15 min daily revision (stole from @kayleigh_t.27 so credit to her). One topic per day for 15 mins, I try and choose an old topic to recall it. Means by end of week I have 2hrs 15 mins extra revision than when I started.

Yeah I need to be strict with myself to work to my goals (currently 2 hrs+ revision daily, hoping to increase this in a week or two). Also how are we two weeks into half term I've got 3 left!!!!

Anyway that's my way of planning, hopefully it helps someone 😁
Hello!

Usually when I have a whole week full of exams coming up like end of years/mocks, I make a revision timetable for the upcoming weeks. My revision timetable isn't exactly made up of what task I have to finish every hour or in a time frame, it's more of a to-do list I plan out for myself everyday for the next weeks which is a better method for me so I don't get stressed if I spend lots of time on one subject.

Otherwise normally, afterschool I write a short list of things I want to get done over the next few hours. It's more like an overview of subjects/topics I want to cover so even if I don't finish one topic or don't finish studying that certain subject, I allow myself to shift it over to the next day which is also another way for me to not get stressed.

Most of the time, my revision is based around science/english/geography as we cover a lot of content for these subjects in our lessons so I like to keep up with the pace by covering them in my revision time
Original post by vnayak
I want to make timetables and lists but I'm not organised enough to do this because of the sheer amount of work I have to do andit would just kill a lot of my time that I don't have at the moment.

So therefore, I revise what I feel like doing, but flick between all of my different subjects as and when required so that I ensure that each subject is covered. They say that you should work 30 minutes and take a break and keep doing that iteratively and switching topic between each 30 minute segment but I find that the 30 minutes is only sufficient for understanding the bare basics of a topic, which is just not worth it.

In non-exam times, I can do 2 hour sittings and then take a break for 45 minutes to an hour and feel that I'm way more productive then.

In exam times, I can do 4-5 hour sittings in one go and then take a break.

aah yes @vnayak time is of the essence - i get that!

Original post by agent_duck343
I tried making a schedule but I could never follow it so now I make a list of what I want to achieve during the week then I can work through it at my own pace and still be making progress
sounds like a weekly spread type thing!! that is my kind of vibe @agent_duck343
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I try and base my revision on how much energy have, so that then I feel less guilty if I do not do as much revision as I 'should'. I tend to plan it out in Google calendar because I timeblock and make it look pretty (which may be procrastination, but hey, at least my calendar is pretty).
@flowersinmyhair i have heard google calendar is very helpful when planning out revision! timeblocking is also very efficient i heard - so might try that out!!
Original post by wkstudy
Hi there :smile:
I haven’t really been doing this yet since I have so many things coming up that I didn’t quite have the time to get in full swing with revision.
I’ve planned to do my subjects on a rotation basis. Since I have 7 subjects I’d study 1 per day :biggrin:!
that's so clever @wkstudy - nice to spread out the subjects!!
Original post by study23!
If any of you have seen my gyg (insert self advertisement) I plan to-do lists the night before. I find this better to see everything I've got to do at a glance and schedule in timing for things.

I do and try and have small breaks in between of either 15, 30, or 60 mins - depending on how much work I did in that session or if I'm on a roll. In terms of how long I spend revising I try and make it varying times, like I'll do 30 mins bio then 15 mins break, 1 hour chem then 1 hour break, then 45 mins maths. So I don't get tired but actually get things done! Sometimes I just don't have the effort for an hour session so it needs to be 30 mins to be more manageable.

I'm not a big fan of pomodoro technique as I don't feel like 25 mins is enough for me and the short interval turns into a very long one!

I use notion to put in every deadline, webinar, important thing in my life so I can change my revision strategy to what I need to prioritise. Also makes sure I don't forget anything and rush it the night before.

Also doing 15 min daily revision (stole from @kayleigh_t.27 so credit to her). One topic per day for 15 mins, I try and choose an old topic to recall it. Means by end of week I have 2hrs 15 mins extra revision than when I started.

Yeah I need to be strict with myself to work to my goals (currently 2 hrs+ revision daily, hoping to increase this in a week or two). Also how are we two weeks into half term I've got 3 left!!!!

Anyway that's my way of planning, hopefully it helps someone 😁
@study23! if i do daily to-do lists i also make sure to do them the day before so i dont worry! notion is also my bestie! i might try the method that @kayleigh_t.27 suggested too
Original post by flyingturtle111
i do to do lists and work harrrrd until i can check them all off
@flyingturtle111 nice to see a fellow to-do listerr ❤️
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hello!

Usually when I have a whole week full of exams coming up like end of years/mocks, I make a revision timetable for the upcoming weeks. My revision timetable isn't exactly made up of what task I have to finish every hour or in a time frame, it's more of a to-do list I plan out for myself everyday for the next weeks which is a better method for me so I don't get stressed if I spend lots of time on one subject.

Otherwise normally, afterschool I write a short list of things I want to get done over the next few hours. It's more like an overview of subjects/topics I want to cover so even if I don't finish one topic or don't finish studying that certain subject, I allow myself to shift it over to the next day which is also another way for me to not get stressed.

Most of the time, my revision is based around science/english/geography as we cover a lot of content for these subjects in our lessons so I like to keep up with the pace by covering them in my revision time
i also follow your to-do list revision timetable-type thing! i prefer not to restrict myself to a certain timeframe! nice to see we are on the same page :smile:
My answer is so atrocious I'm going to preface this with a warning :redface:

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

I don't plan out my revision :hide:

I play it by feel - I will prioritise on the day what I think I should revise, but I don't make a conscious effort to plan ahead or to set myself a schedule.

My question to you is:

Let me know below!!

Spoiler

Heya! I tend to plan what I'm going to revise the night before each day based on a colourcoding system I do of how confident I am with each topic for each subject! I also do my 10 minute revision sessions of going over my flashcards for a specific topic for each subject every day, which I plan out for the week on a Sunday night. I find I can't use timetables to plan way in advance because I never stick to them 😭

Also great to see a few of you guys liking my short revision session idea, I'm glad it's helpful 🙂
Reply 19
Original post by Scotland Yard
My answer is so atrocious I'm going to preface this with a warning :redface:

WARNING: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

I don't plan out my revision :hide:

I play it by feel - I will prioritise on the day what I think I should revise, but I don't make a conscious effort to plan ahead or to set myself a schedule.
I do the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending