The Student Room Group

gcse physics

HELP i literally cannot understand physics and i’m not allowed to drop to foundation i have no idea how to learn it and i literally don’t know anything i’m on grade 9 for all my other subjects alr and idk how to get a 9 in physics can someone pls help that will work for someone who barley understands it 😭 thank you in advance
Original post by annabel whittle
HELP i literally cannot understand physics and i’m not allowed to drop to foundation i have no idea how to learn it and i literally don’t know anything i’m on grade 9 for all my other subjects alr and idk how to get a 9 in physics can someone pls help that will work for someone who barley understands it 😭 thank you in advance
i got you girl, i LOVE physics

first off, we get full equation sheets this year (at least for AQA), which is great, as there are so many calculations questions, and even if you don’t understand the concept, you can simply plug the numbers in and get 3 marks. find some practice questions for these and do them to get used to them.

i also find that learning short, simple facts can go a long way. for example, memorising newtons laws or the life cycle of a star is really easy, just pop it on a flashcard and practice. although it helps, i find understanding isn’t always necessary in physics, just learning something for its face value will help so much, especially for higher-marked questions.

hope this helps, sorry if it doesn’t, i’m doing gcse currently but am getting 8s/9sin physics and this has worked for me so far. good luck🫶
Original post by fjeksjxnfie
i got you girl, i LOVE physics

first off, we get full equation sheets this year (at least for AQA), which is great, as there are so many calculations questions, and even if you don’t understand the concept, you can simply plug the numbers in and get 3 marks. find some practice questions for these and do them to get used to them.

i also find that learning short, simple facts can go a long way. for example, memorising newtons laws or the life cycle of a star is really easy, just pop it on a flashcard and practice. although it helps, i find understanding isn’t always necessary in physics, just learning something for its face value will help so much, especially for higher-marked questions.

hope this helps, sorry if it doesn’t, i’m doing gcse currently but am getting 8s/9sin physics and this has worked for me so far. good luck🫶
OMG thank you sm i do AQA also do yk any good places to get resources or the facts that are useful to know ? 🫶🏻
OMG thank you sm i do AQA also do yk any good places to get resources or the facts that are useful to know ? 🫶🏻
definitely!! cognito is amazing for exam questions, they’re organised by topic so you can select ones that involve more calculations if you want to, or just weaker topics.

the spec is a great place to find facts, but i would start by going through each topic and writing the simple things that you can remember. by this i mean definition of words (specific heat capacity, specific latent heat, fission, fusion, contamination, irradiation being a good place to start as you can easily get them mixed up), or other simple concepts that can be summarised in a sentence.

i don’t use seneca so much for physics, but i’ve been using it for my english and chem and could be something to give a go? i find it quite helpful to summarise content in these subjects, as i struggle too much to understand everything in depth, but find it useful to gain some level of knowledge.

my school has a subscription to educake, and if yours does too don’t neglect this!! it’s such a good website for short, quick-fire questions to test your knowledge and understand what you don’t know yet.
(edited 1 month ago)
definitely!! cognito is amazing for exam questions, they’re organised by topic so you can select ones that involve more calculations if you want to, or just weaker topics.

the spec is a great place to find facts, but i would start by going through each topic and writing the simple things that you can remember. by this i mean definition of words (specific heat capacity, specific latent heat, fission, fusion, contamination, irradiation being a good place to start as you can easily get them mixed up), or other simple concepts that can be summarised in a sentence.

i don’t use seneca so much for physics, but i’ve been using it for my english and chem and could be something to give a go? i find it quite helpful to summarise content in these subjects, as i struggle too much to understand everything in depth, but find it useful to gain some level of knowledge.

my school has a subscription to educake, and if yours does too don’t neglect this!! it’s such a good website for short, quick-fire questions to test your knowledge and understand what you don’t know yet.
THANK YOU also when u say cognito do you mean the quiz after the videos on their website ? should i make flash cards from those and the spec
THANK YOU also when u say cognito do you mean the quiz after the videos on their website ? should i make flash cards from those and the spec
Their videos are good but personally I use their website for exam questions. They’re all arranged by topic when you click on the science you want to revise.

An addition for flashcard making: Physics Online is a great YouTube channel with walk-through mindmaps, so helpful for summaries
Their videos are good but personally I use their website for exam questions. They’re all arranged by topic when you click on the science you want to revise.

An addition for flashcard making: Physics Online is a great YouTube channel with walk-through mindmaps, so helpful for summaries
omg yes i was using those already and they are so good for explanations but when i do exam questions i literally have no idea but then look at the mark scheme and it makes sense 😭 i’ve practiced like a billion times but i never seem to get it so u have any advice ?
omg yes i was using those already and they are so good for explanations but when i do exam questions i literally have no idea but then look at the mark scheme and it makes sense 😭 i’ve practiced like a billion times but i never seem to get it so u have any advice ?
If you’re struggling with questions then I would say learn content before attempting questions, in small loads. For example, revise energy and then do all your energy questions. When getting them wrong, correct them again in a couple of days. If you’re still getting them wrong, keep repeating until it’s stuck.
If you’re struggling with questions then I would say learn content before attempting questions, in small loads. For example, revise energy and then do all your energy questions. When getting them wrong, correct them again in a couple of days. If you’re still getting them wrong, keep repeating until it’s stuck.
okay thank u sm 🫶🏻 i’ll let yk how it goes

Quick Reply

Latest