The Student Room Group

MPhil/Postgrad Economics Oxford 2024

Scroll to see replies

Anyone care to share their reasoning for choosing the Oxford MPhil?
Original post by Anonymous #18
Thanks so much for the quick response! Do you know anything about chances once on the waiting list? Highly unlikely or more like a 50/50 thing? Or even rather likely?
I received an MPhil offer, was told to confirm acceptance of the offer by 12 April.
January applicant here - just been rejected.
As someone on the MPhil in Economics at Oxford rn (I was in your shoes last year) please consider carefully all other options. I had five offers from great unis and chose to go to Oxford. Not sure it was worth it so far. The course organisation is chaotic at best, there is very little academic support, and they really try to kill you with purely theoretical material in the first year. I repeat - it is basically purely maths. The second year apparently gets better in terms of interesting topics but a year is a long time. So I would recommend if you are not dead set on the DPhil route afterwards to consider one year programs at e.g., UCL too - gets you into work faster and teaches you applied stuff in the 9 months too. The biggest plus in Oxford so far is the cohort - I guess shared trauma is a bonding experience. Sorry to curb everyone's excitement - but maybe don't be too upset if you get rejected either.
Original post by EconGirl23
As someone on the MPhil in Economics at Oxford rn (I was in your shoes last year) please consider carefully all other options. I had five offers from great unis and chose to go to Oxford. Not sure it was worth it so far. The course organisation is chaotic at best, there is very little academic support, and they really try to kill you with purely theoretical material in the first year. I repeat - it is basically purely maths. The second year apparently gets better in terms of interesting topics but a year is a long time. So I would recommend if you are not dead set on the DPhil route afterwards to consider one year programs at e.g., UCL too - gets you into work faster and teaches you applied stuff in the 9 months too. The biggest plus in Oxford so far is the cohort - I guess shared trauma is a bonding experience. Sorry to curb everyone's excitement - but maybe don't be too upset if you get rejected either.
hey I got an offer from cambridge and I'm currently waiting for Oxford. Would you say the one year program at cambridge is better if I'm not planning to do a DPhil. Also could you share a bit more about the cohort and whether that justifies taking the course?
Original post by Anonymous
hey I got an offer from cambridge and I'm currently waiting for Oxford. Would you say the one year program at cambridge is better if I'm not planning to do a DPhil. Also could you share a bit more about the cohort and whether that justifies taking the course?

Good morning and Congratulations! To the benefits of this course haha: the people are lovely. Even the ones that might have started off a bit arrogant get humbled so quickly by the course that there develops more or less a team spirit. It is us against the material not each other. I assume the cohort itself is also a great network for the future - some of us will definitely be going places. Obviously studying in Oxford as such is great - don't get me wrong - although you will have very little time to enjoy it for most of the first year unless you have a super strong maths background (I am taking straight maths undergrad or already a masters in econ, which some people here have, still crazy to me). In general people coming from very maths heavy undergrad programs (like LSE) seem to have been less shell shocked in the beginning. I don't know anything about the Cambridge course I am afraid - my supervisors at the time were very Oxford biased and the early Cambridge application deadline didn't work out for me. One other positive: if you were to be interested in a DPhil (maybe of help for someone else): Oxford seems to love taking people from the MPhil onto the DPhil (as long as the grades are okay). I chose Oxford because I liked the two year layout - you have far more time to actually write a proper thesis in the end and explore all the optimal modules in year two, I will be working here as a RA over the summer (so you have more time to get involved in academia) and I am not a big city person. I didn't mean to scare anyone, but my fried group and I just recently had the discussion "what we wish they had told us about Oxford" because fact is if you are coming from an applied econ undergrad (like I did, still Russel group but less maths)/or have taken a lot of applied modules instead of the theory/or coming from a combined econ and something course, you will be suffering in your first year. Not saying you can't make it, just letting you know what you are in for. All the best
Man just got rejected, off to UCL I suppose
Just got put on the waitlist for the MPhil (applied for the March deadline)! Am wondering if it’s likely to get off? Also, for those with offers, what day must you respond to your offer by (asking for timeline reasons for when spots could open)? Thanks in advance! X
Got a formal offer 2 days ago (applied with the March deadline). Already accepted it. See you at Oxford.
Original post by DemosthenesK
Got a formal offer 2 days ago (applied with the March deadline). Already accepted it. See you at Oxford.

Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what was the deadline to accept your offer?
Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what was the deadline to accept your offer?

I got my offer in mid-March with a deadline to accept by 12 April so hopefully you'll hear back soon!

Thank you! First week of May.
Which colleges have you guys been allocated?
Was waitlisted about 2 weeks ago - has anyone heard back on their status since the April 12 offer acceptance deadline?
Was waitlisted about 2 weeks ago - has anyone heard back on their status since the April 12 offer acceptance deadline?

No news yet on my end - Trinity is just starting so they are probably extra busy!
Is there a WhatsApp group for offer holders? If not, should we make one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending