The Student Room Group

What was the first book that got you into reading?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by koolkhad
Twas the Lemony Snicket book A Series Of Unfortunate Events.. I just loved how there was no resolution or no good ending on each book and James Bond.. each book was amazing

I loved these so much! They were amazing and I'd totally forgotten about them until I saw your post.

Any other Philip Pullman fans out there?
Definitely the Magic Faraway tree, my parents loved the book and I guess passed that down to me
Original post by Pwca
I loved these so much! They were amazing and I'd totally forgotten about them until I saw your post.
Oh yesss I cant remember which books of his I read but my primary school also had a collection of his books so I know I read them. I totaly forgot about him.
Original post by Tatakae L
Oh yesss I cant remember which books of his I read but my primary school also had a collection of his books so I know I read them. I totaly forgot about him.

I kinda remember some of them being quite disturbing and like... I guess grown up for kids' books? They were lowkey a bit scary in places.
Original post by Pwca
I kinda remember some of them being quite disturbing and like... I guess grown up for kids' books? They were lowkey a bit scary in places.
Honestly same, I think I might have read them year 4 ish, but I honestly dont remember the plot to any of them:confused:
Original post by Autumn223
Definitely the Magic Faraway tree, my parents loved the book and I guess passed that down to me
ooooh good one
Original post by Pwca
yup the northern light trilogy - I reread them again lol
Enid Blyton!!! especially the Famous Five series
and the Alex Rider series by anthony horowitz (i still love those books)
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by koolkhad
yup the northern light trilogy - I reread them again lol

Yeah I reckon I'd enjoy them if I read them again tbf. I think the two books of his I found disturbing were Clockwork and Count Karlstein, but he also did another less famous series about a character called Sally Lockhart and I loved those!

Original post by x-wing_pilot
Enid Blyton!!! especially the Famous Five series
and the Alex Rider series by anthony horowitz (i still love those books)

Ahhh I liked those Alex Rider books as well, they were so good!
Omg I loved Enid blyton especially naughtiest schoolgirl srs
Hey, im not really sure. Ive always liked reading. Some memorable ones include David Walliams, Jaqueline Wilson, Horrible Histories, Harry Potter when i was in year 5.
I just know the very first English book I read years ago:

The Catcher In The Rye by Sallinger
Original post by ebyrne2036
Title
I always love reading from a variety age, but the first book that I remember that really give me a love of reading was the big big se by Martin Waddell I used to love reading it with my mum and the illustrations were amazing. Jacqueline Wilson also holds very special place in my heart because she was the first author, I really loved

Probably the goosebumps books for me
Original post by Emma:-)
Probably the goosebumps books for me

Watched a TV series with the same name. Could be that it based on this book.
Another vote for Enid Blyton Mallory Towers and various fairy stories in things like The Yellow Book of Fairy Stories then Jean Plaidy and The Young Elizabeth and Four Mary's about Mary Queen of Scots sent me on my history path!
Original post by Kallisto
Watched a TV series with the same name. Could be that it based on this book.

Yeah, I believe there was a tv series. There were a couple of films as well
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah, I believe there was a tv series. There were a couple of films as well

Send you a clip to the TV series next time. You know it for sure.
Malory towers is so good have u seen the srs @Scotney
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (the original title was changed)
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was the book that got me into reading 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending