The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Data Science BSc Competition (UCL/LSE/Warwick)

I'm interested in pursuing Data Science potentially at one of the above universities (likely Pol and Data Science at the LSE). But, I wasn't sure on how effective of an application I can put forward with:

- My very tame GCSEs (1 9s, 4 6s, 3 5s), which were all TAGs.
- And just A-Level Maths (not FM).

I do take 2 other preferred subjects, however. Could people comment on if I am required to resit any GCSEs and how that may look for the likes of Warwick/LSE/UCL. I'm not sure how it will affect my exams at A-Level as i'd probably have to retake 7 GCSEs concurrently.

So I'm wondering the following:
- Can 7 GCSEs be retaken successfully along with A-Levels,
- If so, is the payoff worth it to retake GCSEs (if I spend money to retake and then they say that, well you got them 2nd time around and others did not)
- If it is realistic to apply here offering only A-Level Maths
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm interested in pursuing Data Science potentially at one of the above universities (likely Pol and Data Science at the LSE). But, I wasn't sure on how effective of an application I can put forward with:
- My very tame GCSEs (1 9s, 4 6s, 3 5s), which were all TAGs.
- And just A-Level Maths (not FM).
I do take 2 other preferred subjects, however. Could people comment on if I am required to resit any GCSEs and how that may look for the likes of Warwick/LSE/UCL. I'm not sure how it will affect my exams at A-Level as i'd probably have to retake 7 GCSEs concurrently.
So I'm wondering the following:
- Can 7 GCSEs be retaken successfully along with A-Levels,
- If so, is the payoff worth it to retake GCSEs (if I spend money to retake and then they say that, well you got them 2nd time around and others did not)
- If it is realistic to apply here offering only A-Level Maths

Hello,

I would highly advise that you contact the admission teams of the educational providers you're interested in and ask them how your qualifications would affect your application. This will allow you to get the most accurate picture of what they expect from a candidate.

Another option you may like to explore is education providers with flexible entry requirements. For example, when considering candidates for our BSc Data Science course, we review applications holistically. This means we consider your personal statement, background, work, and other experience. If this sounds interesting to you, you can explore our entry requirements here - https://bit.ly/49W9pA7

Something else I would also like to share with you is our data science study guide. This has a lot of information about how to prepare for a degree in data science, potential career paths, salary expectations and more! Regardless of where you decide to study, I think this will be a really interesting read for you - https://bit.ly/3IRwd8N

I hope that this is helpful!

Good luck 😊

Becky
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending