The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Information Management for Business -UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaron.F
Am I right in thinking that the course you applied to is for computer and business studies? If so I'm fairly sure that it's actually similar to the IMB course in that it has a more ICT based foundation. It's not comp. sci., although Warwick do offer Computer and Management sciences which you may be able to convert to after your first year or something.

no, the warwick one is more computer science based as appose to IT, it has a lot of maths in it modules like mathematical programming, mathematics for computer scientists and business it has a lot of modules directly from the maths and computer science department, its much more theoretical whereas the UCL one is more vocational which has it's different strength's and weaknesses.

So really the main difference between the 2 degree's is the warwick one is more academic rather than vocational (as i said before). The warwick course will be harder as well, which means its going to take up more social life, and it will be harder to get a first :/ Also warwick apparently has a strong reputation in the science and business fields as apposed to UCL which is famous for the arts. But UCL is in London so there are obvious network advantages, however having spoken to people at warwick, there are loads of BB IB over ALL the time so you can just as well network effectively at warwick, not to the same level though.

I guess the positive is that Warwicks degree will be ideal for trading, due to it's more mathematical nature. Both will get you into IB though if your good enough as they both suffice the "good degree" "target uni" both warwick and UCL get roughly the same number into FO.

i realize much of this post is focused on IB because that's what i want to do but i think ive answered your question anyway :P hope this helps
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 181
Original post by jamz0770
Out of our (IT Based) 3 modules this term. 2 Are taught by computer science department and one by the information science department :smile:

I wish everyone would stop making such compelling arguments for either uni... I'm so confused about where to go!
Original post by Aaron.F
I wish everyone would stop making such compelling arguments for either uni... I'm so confused about where to go!

the choice should be made on which course you feel better with there really is not much between them, but more importantly are you a CITY guy or CAMPUS guy. treat uni rep as =
Original post by Aaron.F

btw you going warwick open day on 5th of march? might see you :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Aaron.F

Well I had to decide between UCL and International Business at Warwick. I think at the end of the day the course at Warwick suited me better but UCL as a university and London as a location won. I couldn't imagine living in Lemington Spa instead of London tbh, I have never regretted my decision to come to UCL.
As paddy put it so finely, I would also have preferred a campus university. But I chose UCL for it being UCL and it being in London. I know you guys must be sick of hearing this. I know I was, Infact up until recently I had no idea how to go about "networking". But I've been to quite a few networking sessions and met some pretty influential people who I had a nice chat with about sport, music, even a bit of banking who have afterwards put my name forward to HR, which undoubtedly helps.

So as much as its overplayed, there is a London advantage in my opinion. Btw the networking extends past Investment banking to IT/Consultancy etc. Overall I'd say the university rep is obviously no problem at either, both are top uni's but the employer focus with IMB is really something that its hard to understand until you see the amount of opportunities the course and Richard provide.

Ultimately its your choice though, you'll all be fine at either university and obviously I'm slightly biased. But I'm confident that when I graduate I'll get a decent job straight away, and I don't think there are many courses that can make you feel like that.
Reply 186
Hello there :smile: Just saw this thread and thought I should say hi, as I have an offer for this course and could be joining in September.

I've got some questions for the current students on this course, hope it's ok to ask - how frequently do you get coursework and how much do they count towards your first year/final degree? And how heavily do they tend to be IT/Computer science based?

Thanks!
Original post by kyc
Hello there :smile: Just saw this thread and thought I should say hi, as I have an offer for this course and could be joining in September.

I've got some questions for the current students on this course, hope it's ok to ask - how frequently do you get coursework and how much do they count towards your first year/final degree? And how heavily do they tend to be IT/Computer science based?

Thanks!

When I asked this, I got a response of 80% Business/Management related modules and 20% Comp Sci/IT modules however, I'd wait for a response from Jamz and Paddy as they are currently on the course! :smile:
Original post by kyc

Thanks!

It varies from year to year, even term to term.

Term 1 I had;

Foundations of Management - 2 pieces of coursework. The first worth 15% the second worth 25%

Information World - 2 pieces of coursework. First is an individual one worth 15% and second a group one worth 25%

Programming - 2 pieces. 15% and 25% again

Information Systems - 1 piece group coursework worth 40%

This term I have;

Cognitive systems + Intelligent technologies - No coursework

Accounting - One bit of coursework. Can't remember what its worth, think its 25%

Communication and Behaviour in Business - Can't remember but I think we have a piece

Marketing - Two pieces, not sure but I'd assume 15/25% again

Overall I'd say the coursework is a good thing. If you can be bothered its not that hard and I've secured some very good marks which will make my life far easier come the summer :wink:

The course itself I'd say is like 65/35 Business/IT but its hard to say because a lot of the IT stuff is taught with business in mind, IT from a managers point of view which makes it seem less like IT.
Reply 189
Original post by Chrisl12345
When I asked this, I got a response of 80% Business/Management related modules and 20% Comp Sci/IT modules however, I'd wait for a response from Jamz and Paddy as they are currently on the course! :smile:

Thanks for your info! As far as I remember I didn't see any mention of coursework on the prospectus therefore I thought I should just to make sure :smile:

It varies from year to year, even term to term.

Term 1 I had;

Foundations of Management - 2 pieces of coursework. The first worth 15% the second worth 25%

Information World - 2 pieces of coursework. First is an individual one worth 15% and second a group one worth 25%

Programming - 2 pieces. 15% and 25% again

Information Systems - 1 piece group coursework worth 40%

This term I have;

Cognitive systems + Intelligent technologies - No coursework

Accounting - One bit of coursework. Can't remember what its worth, think its 25%

Communication and Behaviour in Business - Can't remember but I think we have a piece

Marketing - Two pieces, not sure but I'd assume 15/25% again

Overall I'd say the coursework is a good thing. If you can be bothered its not that hard and I've secured some very good marks which will make my life far easier come the summer :wink:

The course itself I'd say is like 65/35 Business/IT but its hard to say because a lot of the IT stuff is taught with business in mind, IT from a managers point of view which makes it seem less like IT.

Thanks for the highly detailed info! Sorry but stupid as I sound, all the percentages add up to over 100% (unless certain subjects are optional)? I agree with the coursework bit, it does take off a good amount of pressure :smile:

So overall what would the proportion of coursework versus exam for the first year be (e.g. something like 30% from coursework marks and 70% from final exams that count towards your final grade)? Thanks!
Reply 190
Original post by kyc
Thanks for your info! As far as I remember I didn't see any mention of coursework on the prospectus therefore I thought I should just to make sure :smile:

Thanks for the highly detailed info! Sorry but stupid as I sound, all the percentages add up to over 100% (unless certain subjects are optional)? I agree with the coursework bit, it does take off a good amount of pressure :smile:

So overall what would the proportion of coursework versus exam for the first year be (e.g. something like 30% from coursework marks and 70% from final exams that count towards your final grade)? Thanks!

Most modules tend to be 40% coursework and 60% exams, but in first year one module (accounting) is 30%/70% and another module (intelligent systems) has no coursework and is 100% exam weighted. Not sure what that means overall but I'm sure you can work it out :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by paddy
Most modules tend to be 40% coursework and 60% exams, but in first year one module (accounting) is 30%/70% and another module (intelligent systems) has no coursework and is 100% exam weighted. Not sure what that means overall but I'm sure you can work it out :smile:

Oh, I get it now! Thanks for the explanation :tongue: One more question, roughly how many exams do you sit at the end of the first year? Sorry about asking so many questions :s-smilie:
Reply 192
Original post by kyc
Oh, I get it now! Thanks for the explanation :tongue: One more question, roughly how many exams do you sit at the end of the first year? Sorry about asking so many questions :s-smilie:

You generally get 1 exam per module and there are 8 modules. The exception is Programming, where you have the exam in January (i.e. after the 1st term), but that's only if you have programming in the first term (the timetable changes every year).
Reply 193
Original post by paddy
You generally get 1 exam per module and there are 8 modules. The exception is Programming, where you have the exam in January (i.e. after the 1st term), but that's only if you have programming in the first term (the timetable changes every year).

I see - thanks Paddy!! :smile:
Reply 194
Getting a bit worried, have not received a reply back.Although I did apply quite late in December.Can anyone give me reassurance in exactly when I may receive a reply back?
Original post by cratz911
Getting a bit worried, have not received a reply back.Although I did apply quite late in December.Can anyone give me reassurance in exactly when I may receive a reply back?

Afraid I don't know and unless the admissions officer (Pearl) Has an account on here, Its unlikely anyone else does either. Interviews start this Wednesday and run for about 5 weeks (every Wednesday). So, I'd imagine soon.
Reply 196
Afraid I don't know and unless the admissions officer (Pearl) Has an account on here, Its unlikely anyone else does either. Interviews start this Wednesday and run for about 5 weeks (every Wednesday). So, I'd imagine soon.

Do you have any idea on the number of people interviewed?
Original post by Aaron.F
Do you have any idea on the number of people interviewed?

I don't know for sure but I think its about 30 an interview, maybe just less (25 or so) so overall about 125-150
Reply 198
hey everyone, just got my interview date (23rd February) i'm getting quite nervous now!
does anyone know what to expect at the interview? any tips? :smile:
Original post by crystel
hey everyone, just got my interview date (23rd February) i'm getting quite nervous now!
does anyone know what to expect at the interview? any tips? :smile:

Be happy
Dress reasonably
If you end up in group B - for the tour. Give Josh loads of abuse and tell him I said hi :wink:
Ask questions about things you want to know, seem interested

Relax :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending