The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tami*
aah cool :five: tell me about it, a toddler could do this stuff...

UCL...pleaseGodplease

lol this really is mad - I've already got my unconditional offer at UCL! Guna be mental living in London! Don't know anyone who's going - apart from you if you get in (fingers crossed) lol x
Reply 21
Clements-
I have the final assessment day in January. Any advice? Whats it like working there? Which office you at? ETC.

Final Assessment day? Not sure what you're talking about. I just applied for a 6 month contract thing . It's not like a scholars scheme but its for gap yearers. London office! 2NSS!

It's got its benefits working here but I couldn't take it right now for more than 6 months.. and the main reason is, is because you're not allowed to listen to music LOL. It's just kinda quiet you hear keyboards tapping odd people on the phone. People here are awesome though, and you get free hot chocolate and twinings tea...yayyy. and cheap fruit!
Reply 22
tami*
aah cool :five: tell me about it, a toddler could do this stuff...

UCL...pleaseGodplease

pleaseGodplease UCL INDEED! I'm the same XD
tomangegi
lol this really is mad - I've already got my unconditional offer at UCL! Guna be mental living in London! Don't know anyone who's going - apart from you if you get in (fingers crossed) lol x

lol :p: :five: again

congrats on ur offer :smile:
Miyavi
Final Assessment day? Not sure what you're talking about. I just applied for a 6 month contract thing . It's not like a scholars scheme but its for gap yearers. London office! 2NSS!

It's got its benefits working here but I couldn't take it right now for more than 6 months.. and the main reason is, is because you're not allowed to listen to music LOL. It's just kinda quiet you hear keyboards tapping odd people on the phone. People here are awesome though, and you get free hot chocolate and twinings tea...yayyy. and cheap fruit!

Scholars is only for 7 months mind you. But yeah, its scholars I'm applying for. Assessment day 14th January :smile: Feeling confident about my interview technique now after getting past the first one
Atm, working in a very dull job and learning to drive.
After Christmas I hope to get a job at Chatsworth or somewhere, that is more relevant to my degree and do my BHS stage exams.
Reply 26
Clements-
Scholars is only for 7 months mind you. But yeah, its scholars I'm applying for. Assessment day 14th January :smile: Feeling confident about my interview technique now after getting past the first one

Ah right :wink: I applied far too late for the scholars scheme. When I had my interview invite places filled ups o I never did it. Luckily I got this weird kinda fake scholar like scheme thing anyways in the Tax department. They just need help as tax returns pile on as the deadline closes in so they hire minions like us to do it! Woo!

Good luck with your interview anyhows. What sector and where are oyu appliyng?
tomangegi

I am :smile:

Oh, gap year! I started mine at the end of July, spent 14 weeks working in France in a hotel. Got home at the end of October and have literally been doing nothing since. Am going to Berlin in January, Hong Kong for a fortnight at the end of February and planning some trips to Spain, France and Italy in between. Then I'm going back to my part time job in Tesco at the start of April until uni begins in September.
Miyavi
Ah right :wink: I applied far too late for the scholars scheme. When I had my interview invite places filled ups o I never did it. Luckily I got this weird kinda fake scholar like scheme thing anyways in the Tax department. They just need help as tax returns pile on as the deadline closes in so they hire minions like us to do it! Woo!

Good luck with your interview anyhows. What sector and where are oyu appliyng?

Southampton Office. Really didn't want to have to move to London cos of the cost. Applying for audit :smile:
I found about Year In Industry too late and there were no places anywhere near me.

Done about 6 weeks work experience with BAE Systems, which was pretty cool - got to climb all over Tornados!

Now applying for a job as i'm skint - it looks like it's gonna be Budgens!!

Hoping to get some work experience abroad in the summer before going to uni!
Reply 30
Clements-
Southampton Office. Really didn't want to have to move to London cos of the cost. Applying for audit :smile:

BAD MAN. London = higher salary though.
Reply 31
Joanna May
I am :smile:

Oh, gap year! I started mine at the end of July, spent 14 weeks working in France in a hotel. Got home at the end of October and have literally been doing nothing since. Am going to Berlin in January, Hong Kong for a fortnight at the end of February and planning some trips to Spain, France and Italy in between. Then I'm going back to my part time job in Tesco at the start of April until uni begins in September.

That's pretty awesome! A lot more interesting than what I've been doing! If I don't get the chance to travel before uni I'm just guna go afterwards! I can pick up some companions at uni lol and It's all groovy then! Have you applied for your accommodation yet? I've read on a couple of threads that some people have! x
Reply 32
Trying to figure out what I actually want to do.

I'm also going to try and plan lots of trips to different countries for the new year.
Miyavi
BAD MAN. London = higher salary though.

Not so much higher that it would be worth it though. I could either be on £14k i think it is and live at home on a rent of £15 per week. Or earn a little bit more on a rent of probably £200 a week or more :p:
Reply 34
Clements-
Not so much higher that it would be worth it though. I could either be on £14k i think it is and live at home on a rent of £15 per week. Or earn a little bit more on a rent of probably £200 a week or more :p:

Ah right yeah if you can get to soton and live at home do it. I'm renting in london and it takes 1/3 of my salary! Wait, your parents are charging you to live at home? XD lmao. at least it's small. My rent is 110 a week.
tomangegi
That's pretty awesome! A lot more interesting than what I've been doing! If I don't get the chance to travel before uni I'm just guna go afterwards! I can pick up some companions at uni lol and It's all groovy then! Have you applied for your accommodation yet? I've read on a couple of threads that some people have! x

It sounds more awesome than it feels at the moment! Travelling after uni sounds a good idea. I'm doing all this on my own at the moment, since all my friends are at uni, so perhaps after uni I could do it again with people this time! I've filled in my accommodation application form so it's just waiting to be posted now. No real need to rush though, it isn't first come, first served. :smile:
Miyavi
Ah right yeah if you can get to soton and live at home do it. I'm renting in london and it takes 1/3 of my salary! Wait, your parents are charging you to live at home? XD lmao. at least it's small. My rent is 110 a week.

Nearly everyones parents I know charge them rent when they're working? They don't charge me now of course and to be honest, I'll probably get out of paying rent anyway :p: I managed to get out of paying my mum the £65 a month for my phone and gym bills on her account :biggrin:
tomangegi
Just wondering what everyone else who's on a gap year is doing?

going to university

******* commies
GauchitoGil
going to university

******* commies
omg im going to africa and digging wells!111
Reply 39
Joanna May
It sounds more awesome than it feels at the moment! Travelling after uni sounds a good idea. I'm doing all this on my own at the moment, since all my friends are at uni, so perhaps after uni I could do it again with people this time! I've filled in my accommodation application form so it's just waiting to be posted now. No real need to rush though, it isn't first come, first served. :smile:

Well I spose that's good in that you can do whatever you want, your not like tied down by anyone! But then again one of my mates tried doing that last year in aus and ended up feeling really lonely so he came back after 3 weeks lol but yea it would be good to get a few good mates from uni to all go together! And yea that's true! What sort of stuff did you put down? I think I just want a single room, not too bothered bout en-suite or anything else! Would be good if it was close though, could just roll out of bed into a lecture lol x

Latest