Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
DazYa
yeah, well 37k is nearly 40 k so i just say 40 k to make it easier

so for instance if someone is on 60 k
find 20 % of 37 k then add that onto 40 % of 23 k
thats wat u get left when u get taxed
the economy is shit

DazYa: You're not a friend of ersid_ by any chance are you? It is just that your screen name is that of a person I once knew from a few irc channels. Please send me a PM with a reply if you wish.
Reply 61
Lord Huntroyde
But you don't get paid well for taking actuarial exams, you get paid for what happens after in your career :biggrin:

Actuaries do not usually reach high management and executive positions because it is very mathematical, usually CIMA people reach those positions. However actuaries are very well paid for the role they perform.

You've hit the nail on the head there, except I doubt the reason you don't see actuaries in executive jobs has any thing to do with their mathematical ability.
Reply 62
yes im a good friend of ersid's, you've probably been a victim to a server ive taken down :P
Reply 63
actuaries get paid loads!
Reply 64
Just because you might get one of these jobs doesn't mean you'll go right to the top - you'd still have to work hard, and put a lot of yourself into your job for the first 3 years to earn your respect - without that, you're going nowhere.

Its very different from uni - plenty of people who thought they'd cut it just aren't good enough. There's going to be a lot of pressure on people in investment banks as many of them rely on their hefty bonuses to get by. In careers such as actuarial work and lawyers, income is more salary based, and life tends to be the easiest-going for the actuaries.

There's boring people in all walks of life, but if you're going to work for a consultancy then you're not going to get in if you're boring... Plus if you don't have at least a 2:1 from a top uni, then odds are you won't get an interview anyway.
Short of being a major league drug delaer the only jobs where you'll make the big time money is working as an astute bond dealer. You get paid millions!!! I personally know of someone who's in this line of work and he's on £8million a year (can you believe that? shame he's already married) and he gets like a £250,000 bonus a year!!!!!
Reply 66
Fallen Angel
Short of being a major league drug delaer the only jobs where you'll make the big time money is working as an astute bond dealer. You get paid millions!!! I personally know of someone who's in this line of work and he's on £8million a year (can you believe that? shame he's already married) and he gets like a £250,000 bonus a year!!!!!

no, I don't believe that...

normal thing in London would be to get a salary of £250k, then a bonus of £8m if you perform well - several other jobs like this
Reply 67
Fallen Angel

If you think about it, after tax, his salary is under £5 million, that is still incredible, but tax wipes a hell of a lot off.
Lord Huntroyde
but tax wipes a hell of a lot off.

True. But what can you do? I'm sure with that kind of money you'll find some shady accountant who'll help you evade any taxes (though, in my opinion the rich should pay more taxes than anyone else or at the very least income tax, council tax and the rest should be means tested).
Reply 69
Fallen Angel
True. But what can you do? I'm sure with that kind of money you'll find some shady accountant who'll help you evade any taxes (though, in my opinion the rich should pay more taxes than anyone else or at the very least income tax, council tax and the rest should be means tested).

i believe in regressive taxation, the rich should be taxed more? why?
TheWolf
i believe in regressive taxation, the rich should be taxed more? why?

Ok, i can see if you're paid £1000 000 a year pretax and then get taxed 60% you'll be a bit pissed off, but ideally the poor should pay less than the rich, or we'll be back to victorian times :smile: You're going to take from the poor and give to the rich?

Besides, if you get tons of money and pay 30% tax it won't be so bad. But i do disagree with taxing the rich TOO much (50% +). Labour once had a top bracket of 60%, that was taking the piss, talk about disincentive to work.

Maybe they should tax rich IT girls pocket money loads, like paris hilton. She's never had a real job, maybe losing lots of her income would force her to go out and get a job instead of strutting round like a human barbie.
Reply 71
I must point out that despite fears of a high tax economy if its spent wisely the wealth generation and improvement in livelyhood of all is immense. You only need to look at Sweden and finland to see how despite high tax rates (up to 60%) can co-exist with a wealthy, productive and happy society. Finland recently ( on a BBC report by OECD or someone..cant remem,ber) was named best education, best health best social infastructure..etc. ..taxation can work but only if its spent correctly :smile:
Jools
Try telling that to lawyers here!

Law is not exactly high paid...depends what you do...
Reply 73
Mysticmin
Ok, i can see if you're paid £1000 000 a year pretax and then get taxed 60% you'll be a bit pissed off, but ideally the poor should pay less than the rich, or we'll be back to victorian times :smile: You're going to take from the poor and give to the rich?

Besides, if you get tons of money and pay 30% tax it won't be so bad. But i do disagree with taxing the rich TOO much (50% +). Labour once had a top bracket of 60%, that was taking the piss, talk about disincentive to work.

Maybe they should tax rich IT girls pocket money loads, like paris hilton. She's never had a real job, maybe losing lots of her income would force her to go out and get a job instead of strutting round like a human barbie.

i agree with you totally :smile: i was kididn btw :cool:
Reply 74
ThornsnRoses
Law is not exactly high paid...depends what you do...

Exactly - some lawyers are paid loads, but most are just paid a good wage which you can live on very comfortably.
So what is the best and most highly payed and respected profession again? Would actuary be the answer? Heard through an actuarial firm that actuarial career is a risky one and one cud end up being nothing (i.e. not earning that high a salary at all)! ANY COMMENTs. Btw, before this advice and this thread, was of the opinion that actuaries earn a hell lot and at an early age, without much risk of being unemployed or screw*d, but now am giving it second thoughts. Anyways just up for my BSc now (in MATH; another borin guy :P ), so have to concentrate on tht.... IMPERIAL, LSE or Warwick :P
Unregistered
Just outta interest, high paid careers that one could go into?

Apart from all that pop star and footballer malark, my favourites are:

1)Investment Banking (but job security is non existent)
2)Management Consultancy
3)Medicine (I hope to marry a Harvard Educated Doctor)
4)Law (or a high powered Lawyer)

Apart from that and the top civil service jobs, as far as I'm concerned you're pretty much average.
My own opinion and I expect the uproar that follows.
theECONOMIST
Apart from all that pop star and footballer malark, my favourites are:

1)Investment Banking (but job security is non existent)
2)Management Consultancy
3)Medicine (I hope to marry a Harvard Educated Doctor)
4)Law (or a high powered Lawyer)

Apart from that and the top civil service jobs, as far as I'm concerned you're pretty much average.
My own opinion and I expect the uproar that follows.

Heya, if you have any spare time would you mind telling me what investment banking is? :smile:
happysunshine
Heya, if you have any spare time would you mind telling me what investment banking is? :smile:

Erm, go to www.vault.com
or www.wetfeet.com for explanations without error.
I advise you use the former, though the latter has a few good resources.
theECONOMIST
Erm, go to www.vault.com
or www.wetfeet.com for explanations without error.
I advise you use the former, though the latter has a few good resources.

Thank you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending