The Student Room Group

Applying to college in usa with......... please help

Hello I Got GCSEs with grade CCCDDE plus a BTEC First diploma in Information Technolgy with a Grade of MERIT which is equivalent to 4 B grades at GCSE level and i done a ACT test and got a score of 23 what type of college am i looking to apply for in the USA?

Am a resident (GReen card holder) of the usa but not a US citizen if that helps so i dont think i will be recoqinized as a international student, i use to live in britan but now i live in florida, miami.

please help
Try looking for state universities in florida?
Reply 2
LakHani_Hasnain
Try looking for state universities in florida?

good idea am gonna research some now thank you

+1 rep for you
Reply 3
go on www.collegeboard.com and make an account

there you can look at colleges and see their average ACT scores so you find schools close to your level

and florida state schools are a good idea
Reply 4
you might also want an account on commonapp.com - you can look up stats from colleges etc, and start applying if youre a senior!
also, itll prolly change if you want east coast or west coast, cuz id say boston - its filled with all sorts of universities and hundreds of students already
Go for the Ivies. Reach for the stars.
Reply 6
Ivy's with those grades and a 23 ACT? Hehe.

Look around for state schools in your area. There should be plenty in Florida e.g FSU. UF (Go gators!) etc.
Go to Florida University and become the next Tim Tebow
How does this Brit know about pretty-boy, God-fearing, damn-good football-playing Tim Tebow? I thought you guys hated American Football.

As to help the OP... there are dozens of universities in Florida.
Florida State University.
University of Florida.
The U.
University of South Florida.
And many others. Just go on their websites and see what you like. Unfortunately, as was stated earlier, you can't get into the Ivies with your grades. Sorry.
Reply 9
can i get into state university realisticly with my grades though guys?
Probably.
The best college in Florida is University of Florida. I know people who got rejected from UF and they were IB Candidates. So realistically UF is out. If you want to stay near Miami, there's Florida International University (FIU). There's FAU, FSU, and even MDC. Ivy league? No. But you stand a chance in Florida. :smile:

Out of curiosity, which high school do you go to?
Reply 12
Peter121PRO
can i get into state university realisticly with my grades though guys?

sure

http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/servlet/advsearchservlet?buttonPressed=viewResults&navigateTo=9&viewpage=1

I did a search for you :smile:
just putting in your ACT score and schools in FL
and 34 schools came up
you can whittle them down by completing the search, but those are schools that are definitely within your range, you could also apply to more "reach" schools and see what happens
Reply 13
thank you for the help everyone
Reply 14
Peter121PRO
Hello I Got GCSEs with grade CCCDDE plus a BTEC First diploma in Information Technolgy with a Grade of MERIT which is equivalent to 4 B grades at GCSE level and i done a ACT test and got a score of 23 what type of college am i looking to apply for in the USA?

Am a resident (GReen card holder) of the usa but not a US citizen if that helps so i dont think i will be recoqinized as a international student, i use to live in britan but now i live in florida, miami.

please help

You may want to try the Sunys ( State University of NY). it's going to be hard to get into an Ivy league uni with a 23 on the ACT. May I ask have you taken the SAT or are thinking about retaking the ACT?
Just wanted to add if you are applying as an international then you can apply to atleast one or two schools that are a step above what you think you can get into.

They will bend a bit to let you in so they can add one more to the percentage of international students in the college prospectus. Not exactly fair, but that's how it works.
Reply 16
Anam91
You may want to try the Sunys ( State University of NY). it's going to be hard to get into an Ivy league uni with a 23 on the ACT. May I ask have you taken the SAT or are thinking about retaking the ACT?

i would love to go uni in ny but i think i will rather stay in florida where i got lots of family and friends, i am retaking the act in february, when i did the act test last time i didnt even study so am kinda surprise that i got 23, i never done the SAT and never will. am not really looking into ivy league school because i know i have no chance in hell lol,am just looking in to regionally accredited colleges/uni.
Reply 17
BramleyApple
Just wanted to add if you are applying as an international then you can apply to atleast one or two schools that are a step above what you think you can get into.

They will bend a bit to let you in so they can add one more to the percentage of international students in the college prospectus. Not exactly fair, but that's how it works.

cool, on some aplications forms that i have seen from colleges it looks like i have to do the international student part and tick permenant resident,

oh yeah can you answer this question only if you know it please if you get like a really good act score like 28 or above could you get scolarship and how? this would be awsome

Latest

Trending

Trending