The Student Room Group
Timetables differ to uni really..usually you alternate between being at uni and placement.
Modules are things like: Nursing theories, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, psychology, sociology etc- PLUS your chosen branch aswell (in 2nd and 3rd year)
2300 hours theory , 2300 hours practical placement , meets the requirement of the EU directive covering pre-reg Nursing programmes , beyond that there are differences between different HEIs so it's not easy to draw further conclusions, some split theory practice 50/50 all the way through others put more practice in the final year , some HEIs set loads of marked but not necessarily grade contributing work , some HEIS set few but quite valuable in merks terms assignments
Reply 3
awesome thanks :smile: also what are the rules on piercings and tattoos? x
xflutterby7x
awesome thanks :smile: also what are the rules on piercings and tattoos? x

tattoos ok, piercings, only the ears im afraid
Reply 5
ahhh. does it matter how many are in your ears? and are you allowed retainers if you have facial piercings? i want a tattoo on my wrist (only a pink bow) and a gaming sign near my elbow joint... is that ok?

don't wanna ruin my chances of getting a good nursing job! x
xflutterby7x
ahhh. does it matter how many are in your ears? and are you allowed retainers if you have facial piercings? i want a tattoo on my wrist (only a pink bow) and a gaming sign near my elbow joint... is that ok?

don't wanna ruin my chances of getting a good nursing job! x

just one piercing im afraid. Saying that ive seen some doctors with lip piercings. HOWEVER, it does vary from trust to trust.

Tattos should be ok as long as they're not large and offensive.

Retainers are a no no im afraid, professional pratice at all costs
Reply 7
ah dear ><

this is the tattoo i want near my elbow ...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/225069426_571a0072a6.jpg

its the horde symbol from world of warcraft but to some it might look like the devil :s-smilie:

sorry to ask so many questions!! x
xflutterby7x
ah dear ><

this is the tattoo i want near my elbow ...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/86/225069426_571a0072a6.jpg

its the horde symbol from world of warcraft but to some it might look like the devil :s-smilie:

sorry to ask so many questions!! x

Its questionable. Why not get it in a covered place?
Reply 9
i couldnt think of any other places to get that specific one. i also want stars on my foot.. which probably would cause problems too...

my boyfriend refuses to let me ask when i meet the lectures on uni visits but then i have no way of knowing what is acceptable :s-smilie:
xflutterby7x
i couldnt think of any other places to get that specific one. i also want stars on my foot.. which probably would cause problems too...

my boyfriend refuses to let me ask when i meet the lectures on uni visits but then i have no way of knowing what is acceptable :s-smilie:

Your boyfriend doesn't control you, you know...:s-smilie:
Reply 11
haha yeah i know that but he's a worrier :P he means it in a nice way though.

basically im concerned about the bow on my wrist, a group of pink stars on the top of my foot and that symbol on either my elbow or ankle.

i did ask a tattooist and he was like yeaahh suureeee its cool :s-smilie:
i have seen nurses with tatoos but anything that could be viewed as offensive (for example the pic posted) i would have thought as innappropriate. but consider particularly when working with very sick kids, you need to be able to maintain a particular relationship with parents and their lowest and most stressful times... do they need a tattoed __________(blank)___________ or do they need a professional and discreet nurse.
Reply 13
yeah i see your point... but i got tattoos and piercings before i decided to become a nurse so atm im a bit hmmm about it all really. personally i keep saying i'll just have them removed if necessary but i know that can be expensive.

btw anna_spanner89 your blog thingy on nursing and the links to nursing books was very helpful thanks :smile:
if they are already there i wouldn't waste my time worrying about them, but remember you will come into contact with such a wide variety of society, all it takes is one religious over zealous weirdo to start picking on your tattoo and you have a load of hassle on our hands.
For us on placement, we have to cover up Tattoos with a plaster or a bandage. I think it depends on the individual universities dress code. x
hi there i am currently in my first year of childrens nursing, i have been thinking about a tattoo on my wrist for about 3 years now,
this is the tattoo
http://z.hubpages.com/u/283392_f520.jpg

i have a real love for music and that is why i choose this tattoo, im gonna have it on my wrist and it will be around an inch and half big, i dnt believe it too be offensive in any way and i think its nice too look at for the children with the stars and music notes...

can u let me know wat u think1
thanks daniel x
Reply 17
Dworgan2492
hi there i am currently in my first year of childrens nursing, i have been thinking about a tattoo on my wrist for about 3 years now,
this is the tattoo
http://z.hubpages.com/u/283392_f520.jpg

i have a real love for music and that is why i choose this tattoo, im gonna have it on my wrist and it will be around an inch and half big, i dnt believe it too be offensive in any way and i think its nice too look at for the children with the stars and music notes...

can u let me know wat u think1
thanks daniel x

Daniel i think that will be likely to be ok, but remember that having a new tattoo whilst at work, is a opportunity for a breading ground for germs, so if you get it done and you are working in the next couple of weeks then you need to be very careful of it hygiene wise.

Latest