The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In1Su
Personally, I think it's because of traditional Europe's extreme hatred of Islam. This still has a presence in the minds of people. Everyone is quick to paint an "us vs. them" picture - especially the media.

I love your sig!

And I totally agree with what you mentioned about! :ditto:
Reply 21
Archangel's Kiss
I love your sig!

And I totally agree with what you mentioned about! :ditto:

people just want someone to blame...Its annoying how just coz a minority of people in a religion are bad, the whole religion is automatically seen as corrupt. and obv the media plays a key role in this ongoing fear of "muslims" bt its only coz theres a lot of misunderstanding between muslims and everyone else (i hate this whole us against them thing). At the end of the day we're all people and hopefully one day the attention will go off Islam jus coz poeple are gonna wake up and realise its not right to blame a whole religion on the actions of a few so called muslims- so called because if they were true muslims they wouldnt do the horrific things they do in the name of islam and God. One day people are going to get tired of hearing muslim this and muslim that. Sorry if i'm rambling lol, i hope it made sense.
HelloKitty2890
people just want someone to blame...Its annoying how just coz a minority of people in a religion are bad, the whole religion is automatically seen as corrupt. and obv the media plays a key role in this ongoing fear of "muslims" bt its only coz theres a lot of misunderstanding between muslims and everyone else (i hate this whole us against them thing). At the end of the day we're all people and hopefully one day the attention will go off Islam jus coz poeple are gonna wake up and realise its not right to blame a whole religion on the actions of a few so called muslims- so called because if they were true muslims they wouldnt do the horrific things they do in the name of islam and God. One day people are going to get tired of hearing muslim this and muslim that. Sorry if i'm rambling lol, i hope it made sense.

It made perfect sense - thanks! :smile:

Keep your opinions rolling guys, they're all really intriguing! :wink:
I agree. The Mumbai bombings, awful as they were were given far more attention than say the Hindu massacre of 500 Christian Civilians in Orissa.

There's always going to be a group that people pick out and focus on, usually the last major powerful empire (as we learn in History =] - like the Ottomans, Mughals etc. were muslims). So it's muslims now, it will be someone else next.

The media also has certain people controlling and filtering what goes through, which gives a tainted image of the truth. And the minority muslim extremists or whatever give an excuse to extend this image further
guys its not just the big stuff as the above post mentioned its small things aswell which are so annoying.
recently i read that a lord had caused an accident by texting on his phone, the title of the article was "Muslim Lord causes accident whilst texting", there was no need to comment on him being muslim! arrgh
the media has an angle (usually anti-muslim) and it just picks out stories to show is their angle only whether its an imigrant family...that is muslim or a normal person who is muslim, it gets laughable eventually but its just frustrating that people then associate muslims with only bad people
Reply 26
There's always uproar because the non-Muslims feel they can't express their true feelings about Islam, because if they do they will be somehow "frowned upon" by those who are Muslim. Then other non-Muslims tell the other non-Muslims to keep quiet because all they are doing is touching on something they perceive to be "sensitive", whilst in all honesty, it isn't.
Reply 27
TheBrightShadow
guys its not just the big stuff as the above post mentioned its small things aswell which are so annoying.
recently i read that a lord had caused an accident by texting on his phone, the title of the article was "Muslim Lord causes accident whilst texting", there was no need to comment on him being muslim! arrgh
the media has an angle (usually anti-muslim) and it just picks out stories to show is their angle only whether its an imigrant family...that is muslim or a normal person who is muslim, it gets laughable eventually but its just frustrating that people then associate muslims with only bad people

If you feel him being Muslim was irrelevant, then surely you also feel the article shouldn't have mentioned him being a lord?
DaveJ
If you feel him being Muslim was irrelevant, then surely you also feel the article shouldn't have mentioned him being a lord?

no the 'lord' in the title was needed because those are the people who make laws for us and should thus be following the laws, the newspaper shouldve just pointed that out , i.e. someone abusing their position, thinking theyre above the law,
dont you agree?
Reply 29
TheBrightShadow
no the 'lord' in the title was needed because those are the people who make laws for us and should thus be following the laws, the newspaper shouldve just pointed that out , i.e. someone abusing their position, thinking theyre above the law,
dont you agree?

I'm sure there are other arguments about Muslims ones could put forward which make them relevant.
Snookercraze
Jealousy?

ps. I will not elaborate

Yes because everyone's jealous of Muslims.

It changes everything because Muslims support al-Qaeda.
DaveJ
I'm sure there are other arguments about Muslims ones could put forward which make them relevant.

im thinking...you think aswell
ben.small.small
You think? I mean, in news headlines its always mentioned: 'Muslim does this.' 'Muslim does that!' Shock, horror - and there's, so to speak, uproar. I really don't get it. For most other religious groups, it's barely ever touched upon.

i also agree i have no idea the reason
Reply 33
Ill Refer to Omid Djalali -
*Talking to Captain Hook (Abu Hamza)* "...and there we have the voice of the Islamic world"

It only takes one person to tarnish the reputation of something. Whether it be religion or a insurance company lol

These IDIOTS who run around declaring Jihad on every Westerner, claiming to be fighting in the name of Islam, twisting and moulding the words of the Qur'an

Its a tool for the media...they have the right to use it and so they do. If a terrorist commits a suicide bombing, then what else are then going to put other than "ISLAMIC ..so and so..."
Reply 34
Eklipz89
Ill Refer to Omid Djalali -
*Talking to Captain Hook (Abu Hamza)* "...and there we have the voice of the Islamic world"

It only takes one person to tarnish the reputation of something. Whether it be religion or a insurance company lol

These IDIOTS who run around declaring Jihad on every Westerner, claiming to be fighting in the name of Islam, twisting and moulding the words of the Qur'an

Its a tool for the media...they have the right to use it and so they do. If a terrorist commits a suicide bombing, then what else are then going to put other than "ISLAMIC ..so and so..."

That video is hilarious! :laughing:
Reply 35
I don't think the fact that somebody is a Muslim is relevant in most "small" cases. However, when you consider what's happening on a "big" scale, ie. the fact that a small group of people (who happen to be Muslims) are pursuing an extremist ideology and commit atrocious acts on a daily basis, then the word 'Muslim' becomes almost synonymous with such negative acts.

At this point it becomes the fault of the sensationalist media who like to stick in the word 'Muslim' at every single opportunity and hence make us think negative thoughts upon hearing that word. So when certain things happen where the alleged criminal's religion is most probably irrelevant, if he's a Muslim then his religion will be mentioned and we'll just think "surprise surprise..."- I doubt a non-Muslim would get his religion mentioned.

This isn't a rant at any non-Muslims by the way- more so at the sensationalist media.
Reply 36
TheBrightShadow
im thinking...you think aswell

Well I mean, even just to make the story more detailed. Why just include the bare minimum of facts?
DaveJ
Well I mean, even just to make the story more detailed. Why just include the bare minimum of facts?

i totally agree with that, but i would want it to be done equally to everyone. if there is a pedophile then if he/she happens to be a christain/muslim or any other religion then point that fact out,
DaveJ

"Man somewhere driving some car texts someone using his mobile phone and causes loss of control of his nondescript car, causing someone to die. Person texting was with someone at the time. He was a something in the House of Summatorother, with an allegiance to the Who Cares? party. He had recently denied rumours he was to defect to the Yawn party".
Crimson Black
"Man somewhere driving some car texts someone using his mobile phone and causes loss of control of his nondescript car, causing someone to die. Person texting was with someone at the time. He was a something in the House of Summatorother, with an allegiance to the Who Cares? party. He had recently denied rumours he was to defect to the Yawn party".

surely you would find that story (about a Lord) interesting, youve got GB in your sig!

Latest

Trending

Trending