The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Paying for Accomodation

I looked again at the pricing today and apparently it can go upto as much as £180.
I really cant afford prices like that. However, I obviously want to live in a nice one like Grosvenor or Bankside, but i wont be able to afford the upper range of the accomodation. Is it a good idea sharing with another person? because with sharing you get the nice room and cheaper.
But in general how are UK students paying for it with only 3k loans?
I am slowly becoming concerned on that matter.
Reply 1
£180? Where is that? You could share with another person, but as you probably know, there are disadvantages to that. Luckily, my parents are willing to pay for my accommodation, but yea you are right, the student loans won't cover your costs. Maybe get a part-time job or something?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
TheWolf
£180? Where is that? You could share with another person, but as you probably know, there are disadvantages to that. Luckily, my parents are willing to pay for my accommodation, but yea you are right, the student loans won't cover your costs. Maybe get a part-time job or something?

Word through the grapevine is that if you want cheap, single room, with vibrant atmosphere go for Rosebery for 70ish.

Disadvantage: bit of a walk, ropey accommodation.
tiantang
Word through the grapevine is that if you want cheap, single room, with vibrant atmosphere go for Rosebery for 70ish.

Disadvantage: bit of a walk, ropey accommodation.

tbh though Rosebery and Carr-Saunders are the kind of accommodation that you find all over the country. Personally I don't mind the walking as I know I will be keeping fit with a 25 minute walk each way! Rosebery seems to be in a decent area too, although obviously not like Holborn or Grosvenor.

Splinter- I've applied for shared accommodation and just going to hope that the person I get put with is okay. If there not, u don't have to spend all ur time in your room anyway and can always speak to them or at worst make a complaint.

Are most people considering getting some sort of part time job whilst there? I think I need one although I should be saving with the shared room.
Reply 4
The thing is, I am able to afford the way things stand a single room in Carr-saunders of Rosebery or a shared room in Holborn or Grosvenor, so I am deciding between those. I might try one one year and then another the next. Yes I am definetely hoping to get some sort of Job. In london I am going to run out of funds so quickly. (I know i live in south west london. Before you ask, living at home is not an option. Imagine public transport for an hour every morning. I'll leave that till my professional career.)
I heard students work at like the numerous coffee shops around london, or restaurants and stuff. I mean apparently there is a fair bit of free time.
Reply 5
Plenty of jobs around London, my son. Might even be able to fix you up with something :smile: .
There will be plenty of jobs, not very exciting but they pay nonetheless. And yes there will be plenty of free time, I would only work a few hours a week as I wouldn't want to jeopardise my degree.

You won't be the only one whose funds run out quickly! Kind of depressing isn't it? :frown:
Reply 7
go for rosebery.
especially if you are going to get a part time job working in a bar at night (or if your roommate does). don't get me wrong, sometimes people sharing a room get along famously but i don't think it's worth it.
rosebery is nice enough and you'll be able to do what you want without needing to walk in on roommate sex or being woken up at 4am.
i know im depicting horror stories but i was originally placed in a twin room (but luckily got out of it) and trust me when i say that the questionnaire you fill about "compatibility" is totally useless. they dont even take into account the smoking/non smoking thing, let alone drugs etc.
Reply 8
anonymity, is it that bad? I mean, a twin-sharing?
Reply 9
CNN Center
anonymity, is it that bad? I mean, a twin-sharing?

not necessarily but it's possible.
i was just stating that in my opinion it's not worth risking the worse case scenario when there are similarly priced alternatives (rosebery definitely isn't a dump!!)

you know yourself best, it really depends on what you're used to and how you can handle it.
if im not mistaken you're in the army now? compared to that sharing a room is prob. not a big deal but if you're used to having your own space for 17 years it might be a more difficult adjustment (the key variable being the roommate you end up with and there's no way you can know that in advance).
i think mostly it boils down to wanting to have the independence to do whatever you want in terms of sleeping at 3am or 10pm if you want to etc.
i personally see no advantages in having a roommate and many (potential?)disadvantages. especially in this case, where the alternative is a single room in a nice hall v. a double room in a nicer hall.

Latest

Trending

Trending