The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need the backing of a superpower these days to do that...
Reply 2
exactly no one would recognize them
I would
Reply 4
UGeNe
:biggrin: Kosovo did it 'illegally' so why can't the Palestinians?

I'm sure there will be a bunch of governments around the world that would recognize a Palestinian state.

Because they don't want that. They want the whole of the State of Israel, and won't stop the barrage of suicide bombers and rockets until they get it.

The war isn't about the West Bank or Gaza. It's about Hamas's and the Palestinian obsession with obliterating the Jewish state.
Reply 5
Turdburger
I would

that's why you rightly got into oxford
Reply 6
Jonathan
Because they don't want that. They want the whole of the State of Israel, and won't stop the barrage of suicide bombers and rockets until they get it.

The war isn't about the West Bank or Gaza. It's about Hamas's and the Palestinian obsession with obliterating the Jewish state.

But I'm saying it can be a first step. Then, it can get help from Iran, Syria etc once it's "an independent state" and rightly in control of its own boundaries.
Reply 7
Turdburger
I would

Venezuela will too
Reply 8
Turdburger
I would

the "am i ugly" thread is on H&R.

As someone's already said, they seem pretty darn hellbent on their land. It'd be quite pointless really; they'd still continue doing everything they were doing before. It'd just be like Hamas declaring independence and Israel going "yes, and what?" before wiping out some other hamas stronghold with a handful of civilians.
Because they want the whole land and wouldn't settle for just part of it.
Both are small enclaves under siege. What sort of nations would they be, but pitiful shadows of their former selves before their conflict with Israel. It would be to accept total defeat. Israel would not allow it, also. So, their war with Israel will continue for years to come.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-why-do-they-hate-the-west-so-much-we-will-ask-1230046.html
Reply 11
UGeNe
But I'm saying it can be a first step. Then, it can get help from Iran, Syria etc once it's "an independent state" in control of its own boundaries.

A first step to ACTUALLY obliterating Israel??

The VAST vast majority of Israelis are in favour of a two-state solution, if it would discourage the terrorists from trying to kill their children in nightclubs. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Palestinians are not in favour of a two-state solution - they want to drive Israel off its land. Hamas has, in the past, pledged to destroy the State of Israel, and they won't stop until that happens. Or the IDF knock some sense into them first.
Reply 12
Jonathan

They don't want the whole State of Israel. And even if they wanted to, they're not idiots and they know that would be an irrational and stupid goal.

What they want is to live. But even that is too much to ask.
Sundous
They don't want the whole State of Israel. And even if they wanted to, they're not idiots and they know that would be an irrational and stupid goal.

What they want is to live. But even that is too much to ask.

Wrong, Hamas don't recognise Israel, they want it gone.
Reply 14

why should hamas recognize israel, israel came in 1948 and took all of their country, hamas clearly stated they'll accept the 1967 borders.
Reply 15

:o: I like people with conviction.
Reply 16

Does Israel recognise Hamas?

Read this, if you want: http://www.cfr.org/publication/10870/

Why would it set up a truce with a state it doesn't recognise in the first place, then.

Also, and most importantly, Hamas does not equate to Palestinians.
Diaz89
why should hamas recognize israel, israel came in 1948 and took all of their country, hamas clearly stated they'll accept the 1967 borders.

No Israel didn't take all of their country. Palestine was full of Jews, Christians and Muslims and at that time it was a British protectorate. It was Britain when it was still a superpower, after WW2, that carved up Palestine, not the Israeli's. I can't remember the general who was comissioned to oversee it, but he is quite well known.

Israel don't need to respect the 1967 borders, Palestine declared war on a soverign nation, unprovoked and was humiliatingly defeated. Why should Israel pull back the 1% of land it took, it wasn't the agressor. Plus, show me a link that says Hamas would even accept that deal
Reply 18
No Israel didn't take all of their country. Palestine was full of Jews, Christians and Muslims and at that time it was a British protectorate. It was Britain when it was still a superpower, after WW2, that carved up Palestine, not the Israeli's. I can't remember the general who was comissioned to oversee it, but he is quite well known.

Israel don't need to respect the 1967 borders, Palestine declared war on a soverign nation, unprovoked and was humiliatingly defeated. Why should Israel pull back the 1% of land it took, it wasn't the agressor. Plus, show me a link that says Hamas would even accept that deal

Only a tiny percentage was jewish. It took far more than 1% :eyeball: and it most certainly was the agressor. How else do you think they have the most fertile lands and the most land in general in the whole of former Palestine?

and here'sa link http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-3249568,00.html
Reply 19

the whole world bar america england and israel will recognise them, but becoming independant is pretty bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending