The Student Room Group

why the Film/TV production course at Bristol is so expensive?

Hi, everybody

I'm a Chinese 4th-year undergraduate, and I've applied for studies in the UK.

I just received an offer Bristol Univ, MA in Film& TV production.

Although Bristol's course is my favourite one, the tuition fee is crrrrrrrazy!-- 18120 pounds a year!!! Compared with other similar courses at universities like Royal Holloway and Westminter that cost around 11000 pounds, it's way too expensive!

Now I'm hesitating whether to accept it or not. Is this master course really worth spending that much money?

Can anybody give me some advice? Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi there, I'm a Chinese too, from Malaysia, :tongue: applied for Bristol MA in Film and TV Production as well last week. :smile:

According to their website, the course fee covers all the expenses you need for the production cost. This is to ensure that all students are treated fairly and that they are able to complete their work during the course of study.

However, as for the other universities (like Salford), normally they provide equipments needed as well. What is not covered are like talent fees, food, travelling and misc costs.

Hmm.. now you make me think what do they mean by COVER ALL COSTS... maybe they would allocate a budget for all students to use? Can write to them and ask for the exact situation actually.

May I know when did you send your application? and how long did they take to give you an offer? This is because I'm attending a scholarship interview in February and hope to get an offer by then. What other universities you applied? Why? Kindly let me know ya!
Reply 2
yes-say
Hi there, I'm a Chinese too, from Malaysia, :tongue: applied for Bristol MA in Film and TV Production as well last week. :smile:

According to their website, the course fee covers all the expenses you need for the production cost. This is to ensure that all students are treated fairly and that they are able to complete their work during the course of study.

However, as for the other universities (like Salford), normally they provide equipments needed as well. What is not covered are like talent fees, food, travelling and misc costs.

Hmm.. now you make me think what do they mean by COVER ALL COSTS... maybe they would allocate a budget for all students to use? Can write to them and ask for the exact situation actually.

May I know when did you send your application? and how long did they take to give you an offer? This is because I'm attending a scholarship interview in February and hope to get an offer by then. What other universities you applied? Why? Kindly let me know ya!

Hi, yes-say

I think You're right as to the reason why the tuition fee for the film production at bristol is expensive. According to their website, the fee covers all the cost concerning the production course. But it is a rather a general saying, isn't it? because applicants don't know the specific aspects that the fee covers. ALL THE COSTS-- what are they?

The thing is, I've also applied for journalism studies at Cardiff Univ, and received an offer. The fee at Cardiff is much more cheaper, about 10200 pounds. So now I'm hesitating...

To answer your question: I applied for the couse in Sep. 2008, and sent my application package around 15th Sep. or so, and received an email from the department informing me that they'd give me an offer in the end of November. They sent me the formal offer on 15th Dec. and on 3rd Jan. 2009, I received it.

I also have an offer from Loughborough MA in media analysis, but I decide to give up.

BTW, what kind of scholarship are you going to apply for? the scholarship intended for commonwealth countries?

Hope my information helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending