The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

If you are worried about a lack of work experience what's stopping you getting a summer job?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
MeanMachine
your a member of mensa? :O :O :O

Its not an elite club as some may think.
Reply 22
You've got it!

Also, I've found that US unis asked me for lower grades when I emailed them about potentially going there, so with that and your straight A's and your first, I think you'll be fine! Furthermore, if you don't get in, I'm sure Warwick'll whip you up in a second!
Danny_777
Absolute, unmitigated rubbish. Plenty more that apply get firsts than there are spaces.

In fact, for Maths, I don't think anyone really applies without one.

Having done my masters at LSE I can say there were plenty of people around with 2.1's including myself. There are fewer at Oxford where I am now doing my doctorate. The IR department at LSE is competitive, but I'm sure one could get in with a 1st from Warwick in maths. Management I would guess is easier to get in for.

Are you saying that most maths graduates who apply to LSE (for a postgrad subject other than maths) have a 1st? If this is the case maybe there are many more 1sts around in maths than in the arts.
pendragon
Having done my masters at LSE I can say there were plenty of people around with 2.1's including myself. There are fewer at Oxford where I am now doing my doctorate. The IR department at LSE is competitive, but I'm sure one could get in with a 1st from Warwick in maths. Management I would guess is easier to get in for.

Are you saying that most maths graduates who apply to LSE (for a postgrad subject other than maths) have a 1st? If this is the case maybe there are many more 1sts around in maths than in the arts.

Absolutely! 62% of all Maths graduates from Durham get a First, which is scary :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Danny_777
Absolutely! 62% of all Maths graduates from Durham get a First, which is scary :s-smilie:

No way. Do you have a source for this?
Reply 26
Slick 'n' Shady
Its not an elite club as some may think.

No it's not. That would just to demonstrate that I'm not too bad at those kind of questions!
Reply 27
thepinkpowerranger
If you are worried about a lack of work experience what's stopping you getting a summer job?

I'm going to do this. What kind of thing should I apply for? There seems to be a distinct lack of placements in the IR/management areas.
Reply 28
Clomipramine
I studied one of the biological sciences at undergraduate level and successfully got an offer for MSc in Management. So your Math degree is definitely no problem at all, since my switch is even bigger than yours. Just tell them a good reason for your switch. Lack of extracurricular activities directly relevant to Management doesn't matter too much, as long as your involvement in those activities demonstrate that you have the soft skills necessary to be successful in your chosen field in the future.

I have also applied to Harvard, Yale, and Duke for the Master's degree in an Arts major. Again, another huge change in major.

Lastly, keep up your good grades, and think about how to write a good, convincing personal statement. Working experience is not essential for MSc in Management since it is basically a pre-experience programme.

May I know what your current university is and what programs you have applied for?(and the results of those applications so far!)
Reply 29
Totally Tom
lol@120 cats in first year.

also, you wrote for the boar? WHO ARE YOU? post some more in the warwick current students forum. pease:smile:

Why lol? I wanted to experience more of extra-curricular life in the first year rather than working myself to death, especially given as it's only worth 10%. This year I've realised I could gain a good 5/6% by overcatting and I'm prepared to work much harder as it's the second year.

Haha, I don't post much on TSR at all! What year are you in?
Reply 30
I would also like to study IR at Master level, and I'm not doing a degree in social sciences either, which is apparently a requirement for Oxbridge. If you have the chance to take some Politics modules and to get involved in some Politics-related societies, then I'd advise you to go for it, and ideally getting some relevant job experience would only strengthen your application. However, bear in mind that most applicants for this kind of Master and especially at Oxbridge will have first in the relevant fields of studies (Politics and IR), so not only do you need to be outstanding, but also to be impressive on the paper, because as far as I know, Maths doesn't have much to do with IR/Politics :colondollar:. Don't hesitate to email the unis you might be interested in to see if there is any chance they would take your degree into consideration when applying. Anyway, good look with your current degree :yep:
i dont see why you would think you dont have a chance ! your just what they look for in a candidate
Reply 32
alixxxxxx1
i dont see why you would think you dont have a chance ! your just what they look for in a candidate

It's not exactly the right subject, though, is it…
Reply 33
Danny_777

I always found this shocking, Durham is a good university for maths but giving out that many firsts is just plain ridiculous. I wonder why external assesors are not doing anything about it.
Reply 34
Rosie151
Why lol? I wanted to experience more of extra-curricular life in the first year rather than working myself to death, especially given as it's only worth 10%. This year I've realised I could gain a good 5/6% by overcatting and I'm prepared to work much harder as it's the second year.

I'm not replying directly to your post but I was wondering if you regretted choosing maths as your undegrad subject and not IR/management instead? Obviously, you're lucky to have chosen a flexible maths course that let's you expand on your other interests.
Rosie151
May I know what your current university is and what programs you have applied for?(and the results of those applications so far!)

Please check PM~
Reply 36
Its easier to get into Oxbridge for a masters than it is at undergraduate level, that being said it's still pretty tough. But if you do get a First from Warwick, you'll stand in very good stead.
Reply 37
Joluk
Its easier to get into Oxbridge for a masters than it is at undergraduate level, that being said it's still pretty tough.

I'm not so sure about that, I think it would mostly depend on the course you're applying for. I got interviewed for my course and had a number of unseen technical questions to answer for which I had to prepare for during the holidays. Applications for masters courses being at an all-time new high due to the scarcity of jobs available this year doesn't make anything easier.
Rosie151

i'm a freshar.
Reply 39
Krush
I'm not replying directly to your post but I was wondering if you regretted choosing maths as your undegrad subject and not IR/management instead? Obviously, you're lucky to have chosen a flexible maths course that let's you expand on your other interests.

I don't exactly regret it but there are a lot more factors to consider than I realised when I was 17. In truth I regret not applying to American universities, simply because I'm one of those people who is interested in a wide variety of subjects. I studied five subjects at A-Level from both sciences and humanities and was very torn between PPE and maths. Since coming to university I have enjoyed my business modules so much (considered switching to maths and business but decided against it) that I would consider doing management as well.

If I was choosing my undergraduate degree again I would still be torn between PPE and maths! I think PPE is a fantastically broad and interesting degree and I have the interest in politics and economics and background in maths to back it up. The only thing I'm not sure about would be the philosophy. However I do love maths and my degree and the Warwick course is fantastic as well as allowing you to take so many outside options.

Latest

Trending

Trending