The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anatheme
I would also like to study IR at Master level, and I'm not doing a degree in social sciences either, which is apparently a requirement for Oxbridge. If you have the chance to take some Politics modules and to get involved in some Politics-related societies, then I'd advise you to go for it, and ideally getting some relevant job experience would only strengthen your application. However, bear in mind that most applicants for this kind of Master and especially at Oxbridge will have first in the relevant fields of studies (Politics and IR), so not only do you need to be outstanding, but also to be impressive on the paper, because as far as I know, Maths doesn't have much to do with IR/Politics :colondollar:. Don't hesitate to email the unis you might be interested in to see if there is any chance they would take your degree into consideration when applying. Anyway, good look with your current degree :yep:

Thank you. Yes, both Oxford and Cambridge suggest pretty strongly that you should have a degree in the social sciences which concerns me. I don't want to put all my efforts and hopes into applying for a course when I already start out as an unlikely candidate. Do you think that having a maths degree instead of a social sciences degree will be a disadvantage or would they see it as a positive thing to have a different background. What kind of work experience should I try to get? It seems very difficult to get work experience in politics unless you have connections.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 41
Krush
I always found this shocking, Durham is a good university for maths but giving out that many firsts is just plain ridiculous. I wonder why external assesors are not doing anything about it.

Is that really true? It seems astounding, given that Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol offer harder maths degrees and yet give out approximately half the number of firsts.
Reply 42
Rosie151
Thank you. Yes, both Oxford and Cambridge suggest pretty strongly that you should have a degree in the social sciences which concerns me. I don't want to put all my efforts and hopes into applying for a course when I already start out as an unlikely candidate. Do you think that having a maths degree instead of a social sciences degree will be a disadvantage or would they see it as a positive thing to have a different background. What kind of work experience should I try to get? It seems very difficult to get work experience in politics unless you have connections.

I agree that it really sounds impossible to get some work experience. I was thinking of applying for internships at the EU and the UN and getting involved in my uni MUN, that's unfortunately all I can think of… I recommend you check these websites: European Youth Portal and Youth and the United Nations, you may find an internship looking for the skills you are gaining with a Maths degree.

I honestly don't think it's a very good thing, since students doing Pol/IR will get a broader cultural and academical background as you (and I) will have, since they studies stuff like the main trends, political theories and so much more we won't study. However, don't give up hope. If you can indeed get a strong application and a subject of research that will interest them, then I'd say you stand a chance, as everyone else does.
Reply 43
Rosie151
Is that really true? It seems astounding, given that Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial and Bristol offer harder maths degrees and yet give out approximately half the number of firsts.

It was a blip one year, normally it's more like 30%. Any particular reason you say those universities offer harder courses? Would be interested to know if you had any proof.
Rosie151
No way. Do you have a source for this?

http://www.unistats.com
Reply 45
Anatheme
I agree that it really sounds impossible to get some work experience. I was thinking of applying for internships at the EU and the UN and getting involved in my uni MUN, that's unfortunately all I can think of… I recommend you check these websites: European Youth Portal and Youth and the United Nations, you may find an internship looking for the skills you are gaining with a Maths degree.

I honestly don't think it's a very good thing, since students doing Pol/IR will get a broader cultural and academical background as you (and I) will have, since they studies stuff like the main trends, political theories and so much more we won't study. However, don't give up hope. If you can indeed get a strong application and a subject of research that will interest them, then I'd say you stand a chance, as everyone else does.

Thanks for those links! Yeah...unfortunately I share your opinion subject-wise! I'll do my best though and good luck to you. If you want to keep in touch, then we can recommend political journals/work experience/reading to each other - that'd be great!
Reply 46
Sooz
It was a blip one year, normally it's more like 30%. Any particular reason you say those universities offer harder courses? Would be interested to know if you had any proof.

Wow. I'm still astonished that they didn't moderate the results more. 30% sounds about right to me.

It's generally accepted within the mathematical community that Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial offer the best maths degress in the country followed by Bristol and I'm guessing that a lot of Durham maths academics would agree. Durham's degree is still fantastic, of course, and I'm sure you could construct an argument in favour of them but that's just what most academics believe. If you google maths degrees you can quite easily find some of these opinions. I wouldn't go as far to call it proof!
Reply 47

In that case I apologise. However, this is clearly an exception and firsts are not all that common and should still be viewed as a huge achievement! The norm is a 2'1.
Rosie151
Thanks for that ever so helpful reply but I would like people's opinions and I'm not sure that having a comprehensive knowledge of the postgraduate systems of two different countries is quite the same as being smart.

lol absolutley smoked him.
Reply 49
Rosie151
Thanks for those links! Yeah...unfortunately I share your opinion subject-wise! I'll do my best though and good luck to you. If you want to keep in touch, then we can recommend political journals/work experience/reading to each other - that'd be great!

Yeah let's do that, it's a great idea :biggrin:
Reply 50
Rosie151
Wow. I'm still astonished that they didn't moderate the results more. 30% sounds about right to me.

It's generally accepted within the mathematical community that Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and Imperial offer the best maths degress in the country followed by Bristol and I'm guessing that a lot of Durham maths academics would agree. Durham's degree is still fantastic, of course, and I'm sure you could construct an argument in favour of them but that's just what most academics believe. If you google maths degrees you can quite easily find some of these opinions. I wouldn't go as far to call it proof!

Ah ok, just from comparing exam papers and lecture notes from the different degrees there seems to be a difference between Cambridge and the rest but not much difference between the rest.
Reply 51
Any other ways I can make myself a stronger candidate?
From my own experience of applying, US universities look a lot more at work experience, leadership, and extracurriculars. Harvard wants people who will be stars; there are tons of people out there with good grades, near-prefect GRE, good extracurriculars, and a stellar internship on their resumes; you have to convince Harvard that you will become the star out of all of them. To improve your Ivy chances, I'd study hard for the GRE. If you haven't taken a test like it, it's probably quite strange. In the US, we've been taking tests like it for a long, long time (SAT, ACT, ect), but people still devote a lot of time taking classes and studying for the GRE.

UK universities seem to focus most on academic performance - it seems that being in the top 5-10% of the class (UK first degree) is the most important factor for Oxbridge, although good internships, work experience, and leadership surely can't hurt. Good luck!
Reply 53
bump. more opinions please!
Reply 54
If I may intervene: It might be easier to get into postgraduate IR with maths in the US because IR in the US is heavily focussed on quantitative approaches and game theory which can require lots of it. :wink: In fact, a friend of mine, a maths PhD student at an American university became quite heavily involved with his universities' Politics/IR department, simply because many number-crunchers are needed.
Krush
As a fellow Warwick mathematician finalist, I don't think it is really wise to assume you will get a first just because you got a first in your 1st year (loads of people get firsts that year). Statistically you do down 10% in your 2nd compared to the 1st year, and I personally know someone who went down by 20% without any abnormal circumstances.

Back on topic, I think you have a good chance. Back up your personal statement with a lot of relevant info, explaining in logical steps how your interests moved from maths to management. Talk to your tutor and other members of staff who are likely to write references for your postgrad apps about your interests.

LOL you have to be kidding.
Reply 56
Pillar of Autumn
LOL you have to be kidding.

Well, around 30% of Warwick mathmos get firsts in their first year. This proportion drops down significantly in the 2nd and 3rd year.
Reply 57
As others have pointed out, OP, your switch from maths to management is certainly not a problem.

However, your lack of relevant work experience is, although it looks like you're already building up a solid core of relevant extra-curriculars. Please, for the love of God, leave out the irrelevant extra-curriculars when writing your statement of purpose: good universities (even the American ones) are only really interested in your academic credentials and RELEVANT experience at postgraduate level (I think a lot of the people here who are commenting on the American universities' love of extra-curriculars are referring to their undergraduate level criteria). You should also make sure you stress your academic interests very specifically (e.g. what topics have you already read around? what would you like to know more about? and what topic would your dissertation likely be on?).

My main concern, however, is that you don't seem to have a tenable reason for wanting to pursue further academic study. If you have already taken plenty of relevant management/business modules during your degree, then why not go to employers simply with these (and some more work experience, which you have plenty of time to get)? I understand that you have many interests, but you can easily pursue these in your own time without spending a lot of money. I wish I'd studied Classics and Italian, or Classics and French, and would have quite happily also studied History, Philosophy or Music at a higher level, but I now live in France, study Italian in my spare time, read a lot of history and philosophy, and hope to buy a decent piano of my own within the next couple of years. Don't see a master's course as the only way to pursue your other interests and/or realise your career ambitions.

If despite all this you still want to proceed, get on to the websites that Anathème suggested and also visit www.conferencealerts.com, put in your interests, and wait for news of relevant conferences and exhibitions to start rolling into your inbox. This would also give you the chance to network for the future with academics at universities you might be interested in.
Reply 58
Am I right in thinking that it is a lot harder to get funding for postgrad if you are doing something you didn't study at undergrad?
Also, are masters in the US the same length at British ones?

Sorry to hijack the thread here but, say I am studying philosophy, if I took mostly political modules do you think I would stand a chance getting onto an international relations/politics type course? Or a course where I can learn a language? I'm not particularly thinking oxbridge; more SOAS or a course from SSEES at UCL - where I would have to pick up a language in a year. I am near fluent in one language already and have taken up another which I hope to be quite good at in a couple of years but I wouldn't really have any 'proof' that I am adequate at languages...
Reply 59
Angelil
And also visit www.conferencealerts.com, put in your interests, and wait for news of relevant conferences and exhibitions to start rolling into your inbox. This would also give you the chance to network for the future with academics at universities you might be interested in.

I love you, Angelil :love:
How's France going, btw? I hope people are not mean to you :hmmm:

Latest

Trending

Trending