The Student Room Group

Harvard

Scroll to see replies

Just how good at extra-curricular activities do you have to be to get into Harvard?
backintime
Just how good at extra-curricular activities do you have to be to get into Harvard?

Good enough to be able to write several essays about your involvement, and have teachers very impressed when they're writing your reference. They also have a space specifically for you to talk about leadership positions on their application forms, which isn't necessary but the fact that it's their means you really do need to put something down to be competitive.

You could, theoretically, blag most if it, but you definitely need your teachers to be singing your praises in terms of both academics and extracurriculars, which makes it a tad more difficult.
numb3rb0y
Good enough to be able to write several essays about your involvement, and have teachers very impressed when they're writing your reference. They also have a space specifically for you to talk about leadership positions on their application forms, which isn't necessary but the fact that it's their means you really do need to put something down to be competitive.

You could, theoretically, blag most if it, but you definitely need your teachers to be singing your praises in terms of both academics and extracurriculars, which makes it a tad more difficult.

they have a grade verification companies run background checks on you, and check if what you said is true.
Elementric
Cambridge is different how exactly?

The financial endowment of Cambridge is pretty much the same as the budget for Harvard's Staff Cafeteria!
Dave_McDougall
they have a grade verification companies run background checks on you, and check if what you said is true.

...not in terms of in-school extra-curricular activities, and certainly not in terms of specifics like positions or exactly what you did.
Reply 65
Wow, there's a lot of incorrect information in this thread.

DeanK2
However, one could argue that while a PhD is certainly far better and perhaps the best available, the undergraduate teaching of Harvard and Yale has much to be desired.
I've heard this before- and *always* from people with no affiliation whatsoever with either school. Both Harvard and Yale provide outstanding undergraduate educations. Yale is ranked in the top 10 for the % of PhDs produced, and Harvard isn't far behind. Both are at the top of the heap for winning awards like the Rhodes and Marshall.

Nyet
If you get a high 2.1 or above from a top 5 UK university at undergrad, plus good GRE scores (in case you don't know, its a mindless standardised test of the type that Americans masturbate over) and letters of reference (these being uber-important), then it isn't too hard.

"Not too hard"? Some fields (i.e. psychology) have an admit rate under 3%...and keep in mind this is with a self-selected applicant pool. Most graduate programs at Harvard are insanely competitive.

jismith1989
Most of that aid does consist of loans though.

Um...no. Harvard is loan-free.

Nyet
despite their performance on the ironically named 'scholastic aptitude test.
The SAT hasn't been an acronym in years.

Nyet
Same; a great deal of them are monkeys, and certainly not in there because of academic merit

Valedictorians and salutatorians make up 39% and 11%, respectively, of Dartmouth's class of 2012. That means 1 out of every 2 Dartmouth students was ranked 1st or 2nd in his class. As for the other 50%, 94% of them were ranked in the top 10% of their class. Monkeys? Gimme a break.

sulpicia
I know a lot of American Ivy leagures who would not cope at Oxbridge

The plural of anecdote is not evidence.
Reply 66
devil09
Wow, there's a lot of incorrect information in this thread.

I've heard this before, and *always* from people with no affiliation whatsoever with either school. Both Harvard and Yale provide outstanding undergraduate educations. Yale is ranked in the top 10 for the % of PhDs produced, and Harvard isn't far behind. Both are at the top of the heap for winning awards like the Rhodes and Marshall.

"Not too hard"? Some fields (i.e. psychology) have an admit rate under 3%. Most graduate programs at Harvard are insanely competitive.

Um...no. The funding for international students at Harvard is almost exactly the same as it is for domestic students.

The SAT hasn't been an acronym in years.

Valedictorians and salutatorians make up 39% and 11% of Dartmouth's class of 2012, respectively. That means 1 out of every 2 Dartmouth students was ranked 1st or 2nd in his class. As for the other 50%, 94% of them were ranked in the top 10% of their class. Monkeys? Gimme a break.

Unsubstantiated claims are a dime a dozen. What's your reasoning?

i thought it was quite obvious :rolleyes: but if you didn't understand i'll explain: you don't have to do a levels and sats in the american system to get in whilst you do over here.
Reply 67
Bismarck
For another interesting stat, fewer than 10% of the valedictorians (the person with the highest grade in the entire school) who apply to Harvard get in. A majority of people with perfect SAT grades do not get in. Virtually everyone applying to Harvard is one or the other, so the college makes decisions based on other criteria.

what do you mean one or the other?
Reply 68
devil09
Unsubstantiated claims are a dime a dozen. What's your reasoning?

MOST OF US HAVE GOT FFERS FROM OXBRIDGE AND HAVE HAD TO DO INTERVIEWS - ERGO WE HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE.

I also read ramblings of A* that concern GCSE's. Universities are only interested in A-levels which are harder than the AP exams - (considering I have looked at both).

Cmabridge also do STEP, something NONE of the people who apply for mathematics at Harvard must do.
HESA
i thought it was quite obvious :rolleyes: but if you didn't understand i'll explain: you don't have to do a levels and sats in the american system to get in whilst you do over here.

...what? If you're American, you need SATs and APs to get into either HYP or Oxbridge. If you're British, you need A-levels to get into Oxbridge or SATs and A-levels to get into HYP.

I don't see the huge difference.
devil09
Um...no. Harvard is loan-free.

Well, I was looking at the Law School, so I can't talk about the College, but the financial aid packages at HLS are very much loan-based. I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this would be the policy university-wide.
Reply 71
I said it's easier to get into harvard than oxbridge if you're in the americn system, and like you pointed out, i was right.
HESA
I said it's easier to get into harvard than oxbridge if you're in the americn system, and like you pointed out, i was right.

What? If you're in the American system you need APs and SATs, if you're in the British you need A-levels and SATs. APs are roughly equivalent to A-levels.
Reply 73
HESA
what do you mean one or the other?

I mean either people have the best grades in their school or have perfect SAT scores...And Harvard is far more difficult to get into because academic perfection isn't enough to get in, and Harvard is far more international than Oxbridge, meaning applicants are competing against people in the entire world.

numb3rb0y
What? If you're in the American system you need APs and SATs, if you're in the British you need A-levels and SATs. APs are roughly equivalent to A-levels.

You also need community services, part-time jobs, involvement in school activities, being a saint, etc.
Reply 74
Bismarck
I mean either people have the best grades in their school or have perfect SAT scores...And Harvard is far more difficult to get into because academic perfection isn't enough to get in, and Harvard is far more international than Oxbridge, meaning applicants are competing against people in the entire world.

You also need community services, part-time jobs, involvement in school activities, being a saint, etc.

yes, that's very true.
Bismarck

British applicants to US universities need those things too, and US applicants to Oxbridge don't need any of them, so I don't see it reinforces HESA's point.
Reply 76
numb3rb0y
British applicants to US universities need those things too, and US applicants to Oxbridge don't need any of them, so I don't see it reinforces HESA's point.

He said it's easier to get into Harvard than Oxbridge if you're in the American system. It's not. Oxbridge will only look at the Americans' grades. Harvard asks for a million other things.
Bismarck
He said it's easier to get into Harvard than Oxbridge if you're in the American system. It's not. Oxbridge will only look at the Americans' grades. Harvard asks for a million other things.

Ah, I thought you were agreeing with him, nevermind then.
Reply 78
HESA
I never said they're the same as A-levels :wink: maybe you should learn to read before you consider Harvard?

Like i said, Harvard is easier to get into than onxbridge if you're in the american system.

Look back to where you said "SAT's are easier than A levels...", sounds like a direct comparison to me...

Either way I think Harvard is much harder. Most of those claims of "MIT GIMPS", "Ivy league Monkeys" and the like are just pro oxbridge banter.

With regards to the ease of admittance due to ones location, I don't think so, even if your in the American system. This is because the sheer amount of applicants is so much more, Oxbridge each have roughly 15000 applicants I would say Harvard has about 25000 including EA applicants.

To those who thought me wrong about the percentages, here are the percentages for Harvard and Oxbridge.

Oxford (for entrance '07) = 23.2% success rate (and attending)
source = www.ox.ac.uk/document.rm?id=350

Harvard (for entrance '07) = 8.8% success rate (and attending)
source = http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/harvard_profile.htm

Cambridge (for entrance '07) = 24% success rate (and attending)
source - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/university.html

End of discussion??
Connhk
Look back to where you said "SAT's are easier than A levels...", sounds like a direct comparison to me...

I'd say they are comparable, not in the sense of how difficult they are but in the sense of what they are used for. US applicants use SAT I and II to get into university just as UK applicants use A levels to get into UK unis... so they are comparable in that sense. However how much a uni uses this information, or how much importance they put on it is a different matter, but essentially SATs are the UK equivalent to access Higher Education.

Connhk

Either way I think Harvard is much harder. Most of those claims of "MIT GIMPS", "Ivy league Monkeys" and the like are just pro oxbridge banter.

No, I usually get that because I have done SAT I, have done SAT II, and have seen how moronic both exams are. But that's the general impression we get when we see an SAT paper... But I guess most people there are really clever and intelligent people they are just one year behind...

Connhk

With regards to the ease of admittance due to ones location, I don't think so, even if your in the American system. This is because the sheer amount of applicants is so much more, Oxbridge each have roughly 15000 applicants I would say Harvard has about 25000 including EA applicants.

To those who thought me wrong about the percentages, here are the percentages for Harvard and Oxbridge.

Oxford (for entrance '07) = 23.2% success rate (and attending)
source = www.ox.ac.uk/document.rm?id=350

Harvard (for entrance '07) = 8.8% success rate (and attending)
source = http://collegeapps.about.com/od/collegeprofiles/p/harvard_profile.htm

Cambridge (for entrance '07) = 24% success rate (and attending)
source - http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/university.html

End of discussion??

One thing I have to emphasize, those numbers don't mean a thing... I mean just as somebody said earlier... in the US you can apply to however many colleges you want whereas in the UK you only get 5 choices... That means that people are going to think about it first people putting down the choices...

Also in the UK as an undergrad you can only apply to one of Cambridge and Oxford, which again drastically lowers the amount of applications to either university because I'd bet more than half of those 15000 applying to Oxford would've wanted to apply to Cambridge "just in case"... (I say more than half because if we didn't have the 5 choice restriction all of them would...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending