The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

English Literature at Manchester? (or a review in general!)

Does anybody study English Literature at Manchester? I was wondering if someone could give me a general review of the course, and if anybody could tell me how flexible it was (for example if, say, film or something similar could be incorporated into the subject).

Or if anybody has thoughts on the university in general that would be great :smile:

My father went to Manchester university and really enjoyed it, but for some reason its student satisfaction levels are far, far, lower than those of all the other universities I have applied for, does this statistic actually mean anything? Does the size of the university and city detract from a sense of community?

:biggrin: Thanks!
League tables equal fail.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Yeah league tables are not to be trusted…
I find Manchester awesome, you may like or dislike the size of the city and campus, but at least there is always something to do and someone to meet. There are zillions of societies and sport teams, they always have lots of conferences and stuff you can attend, I really enjoy being there. The facilities are amazing and the uni is well structured, so if you ever have a problem you'll easily find someone to help you :yep:

About English Lit, it's not my course, but I found this on the website and maybe having a look at the handbook will help you choosing your uni.
Reply 3
Yeah I do treat the league tables with a good deal of apprehension, it just struck me as strange that there was a very distinct difference, all of the ones I have applied to have about 95% student satisfaction and Manchester had 70%

probably something to do with the way the data is collected
Reply 4
HexagonalBolts
Yeah I do treat the league tables with a good deal of apprehension, it just struck me as strange that there was a very distinct difference, all of the ones I have applied to have about 95% student satisfaction and Manchester had 70%

probably something to do with the way the data is collected

I don't know when they collected this kind of data because they included it in league tables since this year only, but if they used the old 2001 data from before the merging of the two unis, then it may explain why.
im applying for this course too OP, but havent heard back yet :frown:

anyway, the open day sounded really really interesting! and living in manchester i know the city is amazing :smile:
Reply 6
berryfantastic
im applying for this course too OP, but havent heard back yet :frown:

anyway, the open day sounded really really interesting! and living in manchester i know the city is amazing :smile:

I haven't heard back yet either :frown:

Don't worry i'm sure we will get in :smile:

Good luck!
HexagonalBolts
I haven't heard back yet either :frown:

Don't worry i'm sure we will get in :smile:

Good luck!

ive applied for 2 courses (to be on the safe side!) lol and ive got a place but i really want the single honours =/

fingers crossed for us, good luck! :smile:
i also haven't heard from manch for english ( or any of my unis for that matter!) and applied in november.
good luck :smile:
Reply 9
I do English Lit at Manchester, and although I'm re-applying, that's not a slight on the course. I wouldn't say it was particularly flexible in first year though, there's one free-choice module and I don't think there are any film options (I'm not sure, though), but there are a wide range of things to choose from; economics, theology, languages, geography, philosophy, history of art and other things I've forgotten. I'm doing a general arts course. It gets much more flexible in second year.

I've found that students at manchester like complaining, there's always something to whinge about if you look hard enough and I think this is the general outlook of the students here. they're always being unsatisfied about something. I don't think loads of people are genuinly miserable here, I think we're just cynical. sigh, I miss student direct.
Reply 10
I'm in my first year studying drama &, although I'm not sure if the drama film module (The Art of Film) is available as a free choice, I picked an English module as my free choice course called 'Reading Film'. I haven't started it yet as it's a second semester option, so I cant tell you what it's like. But yes, the option is there!
OhNO!
I do English Lit at Manchester, and although I'm re-applying, that's not a slight on the course. I wouldn't say it was particularly flexible in first year though, there's one free-choice module and I don't think there are any film options (I'm not sure, though), but there are a wide range of things to choose from; economics, theology, languages, geography, philosophy, history of art and other things I've forgotten. I'm doing a general arts course. It gets much more flexible in second year.

I've found that students at manchester like complaining, there's always something to whinge about if you look hard enough and I think this is the general outlook of the students here. they're always being unsatisfied about something. I don't think loads of people are genuinly miserable here, I think we're just cynical. sigh, I miss student direct.

Haha, now you're being cynical about the cynics :smile: What is student direct?

Thanks for the info sarahemery!
Reply 12
HexagonalBolts
Haha, now you're being cynical about the cynics :smile: What is student direct?

Thanks for the info sarahemery!

student direct is our ridiculous student newspaper. it's really good and also a complete joke at the same time.

there's a part of one of the compulsory modules (Reading Popular Culture) which is a bit film-y. I've been doing my essay on a film this christmas, too. Mulan to be precise :biggrin:
hahah mulan! Sweeet

Do you get much work at Manchester? I think I remember someone saying the workload was dumb, but I couldn't work out if they meant light or heavy... it is probably normal after all that :/ hahah
Reply 14
Depends on your definition of 'much work', I suppose. at the beginning of term, we were told that we would be expected to put in 10 hours of work outside uni, for every hour we were in uni so that would make 66 hours of work per week. I reckon, if you tried, you could do 66 hours of work a week but it's not really necessary and I doubt there's anyone who does anywhere near that much. As far as assessed work, I did about eight essays of 1500 words each last term and we had to post on online discussions, 12 posts of about 150-200 words each. Add to that the reading list, and attending seminars and lectures, you can decide for yourself whether that's a lot.

I thought first term was a bit of a doss tbh, we'll see for second term..

Latest

Trending

Trending