The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im so academic
you must have gotten 100% in your AS levels

I'm fairly sure they interview anyone with AAA, or whatever, and a PS that isn't terrible or a weak reference.

The rest, they test.
im so academic
you must have gotten 100% in your AS levels

Why? You're really not knowledgeable enough to be giving Oxbridge advice to another gcse student, especially seeing as most of what I see you say is rubbish.
im so academic
hypothetically, same quality students BUT:

A = 13A* 1 A
B = 14A*

all the same subjects, PS, interview etc - who would you pick River85?

I'd pick the one that could spell his own username on TSR. :smile:
Reply 23
SophieM
What about a D in DT and ICT?

D in Drama, E in IT, and I got a Cambridge offer. The important factors are your grades at AS, your predictions and reference, and your interview. Personal statement somewhat, GCSE's somewhat.

Get the best grades you feasibly can, get the best A levels you feasibly can, work hard and impress your teachers, write the best PS you feasibly can, and apply. You'll either get in - great! - or you won't. If you don't, you've tried, you've learned how to study, and you can go somewhere else and have a great time at University.
I hope it doesn't matter...I got 2 Cs in ICT and Drama and am applying for Law. I got A*s in English Lit, English Lang, French, RS and As in History and Science so I'm hoping that those will count for more than completely irrelevant subjects that I was forced to take by my ****** school that placed such huge emphasis on the vocational side of things.
Reply 25
I had two Bs (Science double award), a C (history) and a D (drama) at IGCSE. I only had one A* (German) and two As (math, english). Still got an offer from Cambridge.
Honestly, I really don't think they put much weight on GCSEs. They certainly shouldn't. Apart from anything else, people change over the years, develop skills but also develop as a person. For example, I did as little work as possible (did my homework - just) for GCSE, didn't even complete my physics coursework, and did no revision for my exams. Admittedly I came out with alright grades, nothing spectacular though.
Anyway, I agree with what others are saying, AS and A level are more important, as well as personal statement and references and of course interview. Also if you screw up AS and get rejected, it's not the end of the world. If you are set on oxbridge, take a gap year, work a bit for your A levels and reapply. I've done that (though I was always going for a gap year, and i'm not even sure I want to go to cambridge!) and I now have an offer and it's unconditional which, although is your only option when you already have your results, feels good anyway!
Reply 27
Drummer23
Someone i know had only C's and D's at GCSE and went to cambridge.
Stop being an elitist toff and get on with it.

please tell me you're exxagerating.
no it wont.
Drummer23
Someone i know had only C's and D's at GCSE and went to cambridge.

Stop being an elitist toff and get on with it.

Well you're either lying or misinformed. That's ********.

And of course the best universities in the World are 'elitist'. They readily discriminate based on academic ability. Thank the Lord they are elitist.
Reply 30
timotiis
D in Drama, E in IT, and I got a Cambridge offer. The important factors are your grades at AS, your predictions and reference, and your interview. Personal statement somewhat, GCSE's somewhat.

Get the best grades you feasibly can, get the best A levels you feasibly can, work hard and impress your teachers, write the best PS you feasibly can, and apply. You'll either get in - great! - or you won't. If you don't, you've tried, you've learned how to study, and you can go somewhere else and have a great time at University.

From my view, a year 12 student, i think that was the best reply timotiis, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 31
I got 5 As 6 Bs and still got an interview at Oxford.
Admittedly I didn't get an offer,
but that was because I messed an interview up...

I highly doubt one bad grade will ruin your chances.
They're looking for potential.

Latest

Trending

Trending