The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

ELDON COURT- the worst decision anyone can ever make.

Its got a great location and rent is decent but the Management- i have literally lost my voice because of arguments I have with them EVERYDAY. Just recently I fought with them to get POWER in the flat. We didnt have power through the night during exams- luckily eddy b. is 24 hours now. We did not have hot water for 4 days. There are cockroaches and silver fish everywhere. I hear some flats even have rats. The hobs are broken, the gym equipment is broken, dryer in the laundry never works and nothing they promised during the signing was ever done.
The place is not worth a pound! I wouldnt live here even an extra day than I need to.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by HoneyNutCrunch
ELDON COURT- the worst decision anyone can ever make.

Its got a great location and rent is decent but the Management- i have literally lost my voice because of arguments I have with them EVERYDAY. Just recently I fought with them to get POWER in the flat. We didnt have power through the night during exams- luckily eddy b. is 24 hours now. We did not have hot water for 4 days. There are cockroaches and silver fish everywhere. I hear some flats even have rats. The hobs are broken, the gym equipment is broken, dryer in the laundry never works and nothing they promised during the signing was ever done.
The place is not worth a pound! I wouldnt live here even an extra day than I need to.

I lived there last year and it was just as bad!! they have been taken of the unipol code because they wouldnt provide students with electricity!! complain to student union or unipol- I found them very helpfuk! or the council for the cockroaches and silverfish as its a health and safety issue
Reply 22
Well We DID take Avtar to court, AND WON c. £8,000 from them, sweet, and rightly deserved.They held us to pay rent over the summer before we moved in, we moved in Sept 2011, the place was unfit, we then left, abandoning our tenancy. At the end of the year Avtar sued all 5 of us for one years rent, can you imagine. We counter sued them for the lost summer rent. They were so untogether they never followed their claim against us so it fell away. Our counter claim continued and we were awarded it in court plus all our legal costa plus interest. We employed Clarion solicitors in Leeds, absolutely brilliant. DO NOT ACCEPT THE UNACCEPTABLE> STUDENTS HAVE RIGHTS LIKE ANYONE ELSE.
Original post by Upchurch
Avtar are absolutely shocking. I have never in my life come across such appalling service.

We were forced to live with mice and damp, and the property was filthy with broken furniture when we moved in. On reporting it, we were completely ignored. When I went in to discuss the mice, I was screamed at by the owner/son of the owner. He is aggressive and vile. The other staff, particularly the women, are snotty and ignorant, they have no time for any complaints and spend their time trying to belittle you as soon as you have a problem.

They repeatedly let themselves into my house for viewings with no warning, to the point where it would be 9am and they would walk into my room while I was asleep, with a group of people in tow. When I got wise to it after this happening twice in one week, I started leaving a turned key in the front door so that I would have to answer and let them in. They on one occasion, physically pushed me out of the way to get in, and on other occasions, such as the time when they had arrived with no warning and expected to be let in, when it just wasn't a good time, shouted in my face before calling me offensive names in front of the potential tenants and stalked off.

As of now they are trying to withhold my deposit from me because one of my flatmates damaged a smoke alarm. It has been widely acknowledged that none of the rest of us had anything to do with it. They have lied through their teeth about our deposit, claiming that it has to be released in one go, when I rang the DPS directly and found that this is a complete lie and that they have no grounds to hold my money, only the flatmate who damaged the smoke alarm's deposit can be held. Their email correspondence has been aggressive, and unprofessional with frankly absolutely appalling spelling and grammar - it sounds like a 5 year old is writing some of them.

I am seriously debating taking them to court. Do not use them.

Lea x
currantally in court with my landlord mr mike wisneski 10burrchett place has a web site student- propertys but he has other propertys warning stay away changed the locks with out giveing notice and dumped all my stuff
Reply 24
I was with RNL [Residence North Leeds] properties [previously Bevan & Co] even though we signed with Haus [they were just advertising the house].

They were rubbish. They were ok at maintainance, but the house was horrendous when we moved it. They sent cleaners in after we moved in, who did a piss poor job [not a deep clean at all - I could have done it better].
They had awful communication, the house was really shabby and they blamed us for it not letting [even though one of the reps from RNL told us she agreed with us and it was the house not us that was stopping it from being let].
However, they totally messed up our contracts and ended up taking money from someone who never lived there and no deposit from someone who had. They overcharged the rent for the whole year and never told me - but took deposit charges out of this.
In addition to RIDICULOUS cleaning charges [Close to £450] they charged us for mould on the bathroom ceilings and for light fittings that were never fixed throughout the entirety of our tenancy. They have been non communicative since we moved out and generally they've been horrendous.

I would NEVER recommend RNL or Bevan & Co properties.
Reply 25
I'm in second year and I'm with Oasis Properties. I'd say avoid! They're ridiculously slow at any kind of maintenance and just don't bother with some of it. It took them 3 months to sort out things from when we first raised the problems to them and they haven't bothered with some of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I recommend Jagtar properties, that is proberly best I have ever been to.
I would definitely recomend Jagtar Properties, best houses ever and if there is a problem all you need to do is ring them and they will sort it out the same day or the day after. If I could I would stay there again :smile: .
I was very happy with my stay and the rent was quite cheap:smile:
Anyone know anything about Kathy Reddington or Terry McFeely as landlords? Both highly rated on Unipol.
DO NOT USE LANDMARK LETTINGS ON HYDE PARK CORNER! There's a reason why they have only amassed 22 likes on Facebook in the last few years of their online presence.

My house was not ready to be moved into as the place was FILTHY and crawling with mould, even inside the fridge. I demanded to be refunded a week's rent as it just wasn't on and they agreed but took 6 months to pay up. We had several issues with mould just being covered up in bedrooms and I became severely ill as a result, which affected my studies. There were slats coming loose in the bathroom which meant that the kitchen ceiling was slowly caving in. The boiler was temperamental throughout the whole year and we were told by the repairman that it should have been replaced 10 YEARS AGO. So we were freezing and without hot showers for months.

Any and every problem took severe nagging to get sorted, and it's not like they had that many properties in their portfolio at the time to take care of! I marched down to the office on many occasions as they would not reply via phone call, text or email, to find that their lunch hour is seemingly eternal (3 hours to shut up shop for lunch...really?!)

They also failed to mention multiple viewings, claiming that another company (Castle Properties) were the ones handling that side of things. I came home many a time to find unattended male visitors wandering around the house and a dress of mine went missing...go figure. The only time Landmark WAS on the ball was chasing us up for months both during and after our tenancy, claiming that we hadn't paid them enough rent when we had always had them on standing order.

So moral of the story is- Landmark Lettings needs to be shut down.
(edited 9 years ago)
I could not agree MORE with Frenspan above this guy needs closing down before he kills someone with his total lack of care and understanding of the basic requirments needed with relation to health and safety.
My son has become very ill since signing for a dangerous property with this sham landlord who works at the rear of avatar, where he rents a small office.
This disaster started two months ago when we had to pay up before receiving the keys to the property.After waiting with five students belonging in the main road for two hours the landlord finally arrived to complete the paperwork. After obtaining the keys we took the short drive and got to the properly to find the gutters to the front elevation hanging off and the outside in very poor condition but once inside i could not believe my eyes,the outgoing tenants had fires in the oven that was hanging out of the units,the units were taped up to stop the rats entering the property from the rear,but we have since found that they have found alternative entry point and are living in the rear of the fridge thus the reason it has never worked as they have chewed all the wiring. The whole house is absolutely filthy and uninhabitable.There is only one light bulb in the whole house and the electric switches are hanging of the wall and dangerous,none of the furniture is any good as every bed has rats piss on or is very stained and the bases are broken every piece of furniture is utter rubbish in addition there are tiles of the wall in the bathrooms and the toilets are broken and filthy in one room you cannot use the sink taps as they are not fixed to the basin and revolve THIS HOUSE IS NOT FIT FOR HUMAN HABITATION the afore mentioned problems are just a few of the problems, after a brief consultation with the three students precent they decided the try and work with the land lord as they had just over two months before there courses started,so within half an hour i was back in the office with all the pictures and evidence of the condition of the property,at this point the landlord promised to rectify all the problems but after many emails and conversations two months later he has only fitted some new units and cooker on the old rat infested floor and the property cannot be lived in.I have taken the three hour drive to inspect the property only to find that the landlord has provided a female student with wilko rat poison to sprinkle in the kitchen area and you have guessed it the rats have got into her bedroom and **** everywhere i have all the photos but will not upload them until the environmental team have there case underway. Since phoning avatar who think this landlord has nothing to do with them dispite taking a £500 finders fee and the landlord £5000 inclusive of £500 deposit for the first quarter rent we have gained nothing and the rats are starting to chew the belongings that the students are storing in the front room.Please remember NONE of the five students are able to live in this property since signing! Watch this space.
Reply 31
Original post by stellartuesday
I've recently been searching for my 3rd year house and have been trying to find reviews on some Leeds landlords but it seems theres not much about so I thought i'd start a bit of a review of good landlords and the ones to avoid.

We're with ACADEMY PROPERTIES at the moment and despite being Unipol approved are awful! I'd stay away. The owners daughter shows potential tenants round and is (and still is) lovely but the real landlord Bill is a nightmare. He turns up unannounced, checks our house over holidays when we're all away without prior consent, he took pictures of our house (which is relatively tidy compared to some!!) complaining its dirty and sent them to our parents :confused:. He has also recently managed to find us liable for the rent of a spare room in our house and is holding on to our deposits for payment of it.
He seems to cause an arguement with us every single time he visits! Stay well away.

I've never been with them but MY HOMEZ is the new PROVIDENCE PROPERTIES who were named and shamed for being dodgy. I'd advise anyone to be careful and not pay them a deposit.

Add your stories of good and bad landlords, especially has anyone been with AVTAR?

Oh my god! This is horrendous and as far as I'm aware illegal or at the least a MASSIVE breach of your tenancy! Landlords are supposed to give 24 hours written notice if they intend on visiting??? And should never visit without consent!! Surely this could be classed as trespassing? If I were you I'd visit CAB or call Civil Legal Advice (CLA) for some free legal advice on this!!!!

Can't help with suggesting any landlords as I'm just looking for my first year myself! But thanks for setting up the thread and good luck in hunting!! :smile:
I would say avoid oasis-a girl I lived with had her mother from Abu Dhabi living with us in an empty room rent free for four months because nobody ever came despite fact we all constantly moaned central heating was not working.
On central,also one to avoid.that penny woman rings you the same day rent is due if it doesn't go through.they are slow when you ask them to do anything but when it's a request on their side,they're damn downrightIintrusive.
It's all a bloody nightmare. Talk to your folks about a guarantor mortage. Tell them it's an investment for them and will save you lots of money and misery
Reply 33
NEVER GO FOR AVATAR!!! I just left their flat few days ago was staying there for a year!! It's unbelievable it's vile disgusting place to live and top of that the staff are birches and never pick the call. They only ring you when it's time to pay the rent what the heck!

Before I moved there and it's was so clean until I moved there omg everything was scatter messy dirty mice poo spider dusty. They don't cleaning before anyone move ther. They just pig n taking the money never care about us. I was got police involve because one of their builder have been rob my thing and break the things in the flats funnily things that they actually took my deposit when they know it's wasn't my fault. Greedy bitch I was live in hanover square!!!!
Woah this is an old thread that you've dug up Yasming! I just got a notification. I've got all grown up and married since I posted this *sniff sniff*

We did actually go for Avtar and I can second that they were terrible! Intrustive and borderline abusive to my parents who were guarantors. They got it into their heads that we had someone else living with us and did random unannounced checks of the house for months. We also had rats in the kitchen. Now I look back, it's disgusting how some letting agents treat students.

It's sad to hear that they're still untrustworthy.
Reply 35
Hey everyone, I was with TRUST PROPERTIES in Headingley, Leeds and they were great! Definitely recommend them as the house was clean and reasonably priced and had no problems. landlord was so helpful
Reply 36
Has anyone had a bad experience at halls in Leeds where they have charged you for items that you know wern't broken or damaged? We had an experience at Leodis where they charged me for a 'soiled matteress' £108.00 and didn't inform me neither did finance know what it was related to neither did the bank. I have proof with pictures of my room when i left it and it was checked after hours by security and witness of friends and parents. I beleive they are charging students as they know students are generally occupied or too lazy to challenge it. Well I am and have taken this up with my bank and the principal's office as its fraud and ripping off innocent people. My room was checked in June and on the day I left and i know I was very clean throughout my time there and they have picked on the wrong person to gain money to fund their business. They are very rude and unprofessional as well. Let me know if you have also experienced this and I can help you.....
Please be aware
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
We had a similar experience and if you search on the social media , the rip students off regularly and charge horrendous for apparent cleaning with out providing evidence , there was mould around the bath before we signed and mould when we lefts (due to poor ventilation) then they charges us to clean it . On there photo evidence it was still there after a 5 hour clean . ( incidentally before my son left my wife cleaned the house for over 4 hours - DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH A BARGE POLL - RIPP OFF MERCHANTS.

Latest