The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
English :]
It'll be good because I haven't seen Exeter yet. I hope I love it considering they gave me an offer.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
yeah! im going for the english and french open day. i love exeter! its probably my first choice.

xxx
I'll be there, working in Amory building and helping out, for those of you doing Philosophy, History, Geography, Law, Sociology and Classics!
Reply 4
I'll be there working in Harrison for those of you doing Maths or Engineering =]
Reply 5
I'm going for English...and right now sincerely hoping the trains are working okay...
:excited: but it's going to be a really long day - I have to leave home at some ridiculously early time when it's still going to be dark :frown:
Ahh thanks to everyone who helped out at today's open day I loved it ! I was the only one at the IAIS - lucky me, got all the information I could ever want. I'm sooooo excited now !
scarlettroxane
Ahh thanks to everyone who helped out at today's open day I loved it ! I was the only one at the IAIS - lucky me, got all the information I could ever want. I'm sooooo excited now !

Did you come to the HUSS talk in Queens building?
No, I was planning to but we had a flat tyre and arrived too late for it - just went straight to the IAIS for 12. Wish I could have though !
Reply 9
I was there today for English. I only just got home! ack I'm so tired!
I loved it there, wasn't sure before I went there but now I KNOW Exeter is for me :smile:
Beautiful campus!
Reply 11
I quite liked it but I wish I had seen it before I got rejected from my top 2 choices :frown:
Because I originally put Exeter 3rd, I didn't really expect to go there and it was sort of a 'I'll put a good uni down anyway' choice because I really hoped I wouldn't get rejected from my top 2. I really wanted to go to the open day and fall in love with it because I really don't have anywhere else to go and it would have made me feel a bit better about everything, but it didn't happen - and now I'm all confused about what to do and whether to take a gap year and reapply to other places next year or just go to Exeter anyway and see what happens :s-smilie:
sadie-kiki
I quite liked it but I wish I had seen it before I got rejected from my top 2 choices :frown:
Because I originally put Exeter 3rd, I didn't really expect to go there and it was sort of a 'I'll put a good uni down anyway' choice because I really hoped I wouldn't get rejected from my top 2. I really wanted to go to the open day and fall in love with it because I really don't have anywhere else to go and it would have made me feel a bit better about everything, but it didn't happen - and now I'm all confused about what to do and whether to take a gap year and reapply to other places next year or just go to Exeter anyway and see what happens :s-smilie:

I'm a parent of an English offer holder and I was there too.......

I actually didn't think that the English department did a particularly good job of selling themselves - it's obviously an excellent department in a fantastic university, and the students I talked to seemed very happy and enthusiastic, but for some reason that wasn't coming across from the tutors. Not sure why. My feeling is that English at Exeter is much better that it appeared to be on Wednesday.

Maybe another visit later in the year would help you make up your mind?
Reply 13
Jantaculum
I'm a parent of an English offer holder and I was there too.......

I actually didn't think that the English department did a particularly good job of selling themselves - it's obviously an excellent department in a fantastic university, and the students I talked to seemed very happy and enthusiastic, but for some reason that wasn't coming across from the tutors. Not sure why. My feeling is that English at Exeter is much better that it appeared to be on Wednesday.

Maybe another visit later in the year would help you make up your mind?

I was thinking I might visit again some time to see if I like it better - I really enjoyed the sample lecture and the seminars and things and the course looks absolutely fantastic - the modules are to die for! The welcome talk was a bit menacing though, which put me off a bit. I want to visit it with my parents or a friend that might be going - I went by myself because my parents were both away working last week and my friend got snowed in, so that might be why I felt a bit awkward and didn't really enjoy the day :redface:

I didn't get the homely feeling there that I did from the other places - I didn't really feel comfortable the whole day I was there, which is why I'm considering taking a gap year and trying again. I really don't know. I've put it as my firm choice anyway - I'll see what happens.
Reply 14
yoyo462001
wow sadie thats exactly the same situation as me, i got reject from my top 2 and got into exeter, i was kind of telling myself all along that if i didnt get into Warwick i would take gap year and reapply, but exexter is looking very tempting and its a very high ranked uni too so yeah its a bit confusing right now.

I really really wanted Warwick too!
I also really liked Cambridge - I applied, had an interview and then got put in the winter pool - so it's like they think I'm good enough for a place but they didn't have enough space, which is why I'm considering possibly trying again.
I was really angry about not even getting an interview at Warwick. :mad: I loved it there and my teacher said she didn't understand it at all, especially after their feedback email which basically said they looked for all the things (strong academic record, good ps, strong reference etc) my teacher said I have. hmph. stupid Warwick.
sadie-kiki
I really really wanted Warwick too!
I also really liked Cambridge - I applied, had an interview and then got put in the winter pool - so it's like they think I'm good enough for a place but they didn't have enough space, which is why I'm considering possibly trying again.
I was really angry about not even getting an interview at Warwick. :mad: I loved it there and my teacher said she didn't understand it at all, especially after their feedback email which basically said they looked for all the things (strong academic record, good ps, strong reference etc) my teacher said I have. hmph. stupid Warwick.

I got winter pooled for Cambridge too - initially I considered taking a gap year and trying again, but then I remembered, hey I love exeter and decided to take the offer.... I guess my decision was made much easier because I have been to exeter uni on countless occasions and know the city very well. Hope things turn out alright for you, good luck !
Reply 16
Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the English open day as I couldn't get to the train station due to the snow!

I haven't seen Exeter yet, but I'm likely to put it as my firm and really wanted to see it before I did so. What do you guys reckon I should do? - are they planning on holding on any more open days does anyone know? Just really wanted to see the dept and accomodation...

Cheers
Reply 17
What was the sample seminar like? Did you actually join in, or was it watching a group of current uni students doing it or something?

Cheers
Reply 18
GoldHill
What was the sample seminar like? Did you actually join in, or was it watching a group of current uni students doing it or something?

Cheers

no we joined in!
Ours was with a guy who teaches film and literature, and we had a really interesting discussion about book->film adaptations :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending