The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i did 9 gcses and ive got a really nice offer off cambridge.

PS. if you are doing anything science related - further maths is a nice on to have
Reply 2
No, just concentrate on doing as well as possible in those you are taking.
Reply 3
i read somewhere that someguy got into oxford for law BBCCC but with excellent A Levels
Well, I jolly well hope not. I only have 9. :sigh:
It should be fine though.
Reply 5
My school only offered 8.5 GCSEs, I did 1.5 in my own time using schemes offered by the schools in my area.

If there is an option to do triple science in your school, why can't you take it?
If there is none, then I don't think it will effect you, as long as you do well in it. Most people from my school only got 8.5 and many of them went on to do science at the best sixth forms. I'm sure they're doing well now too except that I lost contact. We didn't have an option for triple science.
Reply 6
Iam bad at physics but good at the other two. I may take gcse persain iam not sure. 5 replies in 1 minute bloody hell lol
Reply 7
eulerwaswrong
i did 9 gcses and ive got a really nice offer off cambridge.

PS. if you are doing anything science related - further maths is a nice on to have
school won't let me take it
goats
school won't let me take it

why?

you could always self teach or something. Saying that its not that important - but its always a nice one to have i think
Reply 9
eulerwaswrong
why?

you could always self teach or something. Saying that its not that important - but its always a nice one to have i think

cos I got a c in a end of year exam 2 years ago
I was only allowed to do 9 GCSEs and double, rather than triple, science, yet got into Cambridge for bio natsci. I think it's your choice of and performance in A-levels that is more important, assuming you've done the required GCSEs and have sufficient A*s or whatever they ask for. So no, it shouldn't be a disadvantage at all.
Reply 11
cheers for all ur replies keep em COMING :biggrin:
Most of my school does 9. Double science, and around 20-40 get a cambridge offer every year...
I only have seven.
Reply 14
there is more chance of satan rising than of you getting in with 9 gcses.
skagitup
there is more chance of satan rising than of you getting in with 9 gcses.

I'm going to assume that you are being sarcastic. Either that or you are blind and didn't read the post directly before yours.
Reply 16
Craghyrax
I'm going to assume that you are being sarcastic. Either that or you are blind and didn't read the post directly before yours.

go with the sarcasm.
I only have 8 GCSEs, and one of those was an after school thing.

I have 2 GNVQs too though, which in "theory" is another 8 GCSEs worth, but I don't know if they even glanced at them.

I only have one science GCSE. :| Double Science should be fine though, and if you get good AS grades in your subjects you should be fine.
Reply 18
You won't be at a disadvantage at all. Maybe half of the people at my school only do 9, and we get 40-50 people (about 35% of each year group) into oxbridge. Most of the offer holders in my year did 9-10, although I did 11. If anything I'd say it's better to do 9 and get A* across the board than it is to get say 8 A* 2 B and 1 C.
I heard they want 12, but if you have only 9 they must be all A*'s... :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending