The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes.

I wish I could afford to travel, though. I know someone who is saving to spend several months in New Zealand, and several months in Japan. Lucky sod.
Reply 2
I travelled a bit last year and have been looking for a job for the last few weeks but can find absolutely nothing.
I'm going to try! :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, but I'm finding it impossible to get a job, probably because I no experience. Everywhere I apply, they don't even bother getting back to me.
Swayum
Yeah, but I'm finding it impossible to get a job, probably because I no experience. Everywhere I apply, they don't even bother getting back to me.

same. that's what i worry about. even high street retail stores won't have me cause I look like a prepubescent kid and i have no work experience.
Reply 6
supernovastarfish
even high street retail stores won't have me

EVEN? That's like a dream job for me right now.
Reply 7
Yeah, I'm looking for a job now and it's been pretty darn hard. I hope to do some volunteering too. At the moment all I seem to be doing is job hunting and tutoring my friends.
Reply 8
I found most of them just aren't employing, experience or no experience. All I can do is keep carpet-bombing everywhere. I'd take a job in a supermarket right now I'm so desperate but not even my local ones are employing, despite their turnover!
i'm working atm. if i have the money then i'll travel in the summer

if not i'll just travel between years at uni. scholarship money will easily cover it
Well, seeing as I'm now being forced into taking a year off guess I have to get a job. Blah, so much for taking a year off to recover from illness.
Reply 11
Well, I work for Starbucks, and I did a lot of travelling when I got out of high school so I'm thinking of transferring out to London or somewhere for a few months, for a change. I'm not a fan of London town really, but I'm thinking that it'll be amazing to steep myself in culture for a while, you don't really have the chance in a town like mine.
:sad: I did have a job... but theyve "let me go due to poor trade" :sad:
Swayum
EVEN? That's like a dream job for me right now.

...i used to work in retail back in hk. it was better than mcDs etc..but it's not like i can reference people in another country!
I hv to gt a job in september im bankin on it. Damn economic mess :frown: i really wana work in holfords bt evn they are sackin people ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Reply 15
Have to get a job in July to pay for gap year travel plans.
Reply 16
For those of you who are having trouble getting jobs because of lack of experience, why don't you try volunteering? Ok, it obviously won't be paid but bam, instant experience. If you work in a charity shop for example, you'll be gaining experience in customer service, cash handling, stock movement, team work etc etc. It would be flexible too.
Reply 17
Thats what I'm doing right now. I started with a weeks work experience with my local paper.. and just refused to leave :biggrin:. Been a bloody amazing year.. sure its not trecking across the mountains of peru on a llama named steve, but its valuable experience employers/unis love and its a break from 'schooling'.
Ya, I'm working part time now and learning Japanese and doing numerous other stuff too, i nthe summer I shall be travelling!
It's been great so far, as I started off the year with a visit to Japan :smile: (that's what made me want to learn it)
Williams66
Thats what I'm doing right now. I started with a weeks work experience with my local paper.. and just refused to leave :biggrin:. Been a bloody amazing year.. sure its not trecking across the mountains of peru on a llama named steve, but its valuable experience employers/unis love and its a break from 'schooling'.

oooh nice idea...what else did you do?

Latest