The Student Room Group

Under 18 - O2 Contract

How does contract with o2 work exactly? Im under 18 atm (17) and If I want to get out a contract, it obviously has to go under the name of the parents correct?

Can i then put in MY debit card details and have it taken from that account monthly? Also, Do the parents also have to put in their credit details if I were to fail to pay (which is what my parents are worried about happening)?

Regards in advance.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

A few suggestions out there that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/
are more likely than others to give you a mobile phone contract if you've been declined elsewhere.

Make sure you register to vote (if you're over 18) before you apply. Massively helps your credit rating.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ur parents first pay monthly, then when you are 18, put the phone under your name, after that your parent will have nothing to do with the contract even if you cant pay the monthly bills, because the phone is not under their name anymore.

regards
Sorry lol still confused. Can I put it under a debit (my account) for money to be taken out via direct debit monthly but just having the actual contract signed under their name
Reply 3
AlexanderKing
Sorry lol still confused. Can I put it under a debit (my account) for money to be taken out via direct debit monthly but just having the actual contract signed under their name

You have to initially put their account (credit/debit card) then you can change it.

:clip:
ah ok, But i can change it after when? Or does it have to be taken out under their name, and then when the contract has been signed, i can then switch it over to my debit account? even If the details are different (it will be their name but with my name on the debit account)
Reply 5
so basically you want the phone on their name, but you want your the network to take the money from your bank not from your parents?

if thats what your asking, im not sure if that works, but you will never know if you dont ask the network itself, i think theyll say why dont you just put the phone down on your name.
paperclip
You have to initially put their account (credit/debit card) then you can change it.

Really? My contract is in my mums name, but its my bank account the money comes out of!
Reply 7
ok then it can work. but how did the network accept to do that??? what if there is a problem, in paying the bills what happens??
So what network can I Do this on? Im so lost lol!
paperclip

nope. I set up a contract with 02 last january (when I was 17) under my parent's name with the account being paid from my bank account.
I bought my phone at an O2 store - and thats when we asked about the whole contract/payment thing and they said that that would be fine. I don't know what would happen if there was a problem paying the bills? I guess they use my mums name on the contract as more of a guarentee? Thankfully there has never been a problem with paying my bills!

(My contracts with 02)
ah, so I guess I should call O2 customer service...
AlexanderKing
ah, so I guess I should call O2 customer service...

well unless they've changed since last year, you should be fine.
I did it online (but checked it was ok in an O2 shop beforehand), just used my fathers name, DOB etc, but put in my bank account to pay it from. Then when I turned 18, I phoned O2, and asked them to change to account so it would be in my name. No problem.
Reply 13
I sell phone contracts, and it's fine. You can set it up out of your bank account, and unless you cancel the direct debit/the bank refuses to pay because there's no money in it, they won't ask your parents to pay anything. In that case, they'll then be contacted by the network who'll ask for the bill to be paid. Assuming you'd pay it, nothing else would happen. If not, and if your parents didn't want to pay it, the network will 'pursue' the customer for the payment as well as giving them a poor credit score. Being pursued can include having bailiffs sent to the address the phone is registered in.

Also, before you're 18 you can still have third party access so you can talk to cust services about the account/make changes/etc.
Reply 14
The first thing o2 do when you request a contract is run a credit check against you. If you're under 18, I'd imagine you would almost certainly fail it. Therefore,the only way is to put it in a parent's name and on their card. In fact, I think o2 have a policy of not giving contracts to under 18s anyway, so again, it would have to not be in your name.
Reply 15
Dionysus
The first thing o2 do when you request a contract is run a credit check against you. If you're under 18, you would almost certainly fail it. Therefore,the only way is to put it in a parent's name and on their card.

You can't fail it because the credit check can't be processed. The computer systems normally just won't let you put the DOB in if it means the customer is under 18. To allow someone to get into debt when they're under 18 is illegal and therefore the networks will not allow any risk of it happening (sometimes when some networks' systems go down, they'll automatically pass everyone... imagine the scandal/legal implications if you could actually credit check people who are under 18 and therefore sell them a phone!)

However, it doesn't have to be on their card.
Reply 16
My contract is in my mum's name, but the bills come out of my bank account. I'm with 02.
Reply 17
Vykeera
You can't fail it because the credit check can't be processed. The computer systems normally just won't let you put the DOB in if it means the customer is under 18. To allow someone to get into debt when they're under 18 is illegal and therefore the networks will not allow any risk of it happening (sometimes when some networks' systems go down, they'll automatically pass everyone... imagine the scandal/legal implications if you could actually credit check people who are under 18 and therefore sell them a phone!)

However, it doesn't have to be on their card.

I see. Well that explains that. I thought that was probably the case, as it would be rather dodgy to be lending to under 18s as you say.
Reply 18
probably, ask at the shop.I have phone insurance in my name and paid through my dads direct debit.
Reply 19
I was looking to do the same, but my mum has bad credit
will it still work, because there taking money out of MY account not hers?
I get weekly payments of EMA so they should allow me get it??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending