The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by girlwithsharpteeth

Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Strange, perhaps it is then but that's not what I was told :s-smilie:

It's perfectly possible they've changed things for this year, but that's the way it was last time.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by jjo92
ikr?! :biggrin:

meh, I'll survive. I mean, worst comes to worst, there's always bread and jam, or canned tuna XD

I'm from Singapore :smile:

Weyheyyyy... I'm from your neighbour!! Malaysia~~ lol
How long after do the University contact about accommodation after receiving results (18th Aug), Because I go to V festival on the 19th-21st I think? Then go to Leeds festival on the 23rd, I'm just a bit worried something will happen which will need me to be at home to sort it out?
Original post by trouble-trouble
W.3.08.061
yes it was my first choice, but I will be in my second year of uni already
when I was applying last year, I didnt get any of my 3 choices

Hey, just wondering if you could tell me what happens if you don't get your three choices? Do they contact you with a list of what's left or?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by gummers
How long after do the University contact about accommodation after receiving results (18th Aug), Because I go to V festival on the 19th-21st I think? Then go to Leeds festival on the 23rd, I'm just a bit worried something will happen which will need me to be at home to sort it out?

usually within a week, definitely before September 1st

you will have to pay £200 deposit within a week when you receive an offer of accommodation, so at least delegate this to your parents/friends if you do go away :smile:

you will have to pay £200 deposit within a week when you receive an offer of accommodation, so at least delegate this to your parents/friends if you do go away :smile:

Ahh thank you! Guess I could be cutting things close then. I'll just leave my mum some money with all the documents etc. then she can sort it out for me :colondollar:
Reply 1586

Is the pre-payment done online as well, as I'll on on holiday until like the start of September?
Original post by gummers
Hey, just wondering if you could tell me what happens if you don't get your three choices? Do they contact you with a list of what's left or?

Nope, they just allocate you something else and you can either accept it or find elsewhere. If you're lucky you might actually get through to the accommodation office to try to change it, or find someone to swap with, but chances are you'll just be stuck with what you're given.
Original post by dknt
Is the pre-payment done online as well, as I'll on on holiday until like the start of September?

yes, everything is done online, so basically you just need your credit card and internet connection :smile:
Reply 1589
yes, everything is done online, so basically you just need your credit card and internet connection :smile:

Brilliant, thanks alot! ^^
Original post by gummers

no you just get an offer like usual, you may not accept it if you want, but then you're left without any accommodation.
don't worry, they will allocate you somewhere nice :smile:
what were your choices?
Reply 1591
Original post by JakeyTheSnake
Hey guys,

Applied for:

Ashburne no basin
Asburne with basin
Dalton Ellis no basin

Received: Dalton Ellis basin >_<

I was really hoping for Ashburne; it looks lovely, but never mind eh. Guess it was always going to be a long shot with only a small wing for guys there.

I've read a couple of people saying Dalton Ellis is full of rahs, and a couple saying this isn't true. I hope it's not, but I guess I'll find out regardless.

I'm in the Fiddes block on the ground floor, anyone else here with me?

dalton ellis is lovely and i know lots of lovely people that lived there! i wouldnt worry!
Reply 1592
no you just get an offer like usual, you may not accept it if you want, but then you're left without any accommodation.
what were your choices?

hiya mary long time no talk :wink:
Original post by rogan
hiya mary long time no talk :wink:

omg hiii haha :biggrin: hope you're doing fine :biggrin:

wait, did we meet each other on TSR? xD
Reply 1594
omg hiii haha :biggrin: hope you're doing fine :biggrin:

wait, did we meet each other on TSR? xD

i'd think so! a whole year ago!
Reply 1595
Original post by anniesuzie1990
Weyheyyyy... I'm from your neighbour!! Malaysia~~ lol

HI!

There are quite a number of Singaporeans/Malaysians at Manchester, I heard!

What are you gonna be studying? :smile:

there is no guarantee that you will get any of your choices, they warn about that. I know many people who didnt get any of their choices.

Tell me about it! I didn't get any of my choices either! And I ended up with some freaks in OP :tongue:

That said, the university guarantees accommodation to 1st years who apply before 1st September, and all international students without families. They're just kind like that :smile:
I've got to say, I'm yet to meet someone who did get any of their choices, let alone their first. However, it's mainly simple things like wanting a basin and not getting one.
Reply 1598
Original post by Aemiliana
I've got to say, I'm yet to meet someone who did get any of their choices, let alone their first. However, it's mainly simple things like wanting a basin and not getting one.

I got my first for this year. I really thought I'd get my last choice seeing how unlucky I am :smile:.
what were your choices?

I picked Lambert, Fairfield and Grosvenor St Building :smile:
I've heard it's hard to get into L&F too :eek:
To be honest, I think I'd be happy with anything as long as it's close to my lecture rooms.

Latest

Trending

Trending