The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000

Cheers for that, it's just I'd heard about stuff getting stolen from uni launderettes (though not specificially at UEA)

Well I believe there is CCTV in the launderette, and it only lasts half an hour for a wash, so if you're that concerned you could easily bring a book/mp3 and wait it out :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Well I believe there is CCTV in the launderette, and it only lasts half an hour for a wash, so if you're that concerned you could easily bring a book/mp3 and wait it out :smile:

im hoping i wont need to worry
Reply 1382
I always wait with my washing, mostly because I'm too lazy to walk back to my flat! There's always people in the laundrette with text books/reading the paper etc.
Reply 1383

I don't think you can actually stop the washes half way anyway, but as people have said you should be pretty safe what with CCTV and UEA being such a nice place :smile: The time passes quickly with a book too.

One of the on campus ones is 24 hour as well so you can go in the middle of the night if you fancy it.

Also as a note for anyone it is relevant to, Mary Chapman court has space for washing machines (most people hire them) so people don't have to drag their clothes through the city centre lol.
im hoping i wont need to worry

As has been said you shouldn't need to worry about stuff going missing. Our office is right next door to the launderette and we don't hear of anything getting stolen.

I second the fact that it is very annoying when the machines are all full when you want to use them and the clothes owners are nowhere to be found to empty them. If you are not going to wait setting an alarm (like someone else mentioned) sounds like a very good idea to me!
I was just wandering how big the freezers are?

I'm a crazy fussy eater so my dad was going to make me a whole bunch stuff that I can take to Uni with me and freeze (wow, I sound so silly...!) but if the freezers are small, and obviously shared between a few people, it might be a little pointless.
Original post by ellie-wellie

I'm a crazy fussy eater so my dad was going to make me a whole bunch stuff that I can take to Uni with me and freeze (wow, I sound so silly...!) but if the freezers are small, and obviously shared between a few people, it might be a little pointless.

Errrm at a guess I'd say that the space for one person would be equal to about 6 loaves of bread maybe? (By that I mean presliced kingsmill/hovis sized loaves) Possibly slightly less. Although I don't quite see how being a fussy eater means you can't just make the food yourself once you're here? :confused:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Errrm at a guess I'd say that the space for one person would be equal to about 6 loaves of bread maybe? (By that I mean presliced kingsmill/hovis sized loaves) Possibly slightly less. Although I don't quite see how being a fussy eater means you can't just make the food yourself once you're here? :confused:

Haha, yea I know but not only am I fussy, I am lazy and it's a complicated recipe which you have to simmer basically all day. I mean, obviously I would make it when I've settled in a bit, but I think it's good to have something easy when I first arrive.
Reply 1388

In my flat there are 12 people, with 6 freezer shelves so half a drawer each. But good tip, try and get your half in one of the top 2 drawers because the drawer at the bottom is smaller! And if you just take stuff out of packaging and wrap up in clingfilm or foil you can get loads in. Me and another girl can fit in a couple of ready meals, enough meat for a couple of weeks, chips, frozen veg, big bag of broccoli, frozen pudding, basically loads! If your dad is going to put stuff in boxes to freeze, you might struggle but see how it goes.

Haha, yea I know but not only am I fussy, I am lazy and it's a complicated recipe which you have to simmer basically all day. I mean, obviously I would make it when I've settled in a bit, but I think it's good to have something easy when I first arrive.

Oh yeah, mine is in the village where it's 8 people to 6 freezer shelves (and there are 2 bigger ones shared by 4 in total) whereas I have a shelf to myself. If your parents don't take you out for a food shop to stock up on everything then I imagine you could fit in meals for a week or something :dontknow:

You might as well bring some stuff, and if it doesn't fit your parents can just take it back with them.....
Reply 1390

One of my flatmates does this, her dad brings her food every three weeks or so. Though out of the 10 of us, 4 of us hardly use the freezer so I guess there's more room in there than there would be normally :s-smilie:
Reply 1391
It's officially past "mid-May". I want to apply for accommodation NOW! So what if my application will only sit in some database for 3 months before it matters. That's not the point. I just want to move forward with SOMETHING. I've waited a whole year (gap year and all) for this, dammit.

Put it up already!!!!.... Please?

Refreshing the application page is driving me insane, I tell you. I'm losing it! Hehe :argh: :argh:
Original post by zae2yaya
It's officially past "mid-May". I want to apply for accommodation NOW! So what if my application will only sit in some database for 3 months before it matters. That's not the point. I just want to move forward with SOMETHING. I've waited a whole year (gap year and all) for this, dammit.

Put it up already!!!!.... Please?

Refreshing the application page is driving me insane, I tell you. I'm losing it! Hehe :argh: :argh:

It says late May on the website now if you've read it. But I sympathise, I'm on a gap year as well, I don't have exams to worry about so accomodation is my main focus uni wise.
Reply 1393

Depends where you are. I'm in Britten House (campus ensuite) and we have 6 drawers between 12 of us. Gets very annoying when peole insist on putting things like whole loaves of bread :nothing: You can squeeze a fair bit in if you do things like take meat etc out of the pack and put them in freezer bags, saves a lot of space! I also put things like portions of bolognaise in freezer bags, just a lot less bulky than boxes. You'll probably find some people use the freezer less than others, we just have some fairly selfish people in our flat who take up multiple drawers..
does anyone know how they allocate accommodation if it's not first come first served? thanks
Original post by goofy-blues
does anyone know how they allocate accommodation if it's not first come first served? thanks

It's not first come first served because the application form you will fill out is not the "trigger" (as such) for us to allocate your rooms. All most students are doing at this point is basically filling in a preference of what room you would like IF you make it to UEA.

We don't allocate any rooms until you are a fully confirmed student at the UEA, which for most undergraduates is after A-level results day. It is you confirming that you are coming to UEA that makes us allocate you a room not the date you filled the application form in. To be honest the day you fill out the form is fairly irrelevant as long it is before you get your results!

For students that already have their results (such as those of you on gap years) we may (and I mean may, not will) allocate you ahead of the A-level reults day so that we have less to do after the results come out. Don't worry about this group taking all the "best*" accommodation though. At best this group is around 200 students and we have 3500 rooms! We tend to use them as guinea pigs to make sure that our systems are working properly for the main batch in late August!

We also take into account other factors such as medical issues you may have that could affect what type of room you need, the male/female split on a floor or flat and what courses you are doing so that the mix is good.

* also NO ONE can agree what the "best" accommodation is. I assure you you could ask 20 different people and they will almost all say that their flat is best! What it boils down to is the people you live with and how you all get on rather than the type of room you get. Even if you don't get the exact room you wanted you will be suprised how quickly this is not an issue after you get here!

Hope this answers your question!
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok. It's late may now...pleeeeease can we apply?
Original post by dreamofaninsomniac

LOOOL! :biggrin:

I still get scared thinking about applying. I feel like I'm going to jinx it and end up not getting in! :rolleyes::cool:
It's all going to be fine :tongue: I changed my accommodation app something like a week before results day and it had no affect on my room placement - so while it's not the best idea to wait too long, it really doesn't matter if you're there the day it opens!
Original post by dreamofaninsomniac

If they wait any longer it will be June by the time we apply, especially considering Monday is a bank holiday so applications aren't going to open then.

Latest

Trending

Trending