The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
someone just stared at the interviewers boobs....she didnt like it and he got rejected straight away
Reply 41
sarahleslie1
* subscribes * - so funny :smile:

:ditto:

I'm going to Greece for my gap year, and at the beginning of one of my Cambridge interviews they asked me about it.

Me: Oh yes, I can't wait, I'm going to go for a long time, long as possible really. I'm so excited about it. I really am. *starts to get visibly excited* Ooo how exciting it will be! *manic smile*
(interviewers change subject pretty quickly)

Then at regular intervals, I would answer a question and then finish with an exhaling mutter of 'Oh but I'm so excited about Greece' 'Ooh I can't stop thinking about Greece!'

In another interview at Camb I was supposed to be setting up an argument with her, and she said 'Ok now argue your point'.
Me: But you'll just argue with me and disagree again and we'll be going around in circles :|

Oh god I swear I only got a place because I'm weird.
Reply 42
When asked: why Medicine?
My mind went totally blank and after going 'um' and er' a lot, I managed to mumble a 'to help people' and that was all I said for that question. *sigh*

And then after that he asked why not nursing.
I replied I want to make the decisions. And then he asked if I liked making decisions.
And I said no.

What the hell was I thinking?
I love how half the people posting don't realise this is in the Medicine forum. :rofl:
Reply 44
jonnyofengland
I love how half the people posting don't realise this is in the Medicine forum. :rofl:

ahh let them have their fun.. lol
Sarky
I said innit during my interview. But it wasn't really a mistake. I was being me.

im not rly concerned with the actual thread just found ur sig rather amusing like mine (dw i didnt steal) haha :rolleyes:

and the usernames match LOL
Ah, well, this wasn't me, but it did happen to my friend, he went for an interview at UCL for Medicine, and he thought the interviewer asked him, "What do you think of the BNP?" and he thought, Odd question, but just roll with it, so answered, "Well, I think its up to individuals if they want to be part of an extreme party."

However, a few moments of bemused expressions on the interviewer's face later, and a quick explanation by said interviewer, revealed that the interviewer had actually asked this; "What do you think of Baby P?"
Reply 47
jonnyofengland

oww :embarassed:
Reply 48
O.o mY SaRcAsM
im not rly concerned with the actual thread just found ur sig rather amusing like mine (dw i didnt steal) haha :rolleyes:

and the usernames match LOL

So you copied my username. And then my sig. What else you want? Shirt off my back? :eek: :tongue:
At Leicester, the doctor that was interviewing me seemed to be OBSESSED with bacteria:eek3:

-What diseases have we eradicated?

-Errr....ummm errr....well....the plague?

-"sniggers" ....well moving on then.... What types of infection are there?

- Bacterial, Viral and...........throat infection!!!!!

As soon as I left the words SMALLPOX and FUNGAL suddenly sprung to mind :rolleyes:
Reply 50
Lust of a Gardener
when I walked into the interview room I shook the interviewers hand with my left hand... he looked at me and said "idiot". and then when I was moving to sit down, I knocked over his water. And then.....

I sat down and farted.

LMMFAO :biggrin: made my day. :tongue:
Reply 51
instead of saying "quality patient care" I said "look after their patients very well..ehrm no wait a minute thats not what im trying to say..theres a word to describe this better...ehrrm...mmmm...oh i cant remember it hahaha!" :O :O :O this was at my first interview this year!!
Reply 52
I made one mistake which is fairly well-publicised on here and other Oxbridge interview resource sites...

The other slightly stupid thing I did was during a discussion on hormones, having answered why insulin couldn't be taken orally, I was asked if I knew any hormones that COULD be. The only thing I could think of was the Pill, but I was a shy 17 year old sitting in front of two fairly elderly Cambridge Fellows, and all I could think was "They can't ask me about SEX!?! This is soooo embarassing!" which then meant they had to walk me through the question, leading me to the answer I already knew but was too coy to say. :o:
Firstly I didn't apply to read medicine but biomedical science instead. :cool: However for one of my uni choices, I had to go to an interview and in one set of interview I was asked what the condition arthritis was as I was talking about autoimmune diseases with the interviewer, unfortunately my mind went blank so i simply said "some sort of disorder of the skeletal system" in a somewhat slow and hesitant voice.
Second interview went pretty smooth (i.e. I successfully worked out 12 times 7 is 84 mentally, something other candidates struggled with) apart from the end when I couldn't explain some mechanisms that involved aerobic respiration but I ran out of time anyway.
The third interview went pretty **** to be honest where I was put under quite a lot of pressure (i.e. this was the typical nasty interview ). Firstly medical ethics question, ok, this seems simply enough then I sort of choked when asked about the advantages of the condom and the pill. (Initial thoughts where "wtf, I'm talking about underage sex here......". Then I was basically guided through some weird problem on clinical trials. However I at least managed to correctly identify a petri dish and some of its uses. :biggrin::
Subsequently I was rejected and from looking at my profile, i pretty sure you can guess which institute this was.....
Helenia
I made one mistake which is fairly well-publicised on here and other Oxbridge interview resource sites...

What was it? :unsure:

I did the same as your other point though - I was asked a question where the answer was to do with the menopause (something to do with why older women's bones are more brittle) but with a fairly elderly lady opposite me I was far too shy to say it!
Reply 55
an interviewer asked me "how does anaesthesia work on people?"

I had in mind all the words (analgesia, sedation, memory loss/selective amnesia etc) and the concept of sodium channels and hyperpolarisation but all I could say was

"umm it blocks the pain receptors in a localised area for LA and it blocks the pain receptors in the brain for GA"

and the guy looked at me cynically (a la the suspicious look when you look at an oyster that looks rotten) and he told me :" I'm sure it does more than block pain receptors."

and I was like "... yeah!"

then all the other interviewers went "right, so where were we?"

oops!
Reply 56
selective amnesia? that sounds rather daunting
Reply 57
i said there was a disadvantage to the course (they asked me for one!)
Reply 58
jonnyofengland
What was it? :unsure:

I was shown a picture which was an electron micrograph of a cell. I had to talk through the different parts of it, what they did etc. We'd established it was a secretory cell, and that it was probably endocrine as there was no duct visible. They asked me for an example of what sort of cell it might be, and I said a pancreatic beta cell. They said "Yes, that's right" and moved on.

Sooo, a year or so later, I created a profile on an Oxbridge admissions interview database, stating that I was shown a picture of a pancreatic beta cell and had to talk about it. A year after that, at our medics dinner, my director of studies (who had interviewed me) mentioned this site, and how they knew who had looked at it because they always made the same mistake I had - it wasn't a beta cell at all (though my answer wasn't wrong per se, as there was no way you could tell on that picture the specific cell type it was)! They told me to leave it there as it keeps them amused.
Helenia
I was shown a picture which was an electron micrograph of a cell. I had to talk through the different parts of it, what they did etc. We'd established it was a secretory cell, and that it was probably endocrine as there was no duct visible. They asked me for an example of what sort of cell it might be, and I said a pancreatic beta cell. They said "Yes, that's right" and moved on.

Sooo, a year or so later, I created a profile on an Oxbridge admissions interview database, stating that I was shown a picture of a pancreatic beta cell and had to talk about it. A year after that, at our medics dinner, my director of studies (who had interviewed me) mentioned this site, and how they knew who had looked at it because they always made the same mistake I had - it wasn't a beta cell at all (though my answer wasn't wrong per se, as there was no way you could tell on that picture the specific cell type it was)! They told me to leave it there as it keeps them amused.

lmao I would say the same thing with my knowledge so far.. I hate it in exams when you see real pictures that look so different to computerised ones and you can never be certain of what it is your labeling.

Latest

Trending

Trending