The Student Room Group
Swalkx
Hi, I am interested in both English and History (perhaps eng more so) and as such am considering applying to Oxford to read a dual honours degree. I was wondering whether anybody knows if this subject receives more/less applicants than a standard single degree and how hard it is to get a place to read it. Thanks a lot!

I think there are only 15 places for History and English across the University per year, and that the general level of success floats around the 10 to 1 mark, compared to about 30% for straight history.
Reply 2
It's difficult. If Eng more so, I'd advise that, since the applicants:tongue:laces ratio is so poor.
serrellen
It's difficult. If Eng more so, I'd advise that, since the applicants:tongue:laces ratio is so poor.

That said, I applied for History and Politics, which has a worse success rate than straight History, because I love the subjects and wanted to study them at degree level. An individual applying for History and English joint honours can be considered for both straight History and straight English if they are sufficiently impressive in one of the disciplines.
go for what you would enjoy more, regardless
Reply 5
Go for the subject you love, there is zero point in playing the percentages game.
Swalkx
Hi, I am interested in both English and History (perhaps eng more so) and as such am considering applying to Oxford to read a dual honours degree. I was wondering whether anybody knows if this subject receives more/less applicants than a standard single degree and how hard it is to get a place to read it. Thanks a lot!

See the university prospectus, via here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/index.html

Acceptance rate for H&E: 12.5%, for H, 20.5%, for E, 21.8%; though I would guess with some H&E applicants being offered places in the single-subjects, it's all much of a muchness in the end.

DtS
Reply 7
hasanabrar
I think Derek that you've made a mistake there. History has over 30% acceptance ratio while English is like 20%. English is one of the most oversubscribed courses at Oxford, much more so than History.

Eh? DtS has made a mistake by quoting the official University figures? :confused:
Reply 8
Definitely apply for what you want to do most - I applied for Ancient and Modern hisstory which has an 18% acceptance rate compared with 30% in straight history but I wouldn't say I was a significantly stronger applicant than those applying for history.

You don't want to end up doing a course that you don't really want to do cause statistics say its easier

Latest

Trending

Trending