The Student Room Group

Letter help needed for W/E. +rep given.

hello folks,

i am after a bit of help/advice.
I wish to write a letter to enquire about obtaining some work experience at some local GP's/hospitals/hospices.
I will write a letter and post off to these various places.
I am stuck what to write in the letter - I have written some bits so far but it doesn't read too well.
What should I include in the letter? how shall i lay it out?

If someone could help me mock up a letter briefly on what to include i'd be very grateful. this is all new to me so not too sure how to go about it.

i'll give my next 2 + reps out for anyone who sufficiently helps me!

thanks

ps i dont want any of this "do it yourself" and "why should we help you" kind of rubbish, i am only posting for advice and help
Reply 1
Well the best thing to do is to write/email to consultant's secretaries. Otherwise you might find that your letter is just forgotten about. If think of how much documentation goes through hospitals then think that your letter would be pretty low priority; it might not get to the people you want it to.

I'd just say:

Who you are;
Where you study at the moment;
What you want to study (for this I would put a specialty down that could change for each letter if you know what I mean);
What you hope to get from the experience (just make up some crap about wanting to make sure that medicine is the right career path for you;
Then just say anything at all would be great;
And it would be good if you could get a short reference from one of yours teachers to say you're interested in medicine.

Then just make sure you have all your contact details down and hope they get back to you!

Hope that helps,

marshey.
Reply 2
the best thing to do would be to insult the people you are asking for help.

if you are as obnoxious as you sound - be sure to post the letter.
if you are actually a polite and presentable young chap - drop the letter off in person and you will be much more likely to get a reply.
Reply 3
I've recently written one for work experience. All my work experience was organised through co-ordinators at the hospitals. Try ringing hospital's HR departments and asking for voluntary services; if they can't help you then they'll probably know someone who will. As for the letter, give a little background information, e.g. I'm currently studying at XXXX college and am hoping to study medicine, would I be able to organise some work experience/shadowing a doctor at your hospital; or something along those lines.
Reply 4
thecdon

You need >1 gem to give out rep with any impact :yes:
Reply 5
sorry for the way i came across. im not obnoxious at all. i have just posted several threads over the last few weeks politely enquiring regarding various matters, and there have been many posts which are an attempt to make the op feel stupid and as if he/she is posting something ridiculous.pointless posts with content like this are annoying in large quantities, i was just fed up of it, and was expecting more jibes in this thread.

some people seem to be on a high horse on this forum (im not saying anyone who has posted in this thread is..)

thank you for your help alexd and marshey, you 2 are of a select few who help straight away :smile:

kinkerz - who cares about rep power? surely it's just the thouhgt of giving someone a rep that counts? apologies for having a low rep count, i dont sit on this forum all day.... hehehe :smile:
Reply 6
thecdon
kinkerz - who cares about rep power? surely it's just the thouhgt of giving someone a rep that counts? apologies for having a low rep count, i dont sit on this forum all day.... hehehe :smile:

Was just pointing it out. You don't need to get defensive.
Reply 7
sorry
Reply 8
thecdon
hello folks,

i am after a bit of help/advice.
I wish to write a letter to enquire about obtaining some work experience at some local GP's/hospitals/hospices.
I will write a letter and post off to these various places.
I am stuck what to write in the letter - I have written some bits so far but it doesn't read too well.
What should I include in the letter? how shall i lay it out?

If someone could help me mock up a letter briefly on what to include i'd be very grateful. this is all new to me so not too sure how to go about it.

thanks

ps i dont want any of this "do it yourself" and "why should we help you" kind of rubbish, i am only posting for advice and help

can't you just give them a call, and then take it from there.. that's what i did:smile:
Reply 9
i could call, i just thought a letter may be better to clearly list details, what i wish to study etc, and i could give them time to ponder whether they wish to let me volunteer, whilst on the phone it is kind of on the spot ! just a thought
Reply 10
I did the same as you but for solicitors,
I just did my CV and wrote something along the lines of,

Please find attached a copy of my CV for your consideration. I am currently studying ... and wish/have applied to ... to study ... .
I would very much like the opportunity to be able to complete some work experience with you and would appreciate it of you could considere my application.

Thank you for your help

Kind Regards

Something along the lines of that, thats all I did, I don't think they want to sit and read a 10 page long letter and most places ignore you anyway. Well I found this with Law firms
xx
Reply 11
thecdon
i could call, i just thought a letter may be better to clearly list details, what i wish to study etc, and i could give them time to ponder whether they wish to let me volunteer, whilst on the phone it is kind of on the spot ! just a thought

ring them up and ask if they take work experience students and who you should send a letter to to request experience (or ask if they'll take you on the spot)

Latest

Trending

Trending