The Student Room Group

Are you good enough for University Challenge?

I'm not sure if anybody already posted this, but my university (Manchester) has put a quiz on their website to test whether you should try out for University Challenge next year.

It's a test which was previously used to test potential team members, and is 100 questions long. Apparently if you score 25 or more you should try out, and most previous contestants score around 35 or more.

I think it's quite fun - I took it and only got 16, but once I checked the answers I was kicking myself for ones I really should have known. I just wondered if anyone would either find it fun to see how many they could score, or wanted to use it to check if they should try out for their university this year! Don't have a go at me if someone posted it already please :tongue:

So here is the link.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A friend of mine (first year) is the reserve for our actual team :smile:
He's stupidly intelligent though
Hey OP thanks for the link, I'm glad our uni got the title from those cheating oxbridgers!
Reply 3
Couldxbe
A friend of mine (first year) is the reserve for our actual team :smile:
He's stupidly intelligent though

Yeah, it seems a lot of the team members on there are... After attempting that test, as well as the actual written test last year at SOAS, I must conclude I am nowhere near good enough!
lolol I got 17. No University Challenge for me then.
Reply 5
Economies_of_scale
lolol I got 17. No University Challenge for me then.

That's one better than I got!
Reply 6
Mr. Orange
Hey OP thanks for the link, I'm glad our uni got the title from those cheating oxbridgers!

Pfffft, we got it by default, no pride in that imo. Still makes for good jokes from lecturers :tongue:
I got 5. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Alex L
Pfffft, we got it by default, no pride in that imo. Still makes for good jokes from lecturers :tongue:

I don't really mind that we won by default! We won a couple of years ago anyway, and it's hardly like we fluked it to the final this year. We always have worthy teams and deserved to win either way :yep:
Reply 9
LOL i got 5 right...so yes I will strive to compete next year and be the one on the end that noone listens to anyway
I got 23 :smile:

My Haile Selassie guess was well lucky as was the Japanese Island one :biggrin:
Reply 11
Four :frown: That said, I skimmed over several questions I actually knew the answers to.
If someone had read them out to me, in a well-educated male voice with phrases like "starter for ten" attached at the beginning, I'm sure I would've been fine :smile:
I got 12, not bad for a 17 year old I guess. Would have gotten 14 if I hadn't said Manassas after i'd typed Bulls Run and if I'd have actually read the Haile Selassie (he kicks ass) question.
Mr. Orange

Err, you mean "Oxforders".
Reply 14
Mr. Orange
I got 23 :smile:

My Haile Selassie guess was well lucky as was the Japanese Island one :biggrin:

Ooh, the best so far! Well done!

Yeah, after I did it I was thinking, if I had actually been on University Challenge, I wouldn't have buzzed in for half of them as they were just educated guesses... I wouldn't want to be the annoying one who buzzes in, gets the answer wrong and loses points!
Reply 15
Well, I'm guessing NO! I got 16 :smile:
Reply 16
Economies_of_scale
Err, you mean "Oxforders".

Or both, as Oxford is half of Oxbridge? I think he meant it's nice that an Oxbridge college didn't win it...
mimimimi
I don't really mind that we won by default! We won a couple of years ago anyway, and it's hardly like we fluked it to the final this year. We always have worthy teams and deserved to win either way :yep:

Yeah we well and truly deserved to be in the final, but I do feel that a rematch would have been far better than to have been given it by default :yep:
mimimimi
Or both, as Oxford is half of Oxbridge? I think he meant it's nice that an Oxbridge college didn't win it...

Yeah but "Oxbridge" didn't "cheat". Oxford "did".
Reply 19
Alex L
Yeah we well and truly deserved to be in the final, but I do feel that a rematch would have been far better than to have been given it by default :yep:

Yes, I suppose, but then who would be Corpus Christi's fourth team member? They couldn't really use someone new, but they also couldn't use the disgraced graduate... :tongue:

A rematch would be good, though! Anything which means there's more University Challenge on TV has to be a good thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending