The Student Room Group

Help on choosing my a levels

Ok im in a bit of a pickle. I want to go into the aviation industry, either as a pilot or engineer. I know they are quite different but if i cant possibly be a pilot, then i want to be an engineer. I have chosen Maths, Physics, Physcology and biology. I think i should change the biology and maybe physcology. I was thinking maybe history or politics. Love to here anyones thoughts , ill give out some rep :smile: Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Depending on your maths ability, I would also consider Further Maths as an option. Personally I think if you were to swap out either Biology or Psychology, I would swap at psych and go for History.
Ye definitely do maths and physics.

I have a mate going into that industry and he's doing I.T as well, maybe thats an option?
Further maths is apparently very useful for engineering, but obviously means you'll spend most of your time doing maths (especially with physics too).
Reply 4
maths and physics are a definite, other 2 are completely up to you. further maths could be slightly more relevant than others?
Reply 5
Perhaps change one of biology/psychology to Further Maths? Further maths is really useful for an engineering degree.
May I also ask if you have a vague idea of the sort of universities you'd be applying for?
Reply 7
I agree with all of the above - Further Maths is supposed to be very good for engineering. If you can't/don't want to go for it then just do another two subjects you think you'd enjoy and do well in.
yeh as other people have said. consider further maths.

also dont do IT, its a horrible subject and not as well respected.

theres lists on he cambridge and oxford websites that you may want to look at (yeh i know you may not be looking to apply there. but it will give you an idea of what subjects will look good)
Reply 9
True Fact:

92% of TSR users who put +rep in their thread title, have actually got a reputation power of 0.
Reply 10
Clements-
May I also ask if you have a vague idea of the sort of universities you'd be applying for?

the best uni possible :smile:
I think:

[1]Physics
[2]Maths
[3]Chemistry
[4]Further maths / IT

4th choice doesn't really matter as Unis only ask for 3Alevels - so, so long as you enjoy it and get a good grade it won't count against you.
Universities are looking for dedication for your choice course but also 1contempory subject.
Take that into consideration and goodluck.
Reply 12
Hey I take Maths,Biology,Chemistry & Psychology. I enjoy biology more than psychology but find psychology easier in terms of work load. Physics and Maths is a definite for you I would swap biology for further maths perhaps ... because it would be nice to have a subject you can do something different ... instead of science/maths.
I would change the biology to further maths as people have suggested (although if you REALLY don't want to do it or its not available I wouldn't worry loads) and a good one to have would be history instead of the psychology because, well its just an academically strong essay based subject which adds that other option in case you ever changed your mind about careers.
But in the end ask the teachers about the subjects and just choose the ones that are still relevant to your hopeful career but you believe you can do well in. Nothing worse than doing loads of super hard a levels and failing them all.

Hope that helped.
Reply 14
When you say engineer do you mean aeronautical engineering? Whilst I'm not one myself, I do have a good friend who had a look at it for a while. Basically for most good engineering courses you will need Maths and Physics and one other reputable subject (no Directed Studies etc...) in which case your choices are fine, though I would recommend you drop the Psychology after AS Level unless you really enjoy it-it's your decision in the end anyway.

Oh and if you're up for it, engineering departments like Further Maths of some sort. However, its NOT. NECESSARY. Don't think you HAVE to take it now, I'm just giving you a few tips if you're going to go into engineering. They won't see it as bad if you havn't taken it, most people havn't! Don't bother with Further unless you're a geek like me and enjoy maths :tongue:

Hope this helps and that your dream to be a pilot works out :smile:
Reply 15
.. and Milch, just so you know i just want a quick reply as i have to make a decision for tomorrow morning what im going to be doing for the next 2 years
Reply 16
Maths, Physics, Physcology and biology
Maths and Physics are key but you allready know that...
Chemistry or Resistant Materials (if they do that?) would be good choices.
Drop pharmacology and biology. Take up further maths. This guy last year did maths, physics and further maths and said they all clicked in easily and with time he had a good amount of free periods. He went to Oxford to study Physics.
Reply 18
I think its a good idea to have a traditional essay based subject in there just to show you can so maybe swap psych for history! But other than that, good choice!
You should definately keep Maths and Physics. If you are good/ like maths, I would suggest Further Maths as well.

As for the other choices, do what you enjoy :smile:

Latest