The Student Room Group

Completely socially ignored?

Hey, I'm 17 years old, and I've had a problem for a while, where say I'm with a few people, and NO ONE looks at me at all. Do you get this too?

For example, I was at a party last night where I didn't know many people. Now the thing that bothered me was that I was completely ignored. I found myself standing in the kitchen, people were talking to eachother, and I was just standing there not doing anything. I did try to mix in with a few people, but even then I didn't get much acknowledgement.

Why does this only happen to me? I consider myself to be an alright looking guy, and I'm not really negative or anything - I can start and hold a conversation and I'm pretty laid back and light-hearted. I may come across as a bit boring because I don't have a vibrant personality/huge character, but does that not make me approachable? Or even look-at-able?

Does this happen to you? Or do you do it to other people? If so, why?

When I lost contact with my school friends, I thought it would be a great opportunity to make new/good ones. Two years later, and nothing. Why? I'm not a bad person - I'm just a normal boy that likes to have a laugh like everyone else. I used to be a bit shy, but now I'm not so much anymore. Though it's difficult to gain confidence when people wont even look at me.

What are your suggestions? What type of person do I need to be to become approachable? Where you think "Oh they seem like a cool person, I'd like to talk to them" instead of "nah" or something. I don't EXPECT people to come up to me and get to know me, I'm not saying that. It would just be nice if it happened once in a while. I do make a big effort to start conversations with people that I don't know and to try and get myself involved, but something about me must be very un-inviting. Help? :frown:
Reply 1
For example, I was at a party last night where I didn't know many people. Now the thing that bothered me was that I was completely ignored. I found myself standing in the kitchen, people were talking to eachother, and I was just standing there not doing anything. I did try to mix in with a few people, but even then I didn't get much acknowledgement.

sadly, under that atmosphere, people tend to stick to those they know and rarely approach someone who's stuck in the corner lookin like a billy-no-mates :frown: Why didn't you walk out? I probably would have, lol. Unless I'm there for something important.

If there was another person similar situation to you hovering about there's a chance he would approached you to say Hi,etc.
Reply 2
I did manage to talk to a vampire-like girl and a gay guy, but after that I did just leave lol.
Reply 3
maybe cuz they had had a drink. i found when ive had a drink as im less awkward if people come in and out i dont really noticce or care. sorta like, say like someone i didnt know did something stupid or weird, it would just go over my head when drunk but if was sober id probably think about it alot more
yede
maybe cuz they had had a drink. i found when ive had a drink as im less awkward if people come in and out i dont really noticce or care. sorta like, say like someone i didnt know did something stupid or weird, it would just go over my head when drunk but if was sober id probably think about it alot more

Yeah when I've had enough to drink or whatever I usually pay little attention to people walking in and out. Sometimes I worry they might steal something, but usually I don't care.

Well why don't you bring a friend with you who can stick by?
Reply 5
bump
i have the same problem shazzam
Shazzam123
I did manage to talk to a vampire-like girl and a gay guy, but after that I did just leave lol.

eh?

you dislike others judging you, but you judge others? :confused:
Reply 8
rajandkwameali
eh?

you dislike others judging you, but you judge others? :confused:

I don't mind people judging me at all. People misinterpreting me when they haven't spoken to me at all bothers me a tiny bit. FYI, the first thing the "vampire-like" girl said to me was "hey I'm a vampire". And the gay guy was actually gay.

Those weren't insults.

Latest

Trending

Trending