The Student Room Group

Why give to charity?

And tbh, I can't be bothered quoting sources - it's common sense anyway. But anyway:

The world gives billions to charities every year, but the world is not getting any better - oh no, it's getting worse.

I mean, there's: famine, war, people displaced etc. How come the money put in from 2 decades ago, is not helping the world?

Nothing good is happening? People are still dying of malaria. People still don't have water. People still don't have an education. People still don't have TV or the Internet :eek:

Quite shocking really.

How come nothing has been done already?

No wonder people are less reluctant to give to charity - the world ain't getting better.

And, this isn't a troll thread - I'm just wondering why people give so much to charity, yet some of the poorest countries in the world aren't getting any better?

And how come the Government of the poorest countries aren't doing anything as well? :mad:

This is the 21st century! 2009! Yet, half the world still lacks in basic supplies. What? Is this for real? How can some countries be highly developed, yet some countries have only found out the birth of the 35mm Kodak camera?

Is there really any point in giving to charity? Cos, face it, the £1 that you're giving ain't helping the world becoming a better place.
People give to charity because they want to believe in an illusion. They want to think that they're doing something for a good cause. The outcome is irrelevent.
people, normal people, have compassion. so this is reason enough to give to charity.
Reply 3
im so academic
And tbh, I can't be bothered quoting sources - it's common sense anyway. But anyway:

The world gives billions to charities every year, but the world is not getting any better - oh no, it's getting worse.

I mean, there's: famine, war, people displaced etc. How come the money put in from 2 decades ago, is not helping the world?

Nothing good is happening? People are still dying of malaria. People still don't have water. People still don't have an education. People still don't have TV or the Internet :eek:

Quite shocking really.

No wonder people are less reluctant to give to charity - the world ain't getting better.

And, this isn't a troll thread - I'm just wondering why people give so much to charity, yet some of the poorest countries in the world aren't getting any better?

And how come the Government of the poorest countries aren't doing anything as well? :mad:

This is the 21st century! 2009! Yet, half the world still lacks in basic supplies. What? Is this for real? How can some countries be highly developed, yet some countries have only found out the birth of the 35mm Kodak camera?

Is there really any point in giving to charity? Cos, face it, the £1 that you're giving ain't helping the world becoming a better place.

i see you dont know anything about those things:have you tried to find information where goes all money?i will help you:no:)you dont understand how many people need help and they all cant get it now.Charity isn't worthless - it heps a lot.it's u are lazy and cant even look in enternet about at least one actions,which are taken by charity
i personally think we should focus on helping our own countries... i mean no disrespect to people in africa, but why do we care more about them then our own people?
what charities do you know that help people in england?
Reply 5
A charity is responsible for funding the oncology unit at my old hospital that treated my friend when she had Hodgkin's lymphoma. Without the charities money the ward would never have been built.

Some charities are good, some aren't so good. Donate to whichever you feel is best.
im so academic

Quite shocking really.

this is one of the most singularly moronic things that I've ever read. that you think that giving money to charity should instantly change the world is both an ignorant and mind blowingly stupid thing to say. similarly, thinking the government of poor countries is able to suddenly change the situation is also a pretty idiotic thing to say. How can you expect to get to Oxbridge making simplistic and idiotic statements such as that? the mind boggles
Reply 7
How odd... was just having this conversation with my boss this morning. During the same conversation, she (completely seriously) advocated mass castration of all african men to save Britain aid money in the long run. :eek: :frown:

The deputy head at my college worked in a really, really poor African place shortly after graduating, and every time we do a charity he day assures us that it does make a difference. We are not going to solve every problem this world has by throwing money at it, true, but we can use it to change at least some people's lives for the better. Surely that's worthwhile?
How do you know it's not helping? Have you ever been to these countries and seen the work done to help for yourself? No thought not.

Latest

Trending

Trending