The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll be absolutely fine.

However, it's fairly rough and tumble, you've got to be able to hold your own. Being feminine goes out of the window as a patrol officer!
Reply 2
********, it is v male dominant.
If you feel you can do it, go for it.
Don't let misconceptions and stereotypes hold you back.
If The Bill is anything to go by women don't seem too badly treated.

:getmecoat:
partychick
********, it is v male dominant.

You know nothing. Bye bye.
Reply 6
You don't need a degree for the police btw
bluelou
Hey, I've been thinking a lot recently about joining the police but lately my friend's dad said to not because it was incredibly male dominated and i would be treated badly? Is this true? He told me I'd be better off joining mi5 or something.

Also, is a degree in criminology useful or does it not really matter? I was thinking criminology and psychology.

Omg we must be twins haha, Im hoping to study psychology and criminologyin septemeber, then join the police :smile: eeeek great minds think alike, don't listen so what if its male dominated I spoke to my neighbour he's a police officer, its a great job to go into :smile:
Reply 8
I have always wondered why the police clearly discriminate on the size of the male when it comes to recruiting (read a few stories about this) yet they hire plenty of 8 stone 5'3 women without question. Hmm.
As already posted you don't need a degree for the police. In fact I know someone who joined straight after A levels, and someone who applied after gaining her first in Criminology and Sociology and did not get in. I think it sounds like a super career option, if you're looking for something varied etc.

The only way to stop seemingly male dominated career paths being less so, is by joining them :biggrin: Although I'm not sure that it is so male dominated these days.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Fusion
You don't need a degree for the police btw

It helps if you want to become a more senior Officer, or work for things like the National Crime Squad.

When my friend joined she was a 5'0", very slim girl with a degree in Chemistry. She has worked her way from Constable to Det Sgt, and has never had a problem with regards male colleagues.
All the male coppers I know date nurses, strippers or other Police Officers. They tend to marry the nurses and the Police officers. Now being a female officer it's rather hard so I've heard to land a man or girlie if you are that way inclined who isn't a copper.Not many female copper /male civvy last in my experience.

But if you aren't a bit of a whoopsy (that goes for the men too), can take a ********** without bursting into floods of tears and boobs (females take note) , could work in a male dominated environment, enjoy a job where it has it's rewards but can be rather thankless at times ,don't mind shift work go for it. Great job security (always scrotes who need lifting and gripping), good pay and benefits .Bare in mind though that due to the rubbish government and the rubbish economy lots of people might well be applying to join the mob. So it could be very competitive.
The guys are probably harsh, but I really don't know. You really gotta be firm, surely.
Sithius
I have always wondered why the police clearly discriminate on the size of the male when it comes to recruiting (read a few stories about this) yet they hire plenty of 8 stone 5'3 women without question. Hmm.

Price of equality I'm afraid, plus I think girlies bring some things to the Police force that perhaps men struggle with and IO don't care if Iam being sexist as I know Iam right. . Many moons ago when my grandad was old bill you had to be over six foot end of.You also had to be extremely fit . Not surprising when they only had a stick of wood to keep order. But strangely he hardly ever drew it as the sheer size of him was enough, and he prefered his fists.I think the only time was when he confronted a knife man on a double decker bus.

I do think it should be Police force again rather than service though. And they need to sort out some of the porky coppers especially the females with the issue fat arrrrses . Get rid of the PCSO's and hire more coppers.
Female police offers are always utter whores. Really they might aswell have a set of hairy balls.
If I were you, I'd find a nice, successfull husband and settle down, raise some children and keep a good clean home. Know your role.
Reply 16
I think if you're really serious about joining then you shouldn't let anything stand in your way!
At the end of the day their's laws in place to try and stop this sort of thing and if it doesnt work out you've still got a degree to try and find a better career with
Reply 17
Sithius

Source?
Reply 18
Ministerdonut
Price of equality I'm afraid, plus I think girlies bring some things to the Police force that perhaps men struggle with and IO don't care if Iam being sexist as I know Iam right. . Many moons ago when my grandad was old bill you had to be over six foot end of.You also had to be extremely fit . Not surprising when they only had a stick of wood to keep order. But strangely he hardly ever drew it as the sheer size of him was enough, and he prefered his fists.I think the only time was when he confronted a knife man on a double decker bus.

I do think it should be Police force again rather than service though. And they need to sort out some of the porky coppers especially the females with the issue fat arrrrses . Get rid of the PCSO's and hire more coppers.

You do realize that I'm talking about size, not just height? If an officer with the body of Peter Crouch showed up to help me whilst I was getting assaulted I would be rather concerned. On the other hand if a 5'10 copper weighing in at about 14 stone with a fairly low bodyfat appeared, I'd be a lot happier.

The 6'+ thing is rubbish, I see quite a few average height male coppers...

Tufts
Source?

Experience. They won't write it in text because it doesn't stand up to legislation. There may be no writing on the matter, but it is known as being true, just look around you. How often do you a see a 5'6 fat/skinny police officer? The only instances I can think of all involved the officer belonging to a minority group. Again, they are treated similarly to women and thus likely to be hired.
Sithius
You do realize that I'm talking about size, not just height? If an officer with the body of Peter Crouch showed up to help me whilst I was getting assaulted I would be rather concerned. On the other hand if a 5'10 copper weighing in at about 14 stone with a fairly low bodyfat appeared, I'd be a lot happier.

The 6'+ thing is rubbish, I see quite a few average height male coppers...

Experience. They won't write it in text because it doesn't stand up to legislation. There may be no writing on the matter, but it is known as being true, just look around you. How often do you a see a 5'6 fat/skinny police officer? The only instances I can think of all involved the officer belonging to a minority group. Again, they are treated similarly to women and thus likely to be hired.

You do realise I was talking about my Grandfathers time as a copper when there was a height restriction?In his view it should never have been got rid of and I would listen to him far more than joe bloggs. They should have kept the restriction for males and told the equal ops lot to do one and hired women who couldn't meet the minimum height.

My cousins a female copper and please don't be like her op:biggrin: . Drives home drunk saying if she gets stopped she has her warrant card and it will all be sorted. Got a guy knocked all over his living room for ripping my uncle off.Causing chaos at an RTA, when she moved someone she should not have done. And most embarrassingly when I was down oxford street with her seeing an armed Policeman going up to him drunk and explaining she doesn't get to carry that gat when she is on shift. (she was a probationer at the time). I'd shag her though if she wasn't me cousin.

Latest

Trending

Trending