The Student Room Group

Failed NAB twice: am I screwed? (Higher Human)

I'm crashing Higher Human Biology and I failed the NAB for Unit 1 by 4 marks. I sat it again and failed it by considerably more. I've to re-sit it a final time next week but I'm really nervous about failing it again. Tonight I started to make up some flashcards which seem to have curiously worked, because normally facts don't stick in my head unless they're completely useless or to do with history or something.

I don't want to sit the exam next year because I'm doing two Advanced Highers and two Highers next year, and my parents and the school have said another Higher on top of that would be too much. However, I have my sights set on St Andrews uni and would really like to get at least a B or even scrape an A; I got 43% in the Prelim and have heard of people who went from 29% in the Prelim to 70%+ in the final exam, etc etc.

Does anyone who has sat (or is sitting) Higher Human Biology have any advice re how to revise for Unit 1? It'd be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should have picked biology instead you plonker :wink:
Reply 2
pamelaa
Should have picked biology instead you plonker :wink:

Our school only offers Human though. :p:
Unit 1? I can't recall what's in that exactly. Cell structure is.... Jog my memory and I might be able to help...?
Reply 4
OriginofSymmetry
Unit 1? I can't recall what's in that exactly. Cell structure is.... Jog my memory and I might be able to help...?

It's like Protein Synthesis, Cell Structure, Meiosis, that sort of stuff. :confused:
Oh yeah. For the protein synthesis, diagrams are really helpful for memorising the steps in which the DNA codes, leaves the cell and enters the ribosome. So a couple of labeled diagrams stuck above your desk or whatever at home really helps. For the cell structure, I just wrote out the definitions of each out and what they do. This was just really rote learning for me, through the use of colours (that works for me but doesn't work for others, try it out). Meiosis is just so poorly covered at Higher - that was the hardest bit out of the whole course for me, it was put across in a way that was so confusing. Again, learn the steps through diagrams, with numbered stages.

Trying to think of what else there was. DNA is pretty straightforward if I remember right. Kreb's Cycle was a bit of a bitch, but it's just drilling it into your head, really.

Flashcards are good. Stick them up around your room or all over the house for the week. You'll get used to seeing them and they'll stay in your mind. For my Highers, my room was covered with stuff. Essay quotes, maths equations, bio. facts (mainly the Kreb cycle), chemistry stuff.
Reply 6
ArcadiaHouse
It's like Protein Synthesis, Cell Structure, Meiosis, that sort of stuff. :confused:

That sounds remarkably similar to the normal biology course.
I haven't took the human biology course so I can't help you there.
Good luck anyway, and if you haven't already, I would recomend you buy a good text book.
xo-Heva
That sounds remarkably similar to the normal biology course.
I haven't took the human biology course so I can't help you there.
Good luck anyway, and if you haven't already, I would recomend you buy a good text book.

I think they share 2 units, but I might be wrong (I probably am - I dropped biology after 2nd year but was mentally absent from that class from 1st year :tongue: ).
TheUnbeliever
I think they share 2 units, but I might be wrong (I probably am - I dropped biology after 2nd year but was mentally absent from that class from 1st year :tongue: ).

Yeah, you are wrong. :p:
OriginofSymmetry
Yeah, you are wrong. :p:

Silly subject anyway.

(I kid!)
Reply 10
They have different units, but because so much of it overlaps in biology they seem the same.

EDIT: The first Unit is near-identical to much of the biology course, but the 2nd and 3rd are quite different. With only some of it overlapping.
Nevermind, I re-sat the re-sit yesterday and got 70%!! :biggrin:
Well done :smile: Make sure you keep it up!
Meteorshower
Well done :smile: Make sure you keep it up!

Thanks! I have no intention of screwing up the final exam. But I can't promise anything. :wink:

The guy who sits behind me in English isn't allowed to take five Advanced Highers, but he's allowed to take four. :p: Did you have to fight to take the five, or did they just let you?
ArcadiaHouse
Thanks! I have no intention of screwing up the final exam. But I can't promise anything. :wink:

The guy who sits behind me in English isn't allowed to take five Advanced Highers, but he's allowed to take four. :p: Did you have to fight to take the five, or did they just let you?

Well I'm doing music without going to class so timetable wise i'm only doing 4. My pupil support teacher was kinda skeptical that i'd be able to manage but I just pointed to my prelim marks and said I hadn't felt challenged and it would be impressive for Cambridge. I did do them for the challenge though, not my Cambridge application (just as well :p:)
Meteorshower
Well I'm doing music without going to class so timetable wise i'm only doing 4. My pupil support teacher was kinda skeptical that i'd be able to manage but I just pointed to my prelim marks and said I hadn't felt challenged and it would be impressive for Cambridge. I did do them for the challenge though, not my Cambridge application (just as well :p:)

Ah cool! The guy wants to do five because he wants to do law at King's College, Cambridge. :lolwut: I've told him it can be done!
ArcadiaHouse
Ah cool! The guy wants to do five because he wants to do law at King's College, Cambridge. :lolwut: I've told him it can be done!

Which five does he want to do? I'm not sure it will be as easy doing less science based subjects than me...
Meteorshower
Which five does he want to do? I'm not sure it will be as easy doing less science based subjects than me...

English, Maths, Modern Studies, Physics, and Spanish. He's absolutely insane, but it will be interesting to see what happens ...
ArcadiaHouse
English, Maths, Modern Studies, Physics, and Spanish. He's absolutely insane, but it will be interesting to see what happens ...

If he's naturally good at maths and spanish that wont be impossible I reckon. Interestingly varied choices. I hope he can apply himself!

Latest

Trending

Trending