The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Holland we did Amsterdam and stopped by the Hague on our way down. In Amsterdam we stayed in the Stayokay Stadloen (something like that) hostel which was lovely if expensive, 20 euros. This included nice room, breakfast, storage space etc, recommended as a first stop kinda place.

Belgium we went to Brussels and Bruge. Brussels is quite dull, again we stayed in the HI hostel which had good rooms but irritating american tourists. Bruge is *wonderful*, definetly go there! Really pretty town, clean and lovely.

France we went to Paris, Lyon and Nice. Paris was a bit poo as we had problems with our hostel, the Three Ducks(boo hiss rubbish, ignore the guide books!). Plus we'd seen it all before, the latin quarter is always worth a visit though. Lyon had the *nicest* hostel we stayed in. Be warned its up a huge hill but this affords wonderful views of the city. They had a good breakfast as well :smile: Nice was very busy, beautiful beaches. The HI hostel is ages out of the city so you are better off trying somewhere else. We had quite a scummy hotel place next to the sex shops (all hostels are near a sex shop, its a scientific FACT) but there was a good atmosphere and we met some really nice australians.

Tadaa, probably enough writing. If you have any more questions then shoot away :biggrin:
is it first class?
i couldn't go any other way.
£600 for 24 days is fantastic, that's £14.50 per day (taking away the train and interrail costs there).. how did you do that? Surely you need more than that? I'd say a hostel would take over half of that per night, so.. £7.50 a day on entertainment, surely not?
afireinside©
£600 for 24 days is fantastic, that's £14.50 per day (taking away the train and interrail costs there).. how did you do that? Surely you need more than that? I'd say a hostel would take over half of that per night, so.. £7.50 a day on entertainment, surely not?

It just depends how far you're willing to take the scrimping and saving. I spent about a grand (not including ticket) for a month. We decided not to be totally budget about it and once we had to spend quite a bit for a night in Venice coz the one and only hostel was full and they don't really do very cheap hotels there. You kind of get into good habits though. Like eating once or twice a day rather than three times. Also supermarkets are great! In Italy (which was generally quite expensive) we bought bread, cheese and pesto and made sandwiches and then went to the most amazing (and such good value) Pizzaria for dinner. It's a question of hunting around a bit for the best deals on food, rooms, things to do and see etc. No point arriving and not doing things to save money though or you waste potentially amazing experiences.
I am planning to go to Germany/Austria/Poland/Czech Republic in the summer for a month with a friend. Probably have a budget of about £600, feasable?
afireinside©
I am planning to go to Germany/Austria/Poland/Czech Republic in the summer for a month with a friend. Probably have a budget of about £600, feasable?

Just about. If that's spending money and without the ticket then yes. Germany and Austria will probably drain the money fairly quickly whereas Poland and the CR will be a lot kinder on the wallet. That's 20 quid a day. I reckon you'd probably be able to spend £25 per day in Germany and Austria and then £15 in the other two. If you could get some temporary work or a weekend job to earn another £200-400 before you go it wouldn't hurt. I dunno I just feel that once you get there it's worth making the most of it rather than worrying about every little detail of your budget. If you're going with £600 though it is definitely worth trying to hunt around for the best value hostels. That's especially true as you're only visiting four places so you'll probably be staying for a good few nights in each.
Reply 26
Alright, if i wanted to go for a year, how much money would i need? With like, meals, train, hostels, all that jazz. How much money did you spend per day or per week(in euros)?
JakeR
Alright, if i wanted to go for a year, how much money would i need? With like, meals, train, hostels, all that jazz. How much money did you spend per day or per week(in euros)?

A year? :biggrin:

Erm... well the ticket's a few hundred (times 12).

Then I'd say you'd need to budget for an average of 15 Euros per night for a room. Then another 20 or so for everything else.

Not cheap.
englishstudent
Just about. If that's spending money and without the ticket then yes. Germany and Austria will probably drain the money fairly quickly whereas Poland and the CR will be a lot kinder on the wallet. That's 20 quid a day. I reckon you'd probably be able to spend £25 per day in Germany and Austria and then £15 in the other two. If you could get some temporary work or a weekend job to earn another £200-400 before you go it wouldn't hurt. I dunno I just feel that once you get there it's worth making the most of it rather than worrying about every little detail of your budget. If you're going with £600 though it is definitely worth trying to hunt around for the best value hostels. That's especially true as you're only visiting four places so you'll probably be staying for a good few nights in each.

I was thinking i'd be cutting it a bit short, gonna have to start putting a few extra hours in at work soon as A2 exams are over I think! I'll definitely be looking to spend as little as poss on getting a roof over my head and travel expenses; got to have enough money to enjoy myself too! :p:
Reply 29
I think what I'm going to do is just work from the time I get back to the states(I'm going on a year abroad to Portugal my 12th form). Then work the first half of that next year, then around....february or march or so, start my backpacking trip around Europe.

That's one of the like...10 choices I've got for myself. I might do another year abroad, to Germany on a high school exchange program. I really don't know, I have a while to make the choice though, so no hurry.

This is all for my gap year.
Reply 30
rah2
Holland we did Amsterdam and stopped by the Hague on our way down. In Amsterdam we stayed in the Stayokay Stadloen (something like that) hostel which was lovely if expensive, 20 euros. This included nice room, breakfast, storage space etc, recommended as a first stop kinda place.

Ah I actually live in the hague, cant say we get THAT many tourists here though to be honest. Amsterdam is great fun to go to with friends for a special night out, and definitely not a shortage of things to do when you're there. If anyone does go to Amsterdam on their interrailing trips though i highly recomend going to Boom Chicago, its a comedy club on "Leidseplein"-which is a square with huge coffee shop, various bars. They do shows pretty much every night i think, and they've got a reputation for being well worth the money.

The Hague is much smaller in comparison, pretty good for going out, plenty of bars so easy to pub crawl if thats your thing, some pretty buildings that i prolly take for granted living here, e.g. the houses of parliament that i walk though most friday nights to get to the station hehe. Well worth a visit if only for a night and just 40 minutes away from Amsterdam. So if anyone wants to know anything else about Holland give me a shout as i've lived here all my life...
Reply 31
You'll be pleased to know I tell everyone how wonderful Holland is and how nice the Dutch are :smile:

(Although, it's a bit flat for my liking)
blissy

(Although, it's a bit flat for my liking)

Like a pancake...

Also when I was in Amsterdam it did feel vaguely strange at time just how stoned everyone actually seemed. Peaceful but weird. If you want to sample local cuisine, don't bother - the KFC is great!
Reply 33
I went to a restaurant called "Oud Holland" (I think spelt like that) and it was sooo yummy. Ham and pea soup and all dutchy stuff. Went there both times I've been to Amsterdam - lovely and filling for the last day when you don't need to keep your tummy empty for er, other reasons.

I found so many people (Americans usually) trying to GIVE me drugs because they were on their way home. I passed the favour on too :smile:

Latest