The Student Room Group

If I start a nursing diploma...

will I have time for a life and other interests? Its just Im an athlete (amateur of course) and am always watching my diet, running everyday and if I don't stick to a regular sleep routine it messes me up.

Im currently only working part time (15 hours a week or so) but yea how much would being a student nurse (in mental health) disrupt my training? Its just Im comming up to 24 so am at me peak and don't want to waste years. At the same time though its time to start thinking about a career so I might as well do mental health its what Ive got the most experience in.
so your interested in mhn?

ok so when at uni you're usually in university 9-5 at the most, on placement shifts can vary, some placements let you choose when you work, some don't. you'd do around 40hrs a week from early shifts from 7-2.45, evening from 3-7 (i think) and night shifts, 7-7 OR long shifts 7am-7pm.

its still easy to keep healthy and be a nurse and eat reguarly- sleep wise its up to you how you sort it out, although unfortunately with many careers, especially nursing it may need to come first as on top of placements you have work to do, this happens with growing up, i mean your 24 and just working part time..maybe its time to now take a step back?
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure if your good at managing time and stuff, you'll be fine doing a nursing course.
I mean I personally don't think it's that time consuming as some people make it out to be anyway, the only real time consuming part is essays and stuff I think. Placement is just like having another job anyways...except you're not being paid for it you're just learning.

I mean my placement shifts are

720-320 early
140-2140 late
2140-720 night

Oh, and anna said as well there's also long shifts you can do if you want.
Most universities/placement vary with lecture hours and placement hours.
Also many universities vary the time in practice each week. for instance we have a whole day in uni and 22.5 hours in placement.
some may not have this day in uni therefore having more placement time :smile:
my shift choices atm are:

E 7.00-3.00
L 2.00-10.00
M 8.30-4.30
N 9.00-7.00

Latest