The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 61
JMonkey
Ah Manchesters more civilised than Leeds. You'll be fine. :smile:

It's pretty culturally diverse so I doubt you'll have any problems apart from the obvious culture clash from moving to a different country, even if Americans are practically Europeans with a funny accent. :smile:

EDIT: Oh yeah and people from Lancashire in my experience tend to be really nice and friendly. Loved Liverpool, it's full of character and the people are as forward as anywhere you will find in the UK. Manchester I'm not so familiar with but in general it's a good county to chose in England to move to, as far as the people go.

Yay:biggrin:
Reply 62
noggins
Hahaha!! I never realised Beverley Hills Cop II is thrown into that montage of movies. Infact, its perhaps the best of the bunch. IMO, of course ^^

I haven't actually seen any of those films; it's the diverse scenery that does it for me, plus the theme = great video.
Reply 63
Teigan
And you don't think there are people that do drugs here and in Australia? :rofl:

And as for the bit in bold- good. We could do with taking a leaf out of America's book in regards to prison.

Oh you don't want to do that, because in America, the lowlifes actually rape you while you are in prison. 13-20% of prisoners get raped in prison.

To the person who says that the US is bigger and hence it only only logical they have more people in jail - Please note the US's incaseration rate per capita is the highest on earth. It doesn't matter that they have more people, they just have the highest percentage of their population in jail. Out of 100,000 people in the US , 700 are in jail. Out of 100,000 people in the UK, only 140 are in jail. Here take a look at this: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r234.pdf

The entire American society is just in decadence, filled with lowlifes and lazy scums. Sure there are many honest and nice people but their society are filled with many of such.

Just take a look at their most eminent state - California. Who is their governor? Arnold. Who is Arnold? An ex steroid user, ex drug abuser who did drugs on video and this animal is the best they can find for the highest public office in Cali?

Who is their president? Obama - the kid who was constantly high in his late teens. Their ex president? George Bush - the guy who fought an illegal war in iraq without the permission of the UN. Their ex ex president? Bill Clinton - The guy who received a blow job in office while being married with a kid. The guy who went under oath and said "He did not have sex with monica lewinsky" then later admitting that he did receive a blowjob but did not commit perjury as a blow job was not "sex".

Then put in the countless drug addicts, gun crimes, arrogant people, lazy people living on social security doing nothing all day long except thinking of how to spend the government's money!

Well I am just glad the economic crisis has hit them hard and they are experiencing 10% unemployment rate. Good riddance of these scums. Not all americans are lowlifes, but there sure are plenty of them.
Reply 64
Still waiting for them easily googleable sources for the figures in your original post. :yawn:
Reply 65
Oh no! Someone's jealous!

You better hope the economy doesn't worsen because your butt would feel its heat.

:wink:
Reply 66
Just take a look at their most eminent state - California. Who is their governor? Arnold. Who is Arnold? An ex steroid user, ex drug abuser who did drugs on video and this animal is the best they can find for the highest public office in Cali?

Who is their president? Obama - the kid who was constantly high in his late teens. Their ex president? George Bush - the guy who fought an illegal war in iraq without the permission of the UN. Their ex ex president? Bill Clinton - The guy who received a blow job in office while being married with a kid. The guy who went under oath and said "He did not have sex with monica lewinsky" then later admitting that he did receive a blowjob but did not commit perjury as a blow job was not "sex".

Congrats. You've singled out a few politicians with bad history. I'm pretty certain that I could dig up plenty of bad history on many former and current British politicians. I could start with Jacqui Smith, Enoch Powell, ...

Well I am just glad the economic crisis has hit them hard and they are experiencing 10% unemployment rate. Good riddance of these scums. Not all americans are lowlifes, but there sure are plenty of them.

And which society doesn't have lowlife scums?

I think that you have a major problem with generalising. I'm no pro-American person either but every country has problems. We in Britain are renowned for football hooliganism, we have numerous chavs, extremely classist, we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe, we consume more alcohol per capita than the Americans, etc.

Besides that, they've contributed plenty of positive aspects to the world. They're either first or second in terms of patent filings, they have more high-ranked universities than the UK, they produce many Nobel laureates, they're a driving force in technology (they invented the Internet, computer mouse, Google, GPS, flash programming, LEDs, laser, plutonium, transistor, numerous contributions to astronomy, sciences, films, etc.), they created rock & roll, they're a large donor of aid and the world's leading economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_inventions
Reply 67
Almost everyone does drugs or has done drug before.

Proof? Until you prove this as a fact it's no more than a personal assumption and observation. Reliable source(s) please...

25% of americans have a criminal record!

Proof? Until you prove this as a fact it's no more than a personal assumption and observation. Reliable source(s) please...

I doubt that many western nations would be as well-off as they are today given that many economies depend on the health of the US economy and not to forget the Marshall Aid that they provided to war-torn Europe after Hitler wrecked the place. In addition, who would've stopped Japan from conquering and slaughtering most of China and the Orient during WWII?

If the US economy is in decline so ours so I wouldn't be too happy about the recession.

They also give twice as much charitable donations as a percentage of GDP compared to the UK

# 1. United States - 1.67%
# 2. United Kingdom - .73%

Source (page 3): http://www.cafonline.org/pdf/International%20Comparisons%20of%20Charitable%20Giving.pdf

As much I despise Bush, I'd like to see other world leaders create a larger marine reserve: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article675363.ece

There are good and bad apples in every society; I try to focus on both rather than on just the bad and generalising and assuming based on those.
Who, apart from retarded US residents, has claimed that it's a great country?
Reply 69
Cyclone33
Oh no! Someone's jealous!

You better hope the economy doesn't worsen because your butt would feel its heat.

:wink:

Here's what I am talking about typical american arrogant response - They are all jealous of us, we are the best yeah!

I hate to burst your bubble but I am not the least jealous of the US. I would never want to live there. I won't even want to holiday there given how expensive things are. If I were looking for a country to migrate to, Canada, Australia, parts of Europe and even Japan would be a better choice for my lifestyle.

Enjoy your life in the US though, enjoy the 10% unemployment rate, the guns crime, the drugs, the arrogance and yes of course, enjoy the "liberty"
Reply 70
Apparition

I doubt that many western nations would be as well-off as they are today given that many economies depend on the health of the US economy and not to forget the Marshall Aid that they provided to war-torn Europe after Hitler wrecked the place. In addition, who would've stopped Japan from conquering and slaughtering most of China and the Orient during WWII?

If the US economy is in decline so ours so I wouldn't be too happy about the recession.

They also give twice as much charitable donations as a percentage of GDP compared to the UK

# 1. United States - 1.67%
# 2. United Kingdom - .73%

Source (page 3): http://www.cafonline.org/pdf/International%20Comparisons%20of%20Charitable%20Giving.pdf

As much I despise Bush, I'd like to see other world leaders create a larger marine reserve: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article675363.ece

There are good and bad apples in every society; I try to focus on both rather than on just the bad and generalising and assuming based on those.

True that. But the UK does not have the gun and drug problems of such massive scale like in the US. UK people are more humble and there are less criminals.

Of course we should not generalise, but when 25% of a society has a criminal record and when the president of the country, the best person they can find is an ex drug abuser, when so many of their senators have "experimented with drugs". Now that is one disgusting society.

And to "Thud" - I am not going to harvard reference everyone of my post. If you lack the general knowledge to know what I am saying is true, then its your problem.

Generally I do not reply to kids under 21 Thud, because you are young enough to be my daughter. Have you started taking the bus yourself? Does mommy know you are using this forum on the internet?
Alright I will make a concession for you ,I will lower my age limit to 18 yo, get back to me when you have undergone puberty little girl
Reply 71
Apparition
Congrats. You've singled out a few politicians with bad history. I'm pretty certain that I could dig up plenty of bad history on many former and current British politicians. I could start with Jacqui Smith, Enoch Powell, ...

One of them nuked Japan though.

And which society doesn't have lowlife scums?

I think that you have a major problem with generalising. I'm no pro-American person either but every country has problems. We in Britain are renowned for football hooliganism, we have numerous chavs, extremely classist, we have the highest teen pregnancy rate in Europe, we consume more alcohol per capita than the Americans, etc.

America has a lower level of violent crime than the UK, although you are more likely to get shot, that level of violence only really exists in big cities.

Besides that, they've contributed plenty of positive aspects to the world. They're either first or second in terms of patent filings,

Not surprising considering most of Europe inhabits the US and they have 300 million people.

they have more high-ranked universities than the UK, they produce many Nobel laureates, they're a driving force in technology (they invented the Internet, computer mouse, Google, GPS, flash programming, LEDs, laser, plutonium, transistor, numerous contributions to astronomy, sciences, films, etc.), they created rock & roll, they're a large donor of aid and the world's leading economy.

They did not invent the internet (or at least not as we know it) or the transistor, or even the computer or the light bulb, despite what you might of read. The computer was invented in WWII, at least the first programmable machine for code breaking, but the US doesn't count it on a technicality that it wasn't American. Contrary to popular belief Al Gore didn't invent the internet he just coined the phrase, the scientists at CERN invented the web, and several scientists had already designed the protocol for it not all of whom were American born. You can't invent plutonium either it's a rarely occurring element, you can invent the process of making it, which IIRC is to bombard Uranium with neutrons.

I'm not anti American but the one thing that genuinely irks is when they claim to have invented things or rewrite history, I'm sure after claiming that they invented the computer in spite of it being invented at Bletchley Park, they then added insult to injury with that movie U571: about how the Americans got hold of the first enigma machine and decoded it all without ever really having obtained the first one. I'm sure it's even more insulting if you worked there, or if you lost someone during the war who really served on the ships that recovered enigma devices.

EDIT: by the way when I said parts of the North can be unfriendly like England in general I was sincere, but when I said they had no sanitation or electricity, that was called humour, whoever negged and left no message might try it some time. I'm well aware they have electricty, even if it is worshiped as the angry sky God along side their sun worship and fertility worshipping pantheon and the endemic ritual sacrifice to appease the gods. Northerners have brick structures built outside they naively call crap houses. It is however a primitive form of sanitation.
Reply 72
bamb992
True that. But the UK does not have the gun and drug problems of such massive scale like in the US. UK people are more humble and there are less criminals.

Having lived in America, Britain and on the European continent, the idea that British people are more humble is complete ********. Also, America has a lower crime rate than Britain. That's especially surprising given the comparative levels of laws/police officers in the states.

Of course we should not generalise, but when 25% of a society has a criminal record

Source?

and when the president of the country, the best person they can find is an ex drug abuser, when so many of their senators have "experimented with drugs". Now that is one disgusting society.

Erm, Cameron has done class A's, something which Obama has not. Will your point change when Obama is in office? Doubtful.

Oh, and before you say it, I'm British.
Reply 74
Are you kidding me OP?
America is a brilliant country and i'd love to live there.
I reckon OZ would be wicked fun
Reply 76
bamb992
Of course we should not generalise, but when 25% of a society has a criminal record

Proof of this 25% you claim? I can make up plenty of claims as well you know but some people will want reliable sources.

Until you can support this claim it's rubbish.

when so many of their senators have "experimented with drugs". Now that is one disgusting society.

And until you can prove that so many senators "experimented with drugs" instead of making claims, I don't see your post holding much weight. Reliable sources please...

They did not invent the internet (or at least not as we know it)

Actually, the Internet was invented by the US Department of Defence in the late 1950s and 1960s by such people as Vinton Cerf, Robert E. Kahn and others. It is not the same thing as the World Wide Web.

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/291494/Internet
Source: http://www.iso.port.ac.uk/~mike/docs/internet/internet/node4.html
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6959933.stm
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/01/internet_birthday/
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

or the transistor,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7081270.stm

or even the computer or the light bulb, despite what you might of read. The computer was invented in WWII, at least the first programmable machine for code breaking, but the US doesn't count it on a technicality that it wasn't American.

Where in my post did I say they invented either the computer or light bulb?

Contrary to popular belief Al Gore didn't invent the internet he just coined the phrase, the scientists at CERN invented the web, and several scientists had already designed the protocol for it not all of whom were American born.

Are you confusing the invention of the World Wide Web to the Internet? The Internet was invented LONG before the Web and they are not the same thing. The Internet like pretty much the connection between computers and the Web is the software which runs it.

Scientists at CERN invented the WWW NOT the Internet.

People, please understand the Internet and Web are not the same thing.

You can't invent plutonium either it's a rarely occurring element, you can invent the process of making it, which IIRC is to bombard Uranium with neutrons.

Sorry, I meant the synthetic route for it.

Some of them tend to ignore history I admit that.

Yes, their political system has flaws as well.

Again, I'm not an extremely pro-American but the fact is that they've contributed plenty to the world but some people who have ill will towards them can't seem to accept it. If it wasn't for them the Internet, computer mouse, GPS, flash programming, Google, laser, and so many other things would likely not be made or not be made for quite a while.
Reply 77

Actually, the Internet was invented by the US Department of Defence in the late 1950s and 1960s by such people as Vinton Cerf, Robert E. Kahn and others. It is not the same thing as the World Wide Web.

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/291494/Internet
Source: http://www.iso.port.ac.uk/~mike/docs/internet/internet/node4.html
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6959933.stm
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/01/internet_birthday/
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

I don't deny they programmed a protocol for information sharing, but frankly the internet is worthless on its own. It's the WWW that makes it worthwhile and lets face it anyone can write information sharing software.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7081270.stm

Where in my post did I say they invented either the computer or light bulb?

Examples of more supposed American inventions. Take a look at the WIKI on the subject Beltchley Park doesn't even get a mention, how insulting is that?

Are you confusing the invention of the World Wide Web to the Internet? The Internet was invented LONG before the Web and they are not the same thing. The Internet like pretty much the connection between computers and the Web is the software which runs it.

Scientists at CERN invented the WWW NOT the Internet.

No I'm just saying the internet is worthless in and of itself.

People, please understand the Internet and Web are not the same thing.

Yes I do.

Sorry, I meant the synthetic route for it.

Fair enough.

Some of them tend to ignore history I admit that.

It's beyond arrogant it's offensive.

Again, I'm not an extremely pro-American but the fact is that they've contributed plenty to the world but some people who have ill will towards them can't seem to accept it. If it wasn't for them the Internet, computer mouse, GPS, flash programming, Google, laser, and so many other things would likely not be made or not be made for quite a while.

We know and they have no need to boast about it. We are well aware of how great the US is, but boasting about it demeans themselves. If you are great you don't need some loud mouthed idiots to say it. :biggrin:
bamb992
Generally I do not reply to kids under 21 Thud, because you are young enough to be my daughter. Have you started taking the bus yourself? Does mommy know you are using this forum on the internet?
Alright I will make a concession for you ,I will lower my age limit to 18 yo, get back to me when you have undergone puberty little girl

What the **** are you doing on The Student Room then?
Reply 79
The country is great, but, as lovely as the people are, they drive me up the ******* wall.

Latest

Trending

Trending