The Student Room Group

What is so great about the US?

I dont get the hype. The way I see it, the US is pretty ******.

It is a country filled with guns,drugs, criminals and lowlifes. Every day more people die from gun realated injuries than from traffice accidents. Almost everyone does drugs or has done drug before. Even their president obama was constantly high during his late teens. I recently saw a clip on TV where they were interviewing a few american senators on whether they had done drugs before and most of them admitted they had. One or two of them said they did not and the crowd looked at them with disbelief!

I mean yeah, it is a major military power and there is "liberty". But the problem is that the american obsession with liberty has resulted in a society where people are arrogant and lazy and do not have the humility to even follow the law. American has the highest incaseration rate in the world and 25% of americans have a criminal record!

There are much better countries in the world, even in Europe, that provides higher personal safety, the same level of "liberty", where people are much less arrogant, where the wages are equivalent to the US and where it is much civil and fun.

The UK/ Australia etc etc trumps the US hands down.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
have you been there?
Reply 2
I'd like to see a source on them figures. Particularly the more people die from gun related injuries than car accidents one.
Reply 3
American guys are sooo much better looking than their British counterparts.
Reply 4
fioram
American guys are sooo much better looking than their British counterparts.

Nah, 25% of them are obese. And none of them have Yorkshire accents.
Reply 5
You just seem to be trolling tbh OP

Reply 6
It is the model of a perfect constitutional democracy, worshipping freedom rather than bureaucracy. It is a country of immigrants, all-embracing, all-encompassing, the true multiculturalism. It has a rather nice federal system which means your political representation tends to care about you. Great history. Geographically terrific, with great cities, coastline, skiing, countryside, every type of weather you could wish for. A huge diversity of people, culture, cuisine, dialect....

... all in all, what more could you ask for?
Reply 7
ArtGoblin
Nah, 25% of them are obese. And none of them have Yorkshire accents.

Nearly a third of our adult population is obese. Yorkshire accents grate on me as well. A nice New York drawl lifts me up anyday.
Reply 8
Its not what it used to be say in 2001, the country has really gone downhill, yet it is still pretty awesome. I like it, dont agree with their foregin policy, but as a whole I like it.
Reply 9
(Oh, and I just love the accents!)
Reply 10
i dislike most of the peoples mentality however i love its geography landscape and its native americans!
fioram
Nearly a third of our adult population is obese. Yorkshire accents grate on me as well. A nice New York drawl lifts me up anyday.

It's 17% for British men. :wink:
Reply 13
steed999
i dislike most of the peoples mentality however i love its geography landscape and its native americans!

Agree 100%. I realise it's a huge sweeping statement to say this but I really don't like how americans generally seem to be really over the top and loud :s-smilie: but the actual country - ie the geography, landscapes, the different states etc I find absolutely fascinating :smile:
The women
KFC and that
American Wet Dream
Reply 16
bamb992
I dont get the hype. The way I see it, the US is pretty ******.

It is a country filled with guns,drugs, criminals and lowlifes. Every day more people die from gun realated injuries than from traffice accidents. Almost everyone does drugs or has done drug before. Even their president obama was constantly high during his late teens. I recently saw a clip on TV where they were interviewing a few american senators on whether they had done drugs before and most of them admitted they had. One or two of them said they did not and the crowd looked at them with disbelief!

I mean yeah, it is a major military power and there is "liberty". But the problem is that the american obsession with liberty has resulted in a society where people are arrogant and lazy and do not have the humility to even follow the law. American has the highest incaseration rate in the world and 25% of americans have a criminal record!

There are much better countries in the world, even in Europe, that provides higher personal safety, the same level of "liberty", where people are much less arrogant, where the wages are equivalent to the US and where it is much civil and fun.

The UK/ Australia etc etc trumps the US hands down.

Source? Of course, us europeans are as pure as snow when it comes to drugs :rolleyes:

I think I read somewhere (might be The Economist) that 50% of the adult population in the UK smoked pot at one point in their life.

Also, the people are amazingly nice in the states.
Reply 17
Food in the USA is the best I've ever had (apart from my mum's, of course :wink: ) - I didn't get sick of having buffalo wings and ribs along with each and every dinner. The service in regular shops was quite bad though, not many seemed to have any inclination towards helping choosing what to buy.
bamb992
What is so great about the US?

Nothing much anymore.

There used to be really amazing things, especially compared to the Continental Europe (and the Eastern Bloc, where I'm personally from), but it was, like, '80s and '90s. Since 9/11 this country has been going down slippery slope IMO, and we've got most of the so-called "American stuff" in Europe anyway - bands, food, movies, companies, Disneyland and what-not, hope you get my point

:smile:
Reply 19
1. The Constitution- particularly the Second Amendment.

2. My dad is there.

Latest

Trending

Trending