The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
that's too much. just do a couple of hours a day and you'll be fine.
Reply 21
I did loads of revision for my GCSE's, and did great, but nowhere near as much as that :eek:
lol i dont work that hard and im at oxford pet, you dont need it for gcses....
i would say a solid 5 hours or so 4 or 5 days a week should sort you out...
Harry Potter's sidekick
Here is my timetable for revision in the Easter holidays:

I have 16 days if I start tomorrow (doing 9 hours a day) so will have 144 hours in total. This means I have exactly 13 hours per subject.
Here is the breakdown for my revision on each subject:
First 4.33 hours revision = Reading
Second 4.33 hours revision = Making Revision cards
Last 4.33 hours revision = Memorising

I'm planning on doing one subject in the morning (7.00am till 11.30 a.m.)
and one session on a different topic in the afternoon (12.00pm up until 16.30pm) - obviously including intermittent breaks for food/snacks/breathing!:eek:

Then I am thinking of doing light revision in the evenings, going over the subject exams in the closest proximity.

What do you think...? What is your revision strategy?

holy crap I realised that this is for GCSE's
are you out of your mind because trust me theres probably no better way to do yourself over, you'd most likely forget everything
what I would do is revise for short periods of time e.g. half an hour as frequently as possible going over the stuff learnt before that way it will stick in your head better
but 9 hours a day is just silly, its not realistic, and as someone posted before if you need to revise that much for GCSE's then you'll be as shocked as **** when A levels come,
as for Medicine, i was also aware that my GCSE's needed to be decent to apply for med school, they arent everything but they are leverage
so well done for being commited but you need to be realistic
Harry Potter's sidekick

I have 16 days if I start tomorrow (doing 9 hours a day) so will have 144 hours in total. This means I have exactly 13 hours per subject.

and one session on a different topic in the afternoon (12.00pm up until 16.30pm) - obviously including intermittent breaks for food/snacks/breathing!:eek:

Then I am thinking of doing light revision in the evenings, going over the subject exams in the closest proximity.

Do not do this! I did something similar for my mocks and i completely screwed up! Im just glad it wasn't the real thing. For the real thing i revised but i didnt wear myself out and i did much better!

Relax and take it easy besides your concentration spam is only like for 30 minutes or something.
Take the advise of one of my teachers, and don't wash yourself out before the exams, 9 hours a day is completely ridiculous by any measure, and if you do that much you are basically signing your death warrant. If you are moderately clever you should only need to revise for about 1 to 2 hours per day. If you wish to guage yourself against someone like me who has a very good memory, I'm doing about 30 minutes per day for French and German speacking revision, and on and off doing past exam questions for Maths and History. Another thing you need to be wary of is that your schedule doesn't pay any notice past papers, even though they are the most effective method of revision. This is especially important for subjects like English and History where exam technique is key.
Reply 27
well im doing my alevels and i stuy no more than 2 hours a day.
Reply 28
No, poor move IMO. If you think you need this much revision for an amazing set of grades, then fine, work hard. I know it works for many people, working hard pays off. But, 9hrs is too much. Maybe 6 as a target, with anything over as a bonus?

I'd also do one subject a day instead. Plus, I doubt reading is going to do a lot really. I'd write notes, then maybe go on to doing PPQs, and then work out what you didn't know and go over it from your notes again. This will mean you'll be aware of what you need to know for exam in terms of the key parts of the syllabus, whilst the process of writing it out will be beneficial.
Harry Potter's sidekick
HAHAHAH - well in the future, I want to get into a really good University to pursue a career in the medicine field. Many Universities, accepting medics, require A*s at GCSE. Looking at it from that perspective, I don't think my revision timetable is THAT extreme...

I also enjoy revising :woo: (most of the time)

Yeah, but you can get a bunch of A* with next to no revision. I did at most an hour the night before and came out with 6A*, 2As and a B. Sure, I could've worked a lot harder and possibly achieved all A* but I still don't think I could no matter how much work I put in because the subjects I didn't get A* in I just wasn't particularly good at.

Your timetable is extreme for GCSEs. They're really not difficult at all and 9 hours a day is total overkill.
Harry Potter's sidekick
Yes, I'm not looking forward to that aspect of Adanced level and everything above it. I've heard quite a lot about Chemistry A level. People always complain that Chemistry is one of the hardest A level subjects - I surely won't have much control over my knowledge on this subject if I fail to understand the key concepts :frown: . I'm hoping I don't fall victim to this incompetence. :cool: :yep:

Physics and further maths just about pip Chemistry as well.
That's one hell of a lot, but whatever floats your boat.
If you feel it's necessary, so be it, but don't tire yourself too much.
I revised the day before for practically all my subjects, if anything, and I didn't do too badly.
OP is this for Easter revision? That's loads if it is. Unless your exams are actually in 16 days I think it'll be a bad idea to do so much in a day. You probably know a lot more than you think. Have you started past papers yet?

It's been so long since I did my GCSEs. When do they mainly start (apart from orals and stuff)?
144 hours in less than 3 weeks for GCSE's?
Do you seriously know nothing?
Woah that's a bit over the top.

Where's the time to see friends or go out? This is your last year before you start hard work - just enjoy yourself.
Harry Potter's sidekick

If you actually do that for GCSEs, you will die at A level. Not to mention it's Easter...take a break! I went on holiday for all of Easter, didn't do any work, often went out in the evenings/to parties and came out with 5A*s, 5 As and a B at AS- I just revised harder after Easter. Is your first exam a speaking exam? For GCSE, you really don't need that much revision. However I wrote out possible answers for all my questions at GCSE- and somehow, remembered them, without that much revision. It's a lot easier to take info in if you take breaks inbetween, believe me, and GCSEs aren't that hard to get good marks in. If you're bright you won't need to do excessive amounts.
Reply 36
you have to be a natural to score A*s tbf
Reply 37
lrH5
Are you crazy.
Trust me, the people who get all A*s don't do this, it tires them out.
I got all A*s (not bragging, lol) and I didn't do this at all.
GCSE unfortunately is last minute cramming. Sure it's always helpful to revise a little bit each day, but when it comes down to it, the most productive revision sessions are a week, two weeks max before the exam. With so many subjects it's really the best way to do it. For history for example, I revised the day before and did well. I'm not suggesting you do this, but in the exam i could remember everything as that is what I focused on the night before.

My advice, do only these two things:
MEMORISE
Past Papers

I'm no pro at A levels, but I certainly perfected the art of GCSEs. Oh and revision sticks in your head in the evenings, you have time to think over it. It's in the mornings you should be having fun...if possible :smile:. But seriously, don't overload yourself.

right on :smile:

you've gotta be HUMAN

i mean, whoa if you can actually make yourself do that much revision, but there's a limit to how much a 15/16 year old brain can take before they
a) give up
b) get distracted

and pleeeeaaassseeee make sure you have breaks!!!! They dont have to be longer than 10 minutes, but you NEED breaks

im doin my GCSEs this summer too, so good luck!!!
xxxx
Right. Well, only you know how much work you need to do. Some people have to work harder than others to get the same grade.

But if you're doing nine hours a day, then I'm sorry but I think you must be quite thick to start with.

I never did anymore than four hours a day, often I did just two, my plan was to do two lots of 1.5 hour sessions each day but I rarely stuck to it. Some days I just half-heartedly scanned a textbook. I stopped either when I was comfortable, or when I was just too lazy to do anymore. And I got nine A*s. To get the best grades you just ahve to let things flow naturally, and if you're putting too much pressure on yourself then it's too restrictive. Do as much as you feel comfortable with and no more.

If you're having to do such an excessive amount of work to get those grades at GCSE, I'd seriously consider whether you actually want to do medicine. If it doesn't come fairly naturally, you will struggle and burn out and that would be a shame. Stick to what you're good at. Being good at revising won't get you as far at uni as it might at GCSE if you're ont actually good at the subject to begin with. If you have a flare for something, run with it, don't flog yourself.
just remember technique is key for the arts and practice papers for the sciences, so make sure you go through quite a few questions in that time

Latest