The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Turdburger
Yes please

Just pidge it to me. I'll make sure it's well spent.
King_Duncan
I wouldn't call it NIMBYism, seeing as most members of Ebbes would probably like to ban lap dancing clubs nationwide. But it's certainly social conservatism. Is that a bad thing in this case?

Yes
Everyone at home is complaining of snow and all we get is this swimming pool of water dropped on us.

Oxford really is its own microclimate.
Reply 5983
I tried to sign up to attend this Philip Pullman talk in 6th week, and I sent them an email literally five minutes after the original email was sent out. I just got this email from [email protected]

"Dear all,

Because of unprecedented interest in the Masterclass I regret to inform you that you and your guests have not been successful in securing a place. I apologise for any disappointment.

Best wishes,

Simon"

I'm confused - who's the "all"? And I don't really understand how I haven't got a place if I sent the email so early...

Did anyone else here try to sign up?
Reply 5984
bysshe
I tried to sign up to attend this Philip Pullman talk in 6th week, and I sent them an email literally five minutes after the original email was sent out. I just got this email from [email protected]

"Dear all,

Because of unprecedented interest in the Masterclass I regret to inform you that you and your guests have not been successful in securing a place. I apologise for any disappointment.

Best wishes,

Simon"

I'm confused - who's the "all"? And I don't really understand how I haven't got a place if I sent the email so early...

Did anyone else here try to sign up?

Perhaps they just didn't like your name?
Reply 5985
Teebs
Perhaps they just didn't like your name?

Perhaps. :frown: Or maybe they have something against St Catz. Those are really the only things they could judge me on, based on my email! It's all very mysterious.
eta: ignore me saying i had a place, checked again and i had the same message saying i didn't get a place either. weird. maybe it was advertised elsewhere before the eug mailing list got it?
Reply 5987
tigrrmilk
eta: ignore me saying i had a place, checked again and i had the same message saying i didn't get a place either. weird. maybe it was advertised elsewhere before the eug mailing list got it?

I suppose that must be it...ugh, I'm disappointed. I really wanted to see him, and I haven't got much to look forward to in 6th week!
Haven't got that email and I did sign up...I'll check again...who's it from?
Im having a tute with somebody from a different college in 7th weej -- how alternative. My last tute ever. 10 days away
Reply 5990
Turdburger
Im having a tute with somebody from a different college in 7th weej -- how alternative. My last tute ever. 10 days away

All my German tutes are with somebody from a different college! Last term they were with a guy from Brasenose, now they're with somebody from Pembroke. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm the only Germanist at Merton...
Right, final run of my play tonight. I am way too happy/tired to go through the emotional rollercoaster again, and am losing my voice...never mind.
Reply 5992
Teebs
Wasn't me! If it had been I'd have been there to tell you of atheism.

"Have you heard the good news?! Your life is meaningless, you're just a somewhat intelligent biological machine. When you die that's the end and your body simply rots. Love, joy and morality are just the result of the chemical impulses in the squishy biological computer that is you. Also kittens are fake, sunshine gives you cancer and there is no good, only power. Would you like to make a donation?"

You should set up shop next to the Bible guy on Cornmarket. Twould be funny. :biggrin:
Reply 5993
Turdburger

An external tutor? Yeah, we had one of those... literally weeks before finals :biggrin:
Reply 5994
cpchem
An external tutor? Yeah, we had one of those... literally weeks before finals :biggrin:

Is there something unusual about that? Most of mine were. I think all four of my finals options papers were taught externally and two of my core modules too (although that external tutor came to us).
Reply 5995
Teebs
Is there something unusual about that? Most of mine were. I think all four of my finals options papers were taught externally and two of my core modules too (although that external tutor came to us).

The majority of chemistry tutors feel comfortable enough in teaching their whole branch of the subject. Some of the more obscure physical options are taught departmentally, but most academic staff will teach right through from prelims to finals without hesitation.
Reply 5996
cpchem
The majority of chemistry tutors feel comfortable enough in teaching their whole branch of the subject. Some of the more obscure physical options are taught departmentally, but most academic staff will teach right through from prelims to finals without hesitation.

Just shows how much more complicated PPE is than any of that science rubbish :p: It probably didn't help that I chose obscure options papers.
Reply 5997
Teebs
Just shows how much more complicated PPE is than any of that science rubbish :p: It probably didn't help that I chose obscure options papers.

Or... that science rubbish is so difficult that it takes three years to learn the basics before you can do the interesting stuff? :wink:
I had only 2 (out of 8) finals papers taught in college. And one of those I shared with a guy from Trinity...

I think it's a lot more common in some subjects than others to go outside college. MFL always seemed to be internally taught, so it's not just an arts/science divide I don't think...
Reply 5999
Feefifofum
I think it's a lot more common in some subjects than others to go outside college. MFL always seemed to be internally taught, so it's not just an arts/science divide I don't think...

Nooo, MFL is often spread around. I don't think there's a single college that has tutors for all the languages, though I might be wrong. I go to Brasenose for my German tutes, as do people from Pembroke, and there was a guy from New who had Spanish tutes at Merton - they all get shared around loads.

Latest

Trending

Trending