The Student Room Group

This Summer

Hey all. I'm off on a tour of europe during this summer before i go to uni. Going to Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Various places in Poland, Prague, Kutna Hora, Bratislava and Budapest. I am going with a friend and as two young females going away alone for 4 weeks...has anyone got any tips for us regarding safety, organisation etc? Plus, any recommendations of places to visit? Anyone else doing anything exciting before they go to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
4 weeks doesn't seem a lot to visit all those places.
Reply 2
In stockholm, go to vasa museum, skansen, and the tivoli called grona lund, all are in the same area called DJURGÅRDEN. how long are you staying in stockholm for??
Reply 3
in paris go to the champs elysees (get off at RER or metro charles de gaulle etoille) and just wander all the way down. very nice walk. if you fancy a bit of arty culture then i would AVOID the louvre (hard to navigate, hot and generally very busy - just not very enjoyable), try the Musee D'orsay instead - much nicer. the latin quarter is quite nice, the area around notre dame is good to walk around.
Reply 4
oh and la defense is a bit *****.
Reply 5
Paris- its ok. Worth seeing.
Vienna- I found it a bit boring really.
Copenhagen- expensive.
Stockholm- ditto.
Various places in Poland- where in poland? krakow is particularly nice.
Prague- I enjoyed prague a lot, would go back.
Kutna Hora- apparently its awesome.
Bratislava- a dump. Don't bother going there.
Budapest- pretty nice place :smile:

I went on a similarish trip in august 04- pics of which are up on www.loopymongo.com/spgm . Try asking on thorntree.lonelyplanet.com for more advice about the places (and get a copy of europe on a shoestring if you don't already have one :smile:).
Go to the Eiffel Tower at night - it lights up around 10 and makes fantastic viewing.
Reply 7
if you have any questions about Prague, feel free to ask :smile:
angeldelight
Hey all. I'm off on a tour of europe during this summer before i go to uni. Going to Paris, Vienna, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Various places in Poland, Prague, Kutna Hora, Bratislava and Budapest. I am going with a friend and as two young females going away alone for 4 weeks...has anyone got any tips for us regarding safety, organisation etc? Plus, any recommendations of places to visit? Anyone else doing anything exciting before they go to uni?

If you're going to Poland (my home country) you most certainly have to go to Kraków. Remember that Poland is not a particularly safe place to be alone, especially during the night. It is pretty easy to get your ass kicked by some guyz wearing adidas track suits. Second advise dont even consider going to Poland by car. Polish roads will kill it and Polish drivers are crazy bastards. Visit Warsaw, nice place but dangerous as all capitals.
In Poland you have everything, the biggest aggregation of lakes in the whole Europe is on the north east (I lived there, its beautiful during the summer, nearly whole area is covered with forests and very clean lakes and rivers so you may have a canoe trip and stuff), we have mountains on the south, coal mines on the south west (if youre interested:P), baltic see on the north (Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot are three particularly popular places). So choose whatever you like:P

So my advices are:
-never show off- man in track suits love it
-dont take your car- it will be damaged and you may have a lot unpleasant memories of polish drivers
-if you want to aks for info- ask students and youth, only they know english (pretty well actually)
-keep all your valuable stuff with u

Above will certainly put u off but on the other hand:
-Poland is one the best places to be during the summer, wherever u go there are parties
-U have an extremely wide variety of choice, even though its not a 5star hotel u will have great fun
-If u plan to go to the north Masurian region (lakes) mail me if u want, ill be there whole summer so may show u a lot of cool stuff to do:P [email protected]
-U will not spend a lot of money-> 7 polish zloty= 1pund-> pizza costs 15zl, bread- 2zl, night in a youth hostel- 30-50 zl

Have a great time!!!
Reply 9
Hey thanks everybody!
All thats been really useful :smile: will certainly consider going to the lakes in Poland, we hadnt thought of that! And considering what was sed about the Louvre, we may well avoid there! hehe.
I know 4 weeks isnt long, we are only spending between 3 and 5 days in each place. A whistle stop tour really! We were going to do 6 weeks but we want to be back for results day!

Any more advice is welcome :smile:
Reply 10
Hiya - I went last summer before uni too. It was the same as you, with two girls on their own. We didn't really have any problems with safety though - you've just to do the logical things, like watch your bags like a hawk and keep valuables on you at all times. We met quite a few people on the way who'd had cameras/ money stolen either out and about and at hostels.

As for places to go - I went to Prague, Krakow (one of my favourite places), Budapest, Brasov and Sighisoara in Romania, Zagreb, Bratislava, Vienna and Kutna Hora. Kutna Hora is def only worth visiting for a day - If you're short on time Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic is much much better. Keep in mind that Eastern Europe is much much cheaper too. Vienna is really really expensive to visit, and Copenhagen/Stockholm probably will be too. I loved everywhere I went!

The most important thing though, if you're going in August you want to book ahead for a place to stay (not months in advance, just before you get there!) Try hostelworld.com, thats really good. Someone we met failed to book ahead in Vienna and ended up paying 100 euros for somewhere to stay - not good!
i'm going to greece for 2 weeks and then working the rest of the hols :p:
Reply 12
I'm gonna be working hopefully all the holiday and for the rest of my working life!! i'm also going to be a bridesmaid at a country and western themed wedding!! yee hah:ridinghor
What attracts people to travelling around these countries?

I just can't see the attraction of going round all these cities - notorious for attacks/theft etc???
Reply 14
hostelworld is a damn good site to book beds on- I ended up staying in a place in vienna which had ac/satellite tv for about 18 euros a night :biggrin:.

Davie_Moyes- you'll only get screwed over if you don't watch where you go, the people you meet etc. Just be slightly cautious and you'll be fine. Polish roads are really, really bad though, especially after the relative luxury of the german autobahns.
Reply 15
Davie_Moyes
What attracts people to travelling around these countries?

I just can't see the attraction of going round all these cities - notorious for attacks/theft etc???

they're beautiful, there's a lot of different history and culture...cheap to travel in and i personally want to see as much of europe as i can before i go further afield, i think it's important to appreciate our own continent :smile:

somewhere like south america is more dangerous from a traveller's POV, i think.
angeldelight
Oh wow I'm jealous! Actually I haven't even finished college yet lol :redface: But am planning on taking a year out after I finish school for sure...

If I don't get to, I will for sure after uni or something.

Ur lucky anyway :mad: :biggrin:
Ynox

I went on a similarish trip in august 04- pics of which are up on www.loopymongo.com/spgm . Try asking on thorntree.lonelyplanet.com for more advice about the places (and get a copy of europe on a shoestring if you don't already have one :smile:).

Cool pics.. where was this one taken?
Reply 18
Mysterious_123
Oh wow I'm jealous! Actually I haven't even finished college yet lol :redface: But am planning on taking a year out after I finish school for sure...

If I don't get to, I will for sure after uni or something.

Ur lucky anyway :mad: :biggrin:

Hehe, yeah, it was lucky actually cos i wanted to travel for a few weeks but had no-one to go with. Just turned out sumone from school was interested in a similar trip and also had no-one to go with! I cant wait, its gonna be great. A bit of advice tho, start planning it early! we thought we had ages n its only a few months away n we have very little firmly planned.
Reply 19
Hey, you are from Poland. Do you know anyone who wants to be an au pair?

www.aupaircompany.com

:smile:

pole_from_swede
If you're going to Poland (my home country) you most certainly have to go to Kraków. Remember that Poland is not a particularly safe place to be alone, especially during the night. It is pretty easy to get your ass kicked by some guyz wearing adidas track suits. Second advise dont even consider going to Poland by car. Polish roads will kill it and Polish drivers are crazy bastards. Visit Warsaw, nice place but dangerous as all capitals.
In Poland you have everything, the biggest aggregation of lakes in the whole Europe is on the north east (I lived there, its beautiful during the summer, nearly whole area is covered with forests and very clean lakes and rivers so you may have a canoe trip and stuff), we have mountains on the south, coal mines on the south west (if youre interested:P), baltic see on the north (Gdansk, Gdynia and Sopot are three particularly popular places). So choose whatever you like:P

So my advices are:
-never show off- man in track suits love it
-dont take your car- it will be damaged and you may have a lot unpleasant memories of polish drivers
-if you want to aks for info- ask students and youth, only they know english (pretty well actually)
-keep all your valuable stuff with u

Above will certainly put u off but on the other hand:
-Poland is one the best places to be during the summer, wherever u go there are parties
-U have an extremely wide variety of choice, even though its not a 5star hotel u will have great fun
-If u plan to go to the north Masurian region (lakes) mail me if u want, ill be there whole summer so may show u a lot of cool stuff to do:P [email protected]
-U will not spend a lot of money-> 7 polish zloty= 1pund-> pizza costs 15zl, bread- 2zl, night in a youth hostel- 30-50 zl

Have a great time!!!

Latest