The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey does anyone know if Ljubljana in Slovenia is worth going to! were starting off in Prague and workin our way down through poland, slovakia,hungary, croatia and on to iatly and then greece! any tips???
Reply 21
Definitely go to Poland (I am biased, that is my homecountry). Slovenia is a nice country, if you have time go there. Remember that everything in eastern europe is much cheper than in UK and the farer you go east the cheaper things become (roughly). Enjoy, seems like great holidays to me :smile:.
I've been to Poland! I went to Warsaw and Krakow and a few small towns and I loved it! I think it's a really beautiful country and it is really cheap as well which always helps. Krakow is absolutely gorgeous and I didn't have any trouble at all. I have heard there are a lot of pickpockets though. My sister went to Prague last year and was surrounded by a gang of pickpockets on the tram. It was quite scary for her. Just make sure you split your money up etc and you'll be fine. I'm so jealous- I'd love to go on a trip like that!
Reply 23
Brian2kie
Hey does anyone know if Ljubljana in Slovenia is worth going to! were starting off in Prague and workin our way down through poland, slovakia,hungary, croatia and on to iatly and then greece! any tips???

From what I've heard you'd be better off going to Lake Bled than Ljubljana itself. How long are you going for that seems a lot of places? + also keep in mind that the trains are RUBBISH in Croatia, so look at getting coaches. :smile:
oOo im in exmas at mo - buuuuuuuuuut if anyone can help b great! im looking to travel between now and uni - sorta during summer in july/august...

So far ive been thinking, i love differnt culture n places (im doing russian studies at uni - so next summer its 1 month in russia, then 3rd yr abroad there! so this be good to explore this summer), and weell so far ive got the following:

1) some money...got enuff to go about i guess,
2) been thinking of somewhere like prague - cheap enuff and be great!..

But if anyone can give suggestions - im looking europe/middleeast (possibly)/Asia direction, not too expensive and be travelling alone...any suggestions or help b great! is a bit late but dont bother me...be such fun!
pandemonium
oOo im in exmas at mo - buuuuuuuuuut if anyone can help b great! im looking to travel between now and uni - sorta during summer in july/august...

So far ive been thinking, i love differnt culture n places (im doing russian studies at uni - so next summer its 1 month in russia, then 3rd yr abroad there! so this be good to explore this summer), and weell so far ive got the following:

1) some money...got enuff to go about i guess,
2) been thinking of somewhere like prague - cheap enuff and be great!..

But if anyone can give suggestions - im looking europe/middleeast (possibly)/Asia direction, not too expensive and be travelling alone...any suggestions or help b great! is a bit late but dont bother me...be such fun!

Prague is very cheap i think, really wanted to go there, but i'm going island hopping in greece instead. But Thailand is cheap! May cost a bit to fly out there this time of year, but really really cheap out there. You could go interrailing around eastern europe.
ladydeborah
Prague is very cheap i think, really wanted to go there, but i'm going island hopping in greece instead. But Thailand is cheap! May cost a bit to fly out there this time of year, but really really cheap out there. You could go interrailing around eastern europe.

oOo ive heard bout this interrailing thing - erm but what is it? how do u organise/do...how long it last...aaaand the million dollar (or not hehe) question...how much it all cost...?

lotsa questions - any help b great!
Thailand b good as well...not thought about that...tho dunno on its costs...getting the most outta the smalled amound money b my way! whats ur greece island hoping plans?
x
pandemonium
oOo ive heard bout this interrailing thing - erm but what is it? how do u organise/do...how long it last...aaaand the million dollar (or not hehe) question...how much it all cost...?

lotsa questions - any help b great!
Thailand b good as well...not thought about that...tho dunno on its costs...getting the most outta the smalled amound money b my way! whats ur greece island hoping plans?
x

STA Travel do interrailing, and have just lowered their prices. If you don't know the website, it's www.statravel.co.uk
There are 3 types of interrailing in europe. Basically, for a set price you are given a train ticket which will take you anywhere in your chosen zone(s). You can do 1 zone, which is a small group of countries, such as Spain, Portugal and north Morocco, or France, Belguim and the Netherlands. That is £145 for 16 days. Any 2 zones is two zone 1's (if that makes sense), and is £205 for 22 days. Then the most expensive (obviously) is any zones for a month, which is £285. Here is the link for that: http://www.statravel.co.uk/c_busandrail/europe_interrail.asp STA will help you, either over the phone, in store, or online. All you have to do is pay for accommodation in youth hostels/campsites/etc, and food and fun, and to get to the start and back to England. The train ticket doesn't include any in England, or the flight/eurostar there and back.

Thailand is cheap, if you had to you could live off £2 a day, but £5 a day is more reasonable, that includes accommodation, food and drink, etc. The flights is around £450-£550 to Bangkok and back. And transport over there is quite cheap too.

Hopefully i'll be doing island-hopping, even though when i took a ferry in Hong Kong a few months ago, i was very very sea sick! But hopefully we'll be spending a few expensive days in Athens, then go onto Zante, and up the western islands to Corfu. What i would really love to do is nip over to Italy, but no one else is up for that. I have a friend already in Zante giving windsurfing lessons, so we are definately going there to grab some free lessons!

Hope you managed to find something suitable! =D
Thailand is amazing... we were there 1 month ago and I would totally recommend it to you! I would say that 2-5 pounds a day is incredibly conservative, though. I'd make sure that I had at least 10 pounds per day at the least; though I'm sure it's possible to get by on less!

Have also been to Krakow and Warsaw in Poland. We hated Warsaw and loved Krakow. It's a very different experience to SE Asia, though, and, given the choice, I'd choose SE Asia for people our age - it's kind of a 'rites of passage' thing. Great weather, uber cheap, cool people, new culture, parties, festivals, elephant treks... you have to go there! :wink:
Reply 29
im going interrailin around eastern europe wit a few mates in august!! it is quite cheap apparently in eastern europe but the trains arent great! and apparently travellin is long and tiresome but i cant wait! gonna make the most of it no matter wat!!

check out www.interrail.net and www.interrail.co.uk

anyone else doin interrailin in EAstern europe in august?
Reply 30
I don't like the idea of staying in a hostel, much rather spend the extra £ and stay in a hotel :p: but anyways yeah I'm working full time (hopefully) in September and I'm going to Zante in October for a week (costing £500 but it's a five star hotel! :smile:)

I would love to do the whole travelling thing but apart from the fact I have no-one to do it with I don't think I could stay in hostels so it would cost me a packet, but at some point I may try it. Gotta get my career sorted first though!
Brian2kie
im going interrailin around eastern europe wit a few mates in august!! it is quite cheap apparently in eastern europe but the trains arent great! and apparently travellin is long and tiresome but i cant wait! gonna make the most of it no matter wat!!

check out www.interrail.net and www.interrail.co.uk

anyone else doin interrailin in EAstern europe in august?

I'm goin interrailin Eastern Europe in August!... 6 of us goin after our exams and b4 results day.... sooo excited now :smile:
Reply 32
im going to work in a romanian orphange with school and then go to france, spain, with m8s, then have a shoulder operation, recover 4 a week and then go to bombay/mumbai then hong kong to relax
Reply 33
Princess Leia
I'm goin interrailin Eastern Europe in August!... 6 of us goin after our exams and b4 results day.... sooo excited now :smile:

cool!! theres 5 of us! jetting off on the 1st of august till the 24th!

where bouts yas goin??
oOo thx for replies!

Tho the person who said Warsaw you didnt like? can i ask why? just i have *developed* (lol) the following idea:

Get cheap air/coach ticket to prague, then stay for while, (hostels etc..in the cheap ya know!) theeen get train ticket to Poland and stay at Krakow or Warsaw (oOo even both! new development people!) thats why asked why you prefered one..., then take a flight/coach home which either...have booked already...or not...(which recommend?)

Aaaand if anyone can help: like roughly whats the living costs in each - hostels and cheap food and drink and taking into account going out, as this will limit how long i stay in each place! (important espec if flexibility stopped via prebooked ticket to go back to uk again)... *choice choices choices* great irony is i got 4 hrs of exams on friday! haha...should be concentrating on them...*should* be...heh... Well thx for any help!
O and (another) point heh, if i was to go to prague then move onto poland - would u recomend a train between (thinking be good experience) and if so how much is this/should i book when in prague...?

Aaaaaaand if anyone can point me/push me in the direction/push me over in general for writing too long a post hehe, in the direction of finding decent/cheap (or a combination of both! *shock*) travel insurance then yays! thx

merci peeps! (see...used my gcse french there...*great* practise for when im in..prague...? doh! hehe) x
Reply 35
post office does really cheap travel insurance. :smile:
lawrence4
post office does really cheap travel insurance. :smile:

yays thx! ill look into that...tho cos im inpatient (at the moment..ill learn lol) u ne idea how much it is? thx
Reply 37
i'd love to go to all these places sounds amazing, really. BUt got noone to go with, and do not wanna go on my own. I have tried asking people but they are all a bit reluctant, some or going to parents villas/flats but not really very fun. sooo jealous of all of you. meant ot be working now got another two exams toms....
Reply 38
I'm not 100% sure but it cost me £20 for a week in Greece, £10 if under 18 and the cover was good enough - from mugging to accidents, I think I saw a special one advertised for all over Europe, think it was aimed at gappers/ travellers but I didn't look into it. Just go in and ask, or you could maybe check their website.
pandemonium
oOo thx for replies!

Tho the person who said Warsaw you didnt like? can i ask why? just i have *developed* (lol) the following idea:

Get cheap air/coach ticket to prague, then stay for while, (hostels etc..in the cheap ya know!) theeen get train ticket to Poland and stay at Krakow or Warsaw (oOo even both! new development people!) thats why asked why you prefered one..., then take a flight/coach home which either...have booked already...or not...(which recommend?)

Aaaand if anyone can help: like roughly whats the living costs in each - hostels and cheap food and drink and taking into account going out, as this will limit how long i stay in each place! (important espec if flexibility stopped via prebooked ticket to go back to uk again)... *choice choices choices* great irony is i got 4 hrs of exams on friday! haha...should be concentrating on them...*should* be...heh... Well thx for any help!
O and (another) point heh, if i was to go to prague then move onto poland - would u recomend a train between (thinking be good experience) and if so how much is this/should i book when in prague...?

Aaaaaaand if anyone can point me/push me in the direction/push me over in general for writing too long a post hehe, in the direction of finding decent/cheap (or a combination of both! *shock*) travel insurance then yays! thx

merci peeps! (see...used my gcse french there...*great* practise for when im in..prague...? doh! hehe) x

When i went around europe, i found that this hostel site was quite good, it even rates the places and has comments: www.hosteleurope.com (or hostelworld if you want other places).

For travel insurance, i just got mine from STA, was from £18 for a backpacker and up to £28 for premium, for a month.

Latest