The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
Hmm.. I guess if you've already decided where you're applying then you might as well not go to save the £ but if you're unsure and stuck between a few places, it'd be worth going to help you make your decision :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
The other thing to point out is that we can never guarantee that someone will get their choice of residence (although over 75% of people do). So if you come up, fall in love with somewhere and then you don't get it (because everybody else loved it too and it's oversubscribed), you might really regret spending the money.
Having said that, it's usually quite a good day and it's nice to see places (because even if you don't get your choice, you may well get somewhere that you've seen) - but whether it's £70 nice has to be up to you, I'm afraid :s-smilie: .
Have you seen the leedsstudentlife.co.uk website - that has more pictures of the accommodation so might help you, and we're doing more photos next week anyway which will go up on the accommodation website within the next month or so.
And you can look at google street view - although you can't see into the residences (because they're not on public roads), it does give you a bit of an idea. All the postcodes are on the residence pages on the website so you should be able to find them.
Hope this has helped and not made you even more indecisive!
Reply 3
Is all the catered accommodation really oversubscribed? I 've also heard that places like Lyddon and Ellerslie fill up with international students and students with unconditional offersx
Reply 4
Hey accomoffice, are concept place or leodis oversusbscribed? And could we specify somewhere in the application what our second choice would be if we didn't get our preferred one?
Reply 5
Indeed,

I was looking at some other posts which said that Henry Price and Devonshire are the most oversubscribed. Also that we only get a first choice and then it's preferences like ensuite, catered, social activities and so on. Hope that helps x
Reply 6
accomoffice
The other thing to point out is that we can never guarantee that someone will get their choice of residence (although over 75% of people do). So if you come up, fall in love with somewhere and then you don't get it (because everybody else loved it too and it's oversubscribed), you might really regret spending the money.
Having said that, it's usually quite a good day and it's nice to see places (because even if you don't get your choice, you may well get somewhere that you've seen) - but whether it's £70 nice has to be up to you, I'm afraid :s-smilie: .
Have you seen the leedsstudentlife.co.uk website - that has more pictures of the accommodation so might help you, and we're doing more photos next week anyway which will go up on the accommodation website within the next month or so.
And you can look at google street view - although you can't see into the residences (because they're not on public roads), it does give you a bit of an idea. All the postcodes are on the residence pages on the website so you should be able to find them.
Hope this has helped and not made you even more indecisive!

Thanks for the help, that website is pretty useful :smile: ..still deciding though!
photojam
Is all the catered accommodation really oversubscribed? I 've also heard that places like Lyddon and Ellerslie fill up with international students and students with unconditional offersx

This year, I think catered will be quite oversubscribed because we don't have Charles Morris Hall while it's being redeveloped.
Although those international students that want catered accommodation will tend to choose Ellerslie or Lyddon, most international students (huge generalisation coming up!) prefer self-catered. So no, it doesn''t "fill up" with international students.
And the way we deal with unconditinal students is that we set aside a certain percentage of the accommodation. So, for example, if we know that about 20% of new undergraduates will have unconditional offers, then we set aside 20% of each residence for them. Otherwise, people with conditional offers would never have a chance of places like Dev, Henry Price, James Baillie, Ellerslie or Lyddon.
But remember that both Lyddon and Ellerslie are quite small anyway so there are simply less places available.

Hope that helps!
indeed
Hey accomoffice, are concept place or leodis oversusbscribed? And could we specify somewhere in the application what our second choice would be if we didn't get our preferred one?

Photojam is right in that Henry Price and Dev are the most oversubscribed. Leodis is a bit oversubscribed and it's really difficult for me to comment on Concept because it was new to us last year so nobody knew to apply for it.
Although there isn't strictly anywhere to put a second choice, if you have a very strong preference, you could put it in the "other" section on last screen of the application (where it asks which factors are important to you). BUT, I can't promise that we would be able to take it into account as we have such a short time to get everybody allocated after the A level results. And anyway, the order in which you put your factors should help to sort out what other place would be most suitable for you.
Reply 9
photojam
Indeed,

I was looking at some other posts which said that Henry Price and Devonshire are the most oversubscribed. Also that we only get a first choice and then it's preferences like ensuite, catered, social activities and so on. Hope that helps x

Thank you! :smile:

accomoffice
Photojam is right in that Henry Price and Dev are the most oversubscribed. Leodis is a bit oversubscribed and it's really difficult for me to comment on Concept because it was new to us last year so nobody knew to apply for it.
Although there isn't strictly anywhere to put a second choice, if you have a very strong preference, you could put it in the "other" section on last screen of the application (where it asks which factors are important to you). BUT, I can't promise that we would be able to take it into account as we have such a short time to get everybody allocated after the A level results. And anyway, the order in which you put your factors should help to sort out what other place would be most suitable for you.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 10
How popular is Clarence Dock?
BTCC Fan
How popular is Clarence Dock?

Reasonably but not overwhelmingly - most people who choose Clarence stand a pretty good chance of getting it (although there will always be exceptions - we might have too many girls applying, for instance, so have to place some girls elsewhere to even up numbers, or someone might want a quiet flat or a smoking flat and we might have run out)
Reply 12
is James Baille oversubscribed too? I loved it there.
Reply 13
if leeds is your insurance are you guaranteed accommodation?
& how likely if its put an insurance is it on average that you could get allocated devonshire, henry price etc ? thanks :smile:
Bexx
& how likely if its put an insurance is it on average that you could get allocated devonshire, henry price etc ? thanks :smile:

I could be entirely wrong (and accom office should give me a stern telling off if I am :eek3: ) but in the back of my mind somewhere I remember reading/seeing "every first year undergraduate is guaranteed University accommodation". This probably means it includes those who choose Leeds as an insurance too.

Not sure about your second question. Never known whether or not they prioritise to those who choose Leeds as a firm. Expect an answer soon though :yep:
Reply 15
TheWizard
I could be entirely wrong (and accom office should give me a stern telling off if I am :eek3: ) but in the back of my mind somewhere I remember reading/seeing "every first year undergraduate is guaranteed University accommodation". This probably means it includes those who choose Leeds as an insurance too.

Not sure about your second question. Never known whether or not they prioritise to those who choose Leeds as a firm. Expect an answer soon though :yep:

thank you :smile:
Bexx

The Wizard is right (and thus escapes a stern telling off :p: ) - you are guaranteed accommodation if you put Leeds as your insurance.
In response to your second question - well, both residences are oversubscribed so everybody who puts it down stands a chance of not getting it (if you see what I mean). People who put Leeds as firm do stand a slightly higher chance but insurance people do still have a chance.
Sorry I can't be any more definite than that.
photojam
is Oxley oversubscribed too?

No it isn't - I never really understand why because it's got so much going for it - the gym, the bar, the playing fields, the common rooms and it's really beautiful too.
Come and see it on Saturday!
Reply 18
I wish I could go to the open day, but i'll be unable to attend. I was thinking/already have applied to Ellerslie as I really like the concept of the meal card and plus I was told I would be restricted by my age. (17 in a week) to which hall i could apply for. Can anybody shed some light on this and is Ellerslie a popular choice? Judging by these forums probably not but its close to the pharmacology building after all. Can anyone shed some light on my probably misinformed opinions? =D
Reply 19
accomoffice
The Wizard is right (and thus escapes a stern telling off :p: ) - you are guaranteed accommodation if you put Leeds as your insurance.
In response to your second question - well, both residences are oversubscribed so everybody who puts it down stands a chance of not getting it (if you see what I mean). People who put Leeds as firm do stand a slightly higher chance but insurance people do still have a chance.
Sorry I can't be any more definite than that.

thank you, i'll come and have a nose on saturday :smile:

Latest